Snake boots/gaiters

Aswob5

FNG
Anybody have any recommendations on a snake boot/gaiter? It’ll be in Rattlesnake country for early season spot and stalk and shed hunting in the spring. So comfort and something that won’t kill me with the heat walking miles upon miles a day.

Snake boots suck and unless you live in a snake infested area, snake guardz are all you need. They provide protection for hog hunts too.

Explorer

FNG
I guess it depends on what you are doing.
I have been waring snake boots going on 20 years now. But, I have had rattle snakes on my door step, and they could be most places I go. Most snake boots are hot, heavy, awkward, and not that comfortable. But snake gators and chaps are the same. I go through spells where I ware them and then I don't. It just depends on what I am doing. I know more people that have been bitten than I can count. Almost all were guys that were screwing with them. But some happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Two stepped out of their truck on a snake. So for me it is boots, because when I leave the house they are on my feet and they don't come off till I am back indoors. If I wore gators I would take them off when in my truck and would not have them on when I need them. With gators, you also need to make sure the parts of your shoes not covered are snake proof. Boots are expensive to buy if you don't wear them much.
I have worn a couple different Chippewa models and some lace up boots.
These are the ones I have now and they are the best I have worn so far.
I had these for about a year now. They are really light and pretty comfortable. My feet have never gotten wet despite some 12 to 15 mile days where it rained all day. They seem to be a little wide on my foot. These, like most of the snake boots I have tried, seem to be designed for big guys with big calves. I had to punch new holes in the calf strap to cinch it tight enough. I like to ware them under my pants so the boots don't fill up with sticks and stuff.
I guess the the best answer is what you will ware the most. I ware these a lot more since they are more comfortable than my previous boots.

Last edited:
OP
Aswob5

Aswob5

FNG
Thanks for the info guys. I have smaller calves so I think I’ll try the some off the other brands of boots first then go from there

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the Irish Setter VaprTreks and they're a decent boot. Ill put 60+ miles on mine spring-early fall and they will last me about 3 years. Not ideal for a lot of miles but they're OK. Honestly if I was going to cover more than 4-5 miles a day I would go with a taller hiking boot and take my chances.

Hogyotedeer

Banned
I’m in the woods at least 14 days a month and I’m rough on boots. The only thing that happens to the bayou boots is the zipper fails and I just replace them. I’ve tried just about every brand boot and these are the most comfortable for me. I wear them all season long because it doesn’t get cold enough for insulated boots.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Another vote for turtle skins, the best option out there if you are stacking up miles. Only advice I’d have is if you have the option, wear breathable non-gortex boots with them. They are light, but hot. Your lower legs will sweat a lot and all the moisture goes straight into your boots.