Snack Stick fun...

Tod osier

WKR
I’ve been making snack sticks the past couple weeks and they have been turning out really well. I’ve never made snack sticks, but I’ve made a lot of fresh sausages and fermented sausages like Landjaeger, Soppressata, Pepperoni, etc.

My son shot his first deer this year and wanted to make snack sticks. The donor:

GHJpoKq.jpg

First batches just out of the smoker – 15 pounds of Jagerwurst and 15 pounds of Hot Sticks:

s1mF2Fm.jpg

Batch we did these this weekend, 15 pounds of basically Summer Sausage as a Snack Stick:

CUCzrdA.jpg

Cutting for packaging:

VaJ8oxf.jpg

Ready for packaging:

JsEKdPy.jpg

New toys. We had been using an entry level chamber vac (VP 112) and upgraded to the VP 215 – what an improvement in speed, ease, quality and noise reduction. Also upgraded the stuffer from a 5 pound vertical to a 15 pound horizontal.

N4He6bk.jpg

I got these reloaded for him on Friday for next year, so hopefully they will be put to good use:

uoGQ17n.jpg

SLR0rzq.jpg

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Congratulations on the buck, and the sticks look great! What was your smoking process?

I'm working on getting my system dialed in. I'm using a masterbuilt propane and have found the temperature harder to control than I'd like to finish the sticks. I'm sure you know this, but with the sitcks you are looking to bring the smoker temp up at the end to 170-180 to bring the internal stick temp to 150, but not go much over because you will melt the fat in the stick. It seems like I get more fluctuation with the smoker at 170-180 with sticks than I do with salmon at 150, also it isn't very even internally. What I did that I really liked for the last batch is to smoke the sticks for several hours on low with smoke and then just finish them in the oven for 15 minutes at 175 convection which gives a very even and consistent heat. It brought them right up to 150 very evenly and quickly.

An evolving process for me...

Azone

WKR
Sounds like and looks like you're getting it figured out pretty good. I myself have only made sticks a handful of times and that was with an electric Masterbuilt. The temperature also fluctuated wildly at times from what it was set at, resulting in at least one batch of doggy treats. Im currently working on a new electric smoker that will have a PID control in it, now to just find the time to finish the dang thing.

Poptart

FNG
Those look way better than the ones I paid too much to have made. Like the low smoke and finish in the oven method. Have you ventured into adding jalapeños and some cheddar.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Those look way better than the ones I paid too much to have made. Like the low smoke and finish in the oven method. Have you ventured into adding jalapeños and some cheddar.

Thanks, for the complement. We haven't experimented much yet. For the hot sticks we used our own home grown and made Chipolte powder for spice (ripe red Jalapenos that are smoked and dried).

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Sounds like and looks like you're getting it figured out pretty good. I myself have only made sticks a handful of times and that was with an electric Masterbuilt. The temperature also fluctuated wildly at times from what it was set at, resulting in at least one batch of doggy treats. Im currently working on a new electric smoker that will have a PID control in it, now to just find the time to finish the dang thing.

I'm frankly surprised at the degree of fluctuation I got, having a pid controller will really help. Even in a closed barn with no wind, the temps varied more than i would have liked. I think I'm good as far as this technique with keeping it low and finishing in the oven. I'd rather make fermented and dried sausage like Landjaegers were it solely up to me.

Azone

WKR
I'm frankly surprised at the degree of fluctuation I got, having a pid controller will really help. Even in a closed barn with no wind, the temps varied more than i would have liked. I think I'm good as far as this technique with keeping it low and finishing in the oven. I'd rather make fermented and dried sausage like Landjaegers were it solely up to me.

You would think with no wind drawing heat off of it it would stay alot more consistent. Have you ever tried wrapping the smoker with a blanket for insulation? I've read of people doing that, but have never tried it myself.