Smoker for making summer sausage??

Sandstrom

WKR
I am looking for some advice on a smoker for making summer sausage. My understanding is I need one that will do around 170 degrees and hold that temp. Also if anyone has any killer recipes I am all ears!! I have a bunch of elk that I would like to use.
Thanks,
Ryan

It's hard to beat a Master built 40 electric for the price. What I will say about it is if your gonna get serious about smoking you'll want to add the mailbox mod.

GPool1842

WKR
Man, if you want to learn how to really manage a fire and learn a new hobby, look at a Hasty Bake. You can’t beat the flavor off of them. If you want to just push a button and walk away, then look at electric options. I do jerky and snack sticks on the Hasty and they are phenomenal.

Remsp10

FNG
There are a ton of options out there to achieve your goal. I would suggest perusing Smoking Meat Forums to read reviews of different smokers that fit your style. I personally have a Green Mountain Pellet Grill. Their customer service, ease of assembly and use is great!

TheTone

WKR
I use a green mtn pellet grille for all my smoking including summer sausage. Very happy with it

SpringTom

FNG
It's hard to beat a Master built 40 electric for the price. What I will say about it is if your gonna get serious about smoking you'll want to add the mailbox mod.
Absolutely!

You can also use their cold smoking attachment, though in a particular way. I only turn on the heating element to get an ember going, then I shut off the element and point a small fan towards the slightly opened ash door. It keeps the small ember stoked just enough and circulates the smoke perfectly.. yes I'm a bit of a fanatic, but it works wonderfully.

Definitely get a Masterbuilt.. a very versatile, easy to use piece of kit. You can even keep stuff heated/cooking on low during big holidays and parties what have you.

Also love my Masterbuilt, simply can't go wrong with it. It holds temp very well and is extremely reliable, in fact it's so easy it almost feels like cheating.

ODB

WKR
I had a Smoke Vault and loved it. Had to sell it during a move, but looking forward to getting another.

jmez

WKR
Masterbuilt 40. You can just buy a smoke box if you don't want to make the mailbox mod. Masterbuilt sells one.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
Seems everyone is voting for Masterbuilt smoker .
I have a propane master built and have a very hard time holding below 170 in summer. I’ve messed with it some, and need to do more, but I find it lacking At this point. Running it very low it will go out every few minutes and to run it high enough to not go out it tends over 170. Winter it is fine, but the temp is still kind of all over the place even on a still day.

Love my Masterbuilt Smoker

View attachment 320613
I use this same master built smoker. Holds a lot of stuff, and easy to use.

I use the High mountain seasoning cracked pepper and garlic kit for my summer sausage

After smoking the summer sausage, I always put them on a tray in the refrigerator over night. The next morning I cut them in half, then vacuum seal all the halves individually. After vacuum sealing them I leave in the refrigerator for a couple days before freezing.

Turns out great every time.

TSAMP

WKR
Personally I would want to smoke much lower than 170. You want to be careful not to liquefy the fat content. My GMG can do 150 and I've had success doing SS. I've also had issues, especially as grease builds up inside it seems to raise the internal temp without me knowing it. Doing multiple batches its important to clean it out between. I'd roll with a cheap vertical smoker if I was you.

cnelk

WKR
Maybe a stupid question but do you notice a difference between laying the summer sausage flat vs hanging them? We have always hung them which sucks in the smoker we have and I have been looking at a taller model.

I hang them too. No difference

AF4ACC96-6A9B-4F9E-A48E-4B994A4EF0E0.jpeg

What are everyone's thoughts between the Masterbuilt smoke box, mailbox mod and the pellet mazes that you stick inside the smoker? Is it worthwhile/better to just buy the one from Masterbuilt or are the others any better? Just curious if it comes down to money or better functionality with one of them to help with smoking at lower temps. Thanks.