Smoker Welding Blanket/Insulator

treillw

WKR
Any suggestions on how to insulate a 36" camp chef pellet grill in cold temps?

My buddy told me he uses a welding blanket. Camp chef makes toppers that are bare on the side. Not sure which would work better. Suggestions?

Thanks!

I tried the welding blanket on a gas smoker years ago and I didn't like all the stuff that came off it around my food. Maybe there's differences from one to another, but the one I tried would shed pieces of fiberglass type stuff.

Wvroach

WKR
I burn a lot of rods, laying on belts and such with welding blankets I get covered in fiberglass shards.

I don't think I'd want to have that around my food. The higher quality blankets don't shed near as much and since you won't be having any slag landing on them or spatter you may not have that issue.

magnum

FNG
I use a Harbor Freight 4 ft x 6 ft fiberglass welding blanket on my Woodwind 24. Works great. Did a brisket when outdoor conditions were snowing and in the 20’s. The smoker temperature was very stable through the entire 12 hour smoke. I opted for the welding blanket since the Camp Chef insulators were sold out at the time. Now I’m happy I have the extra coverage afforded by the blanket. Happy smoking.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I tried the welding blanket on a gas smoker years ago and I didn't like all the stuff that came off it around my food. Maybe there's differences from one to another, but the one I tried would shed pieces of fiberglass type stuff.
I burn a lot of rods, laying on belts and such with welding blankets I get covered in fiberglass shards.

I don't think I'd want to have that around my food. The higher quality blankets don't shed near as much and since you won't be having any slag landing on them or spatter you may not have that issue.
Does the blanket have to get pretty hot to shed material?

Wvroach

WKR
Does the blanket have to get pretty hot to shed material?
Not the yellow and off white ones I've used, they shed immediately. The thicker black fiberglass/canvas material lincoln ones I haven't noticed as much shedding with.

They are around $200 though vs the typical 20-30$ ones though.