Smoker

92xj

WKR
I have one of those masterbuilt kegerator-sized smokers. I bought it years ago, but I hardly ever use it. I've been thinking of getting rid of it.

I usually end up using my Traeger instead. The pellet grill is a lot more versatile. I use it all the time for day-to-day smoking/baking/etc. The masterbuilt might be a little better setup for doing large batches of jerky, but besides that I like the Traeger better for pretty much everything.

Its been so long since I used it, I can't remember how low of temp you can actually smoke at with the masterbuilt. But if you're serious about cold smoke, I'd still go with a pellet grill, I'd just get one of the setups that has specific cold smoke capabilities. They'll be more expensive, but you'll get more bang for your $.

I completely agree! I never use my bbq or master built anymore unless I am making jerky. For burgers, I just turn it up high and it works like a bbq with indirect heat. The traeger does it all. Just smoke or bbq!

R_burg

WKR
I would disagree on a pellet grill being more versatile then just about any other smoker out there. A pellet grill is a grill that burns pellets for cooking not smoking and most guys find they need to add a pellet tube or tray to the grill to get the smoke flavor up to par with other smokers. If all you want to do is grill burgers, chicken or the like and have a little smoke flavor then by all means get a grill but if you want to actually smoke food and be able to control the temp then get a smoker. If you want the true smoking experience then get a wood burning smoker. Plus most pellet grills are way overpriced for what they are.
This is a misnomer. You randomly read this on forum threads, invariably from new people, presumably used to oversmoking on their old stick burners.

There are plenty of guys smoking at competions and doing very well with pellet smokers. Do some research. None use tubes. You will always see them chime-in in those threads complaining about lack of smoke. They always are some of the most respected guys on the forum. You be the judge of who to trust.

Smoke should add flavor and enhance your enjoyment of the meat. The point isnt to taste smoke first and meat second.

I'm no professional smoker but I've used a few different types of smokers and did plenty of research before I bought a pellet smoker, and I haven't found any truth to the claim they don't provide enough smoke.

Last edited:

SK Zai

FNG
Curious what smoker you guys use and have luck with. I'm considering an electric smoker of some kind. I'd rather save $ but have no problem spending a little more for quality and dependability. I'll likely be using it for smoked salmon, venison, and a variety of wild game.
Masterbuilt 20075315 is currently the best smoker out there

PA Hunter

WKR
Yoder YS640 for me. And I disagree with someone above. The thing DOES smoke. Just buy legit pellets made with the real wood you are wanting to smoke with. My understanding is some pellet brands are just "flavored" woods, oils and such. While I would love to use a stick burner, I just flat out don't have the time at this stage of my life to tend a fire. Set it and forget it with the Yoder fits my lifestyle at this time. Best of luck with whatever you choose. I'm really not sure you can go wrong with any of the suggestions.
You have the smoker I want bad!!!

Really like my WSM. Should have got the 21.5” though.

My dad judges BBQ competitions and he says the pellet smokers all over them these days.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Have a Smokin’ Brothers pellet on the back porch and a Traeger Tailgater in the camper. I like being able to grill or smoke on the same unit. Never had any complaints about what comes off either.

USA made. All stainless. Easy to repair/replace the few components it uses. $350 to your door.

Smokin-It Model #1
- 12 foot power cord
- Big roller wheels on bottom
- Camo cover
- 3 Stainless racks

I use ancient grape vines for smoke. Takes about 4-8 oz per smoke of a nice big pork tenderloin.

More sizes for a bit more money if you want larger. Bulletproof. Foolproof. Merica!

20190504_153613.jpg

Last edited:
Pellet grill vs stick burner is akin to jerking off vs getting laid
The end results are bout the same but one of them is a helluva lot more fun than the other. Learn to use a good stick burner or ceramic grill/smoker and it'll do everything a pellet grill will plus some. I do admire the ease and convenience of pellet rigs but learning to actual control your heat and how to actually smoke meat with a stick rig gives me more beer time

Poser

WKR
Spend some time in the BBQ capitals of America: Memphis, rural West TN, St Louis, Austin, KC, Eastern NC, Western NC, South Carolina Low Country etc and make some observations: the best BBQ comes from stick smokers and pellets smokers are or middle class white guy gear heads who shop at Bass Pro.

