Smoker - Pit Boss 7 Series?

treillw

WKR
Hoping to get a smoker on black friday. Wanna do chicken, pork, brisket, summer sausage, sausage, and jerky. Don't want to mess with charcoal and baby it all the time really.

What do you think of this pit boss 7 series? Pit boss any good? I have some cabelas points that I would like to use up, but I don't need to purchase from them if there is a better product elsewhere.

I'm leaning towards a vertical smoker over a grill/traeger, because they seem to have much more capacity. I think this will be a big advantage while doing jerky. I don't really want to mess with multiple batches and it seems like you can only get about 10 pounds of jerky on a bigger traeger.

What would you suggest?

Thanks!

Ive had the 5 series for 3-4 years and I love it.

Done lots of game, cured and smoked pig/deer hams, sausages, jerky and lots of brisket, pork Butts, ribs, chicken and turkeys.

The shelves are easy to move, and work well and are sturdy to use only the top and hang sausages or meat off it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I got a 5 series also. Works great. There is not much to them. To my understanding most parts are interchangeable with traeger. 4 years, not rust and fires up every time.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I assume the 7 series is an upgrade from the 5 series?

UtahJimmy

WKR
I researched until my eyes bled last year and ended up with the camp chef XXL vertical for same reasons you mentioned. I've been very happy with my purchase. Holds temp like a champ (+/- 5°), oodles of surface area for large batches of jerky, hanging hooks for sausage, easy to clean, and operates through an app over wifi. My only complaint would be max temp is 350, but I have a grill for high heat grilling.

As stupid as the wifi sounds, it's amazing to be able to monitor and adjust from anywhere. I can throw meat on at night or in the morning and be in the office and change the settings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They are all pretty well China made. Pit boss, Masterbuilt, Smoke hollow ect. All seem to have similar/same controll boards ect..
Ive seen controll board failure in a few of them. You can get the control boards for $50-90 depending on brand/model. Just sucks when they fail mid smoke.

I like the Pit boss units but the internal temp/airflow doesn’t seem real even. Just have to rotate stuff during the smoke.

I've had issues with mine. The bottom rusted out and the controller just feeds pellets on a timer it seems. As a result of the extra airflow, I can't get it to stabilize temperatures now.

It is under warranty currently, so I will be giving them a call in the early spring.

Forgot to mention... very uneven heat as well. There's a specific way I orientate a brisket to account for this as a result, with the point end towards the heat. For other foods that means rotation is usually necessary.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I researched until my eyes bled last year and ended up with the camp chef XXL vertical for same reasons you mentioned. I've been very happy with my purchase. Holds temp like a champ (+/- 5°), oodles of surface area for large batches of jerky, hanging hooks for sausage, easy to clean, and operates through an app over wifi. My only complaint would be max temp is 350, but I have a grill for high heat grilling.

As stupid as the wifi sounds, it's amazing to be able to monitor and adjust from anywhere. I can throw meat on at night or in the morning and be in the office and change the settings.

From what I'm seeing, this one looks pretty good. The wifi is nice and I can't really find any reviews/youtube videos on the 7 series pit boss. More capacity too. Might be going this way.

Cubera67

FNG
Hoping to get a smoker on black friday. Wanna do chicken, pork, brisket, summer sausage, sausage, and jerky. Don't want to mess with charcoal and baby it all the time really.

What do you think of this pit boss 7 series? Pit boss any good? I have some cabelas points that I would like to use up, but I don't need to purchase from them if there is a better product elsewhere.

I'm leaning towards a vertical smoker over a grill/traeger, because they seem to have much more capacity. I think this will be a big advantage while doing jerky. I don't really want to mess with multiple batches and it seems like you can only get about 10 pounds of jerky on a bigger traeger.

What would you suggest?

Thanks!
I had a traeger for many years and wore it out, finally had the control board go it which still can be replaced but I went and got a Green Mountain Grill which has been amazing! Highly recommend the GMG for its options out of the box. I got the Daniel Boone model. Love it!

BBob

WKR
That's not a sale, that's a SALE! Wow, how could you not buy one at that price?

ETA: pretty sure this is a scam...

Any bets on that being a scam site? Looks just like many other scam sites like the RTIC knockoff site all advertising too good to believe prices.

I quickly came up with at least three websites with the “Pit Boss” name selling grills and smokers.

bobr1

WKR

What would you suggest?

Thanks!
I used to only use charcoal and a Weber Smokey mountain bullet smoker. But I spent the majority of the time adjusting the dampers for the cooking temp. Got a GMG electric smoker and it is so much easier to do. I can set it and forget. Actually doing a Turkey for thanksgiving right now. It has plenty of capacity I could easily put a second Turkey on it if wanted. It gets hot enoug to grill or do pizzas or cool enough to cold smoke. Regardless of what you get the electric systems are normally a lot easier and consistent when using them

Phaseolus

WKR
I built my own pig roaster/smoker, it’s not real efficient from a wood supply point of view. I live next to peach orchards and get my wood from them.1DAE543B-B7AB-467E-B3C1-50B3A365118C.png522DAB3B-71D9-4502-A7C3-CBDC1926DED9.jpeg