Having spent an amount of time attending BBQ competitions, using the competitive markets as a justification for pellets is N/A because that market has become saturated with bullshit techniques and trickery such as sugar brine injections (again, by middle class white guy, gear heads) to the point that the actual smoking is one of the less emphasized steps in the process of winning. Get yourself a simple side by side smoker and focus on the meat and not geeking out over your equipment.

To my knowledge, no Michelin stars have ever been awarded to BBQ from a pellet smoker however, there are at least 2 bbq joints with rudimentary smokers that have been awarded such honors.

Furthermore, pellet smokers are just LAME. Don’t be lame.

Spend some time in the BBQ capitals of America: Memphis, rural West TN, St Louis, Austin, KC, Eastern NC, Western NC, South Carolina Low Country etc and make some observations: the best BBQ comes from stick smokers and pellets smokers are or middle class white guy gear heads who shop at Bass Pro.

Having spent an amount of time attending BBQ competitions, using the competitive markets as a justification for pellets is N/A because that market has become saturated with bullshit techniques and trickery such as sugar brine injections (again, by middle class white guy, gear heads) to the point that the actual smoking is one of the less emphasized steps in the process of winning. Get yourself a simple side by side smoker and focus on the meat and not geeking out over your equipment.

To my knowledge, no Michelin stars have ever been awarded to BBQ from a pellet smoker however, there are at least 2 bbq joints with rudimentary smokers that have been awarded such honors.

:LOL::rolleyes:

jmez

WKR

Shalom!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Titan

WKR
Man there is some serious bitterness towards pellet smokers. I bet you guys were saying the same thing about e-lectronic mail back in the day. Ha! Just messing with you guys.

I'm always looking for a way to simplify - I fill up a hopper, set the temp, plug in a bluetooth thermometer and go to sleep for 8 hours. I love it.

ChrisS

WKR
Man there is some serious bitterness towards pellet smokers. I bet you guys were saying the same thing about e-lectronic mail back in the day. Ha! Just messing with you guys.

I'm always looking for a way to simplify - I fill up a hopper, set the temp, plug in a bluetooth thermometer and go to sleep for 8 hours. I love it.
Yep. I'm looking at picking up a Pitboss just to do sausages and fish. I do roasts, ribs and pulled pork on my Weber. I looked at building my own smoke box, but I lost interest as I was adding up the cost of components and time compared to just getting a vertical pellet smoker.

I prefer the overall versatility of a kamado cooker. In one ceramic vessel I can roast, bake, simmer, grill, sear, barbecue and smoke. One of the best things about a kamado cooker (think Kamado Joe and Green Egg) is the gasketed construction which produces very high humidity levels inside. More delicate meats and veggies don't finish dried out. The ceramic (think firebrick) construction gives them great ability to hold heat when cooking in cold weather, and ours gets used throughout the year even when snow is on the ground. Nothing beats a slow-smoked beef brisket in January! There are plenty of ways to go for smoking meats and such. The important thing for me was to get the unit that gave me maximum versatility and opportunity to use it frequently.
...and they last forever

Camp chef PG24SG. Moved to it from WSM 22, advantages to both but really love my camp chef. EzPz cooking.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dazz397

FNG
I got the traeger from Costco for my first smoker. Afterwards I went back and got a charcoal smoker to try it. The charcoal smoker has more flavor but traeger is good enough and too convenient compared to the charcoal smoker. I only use my traeger now.

SWOHTR

WKR
Bought a cheap offset smoker and enjoyed using it for 3 years.

Moved and bought a used Kamado Joe Classic I. I love that thing! Incredibly versatile as noted above. I still long for a stick burner again but the KJ is my family’s current favorite.

wesfromky

WKR
I "cheat" even more - sous vide, then finish on a GMG pellet grill. Super easy and perfect results without having to spend a ton of time.