snake boots that your can actually hike in?

SDHNTR

WKR
I hunt a ranch in SoCal that is filthy with rattlesnakes! Saw more this year than I ever have before. It compelled me to buy snake boots. This ranch is also steep and mountainous. It's not Texas! I do lots of steep hiking and sidehilling. Because of this, I spent the money, did the research and bought $300 Danners thinking they would be better than most. I was wrong. They are awful. Most uncomfortable thing I've ever worn. They rubbed my calves raw at the top, and turned my feet into hamburger. Didn't breathe and made my feet sweat worse than my nether regions. Is there anything else out there worth trying? Or am I simply trying to find the impossible with a snake boot that you can actually hike in?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I haven't looked into gaiters yet. Any you'd recommend? All the ones I've seen look too rigid for hiking.

Last edited:

TxxAgg

WKR
Any leather hiking boots will work but your calves won't be protected like with stove tops. I think gaiters would work for you.
Might look at Turtleskins.

A.Hutch

FNG
I've always had really good luck with the bass pro snake boots. I hunt some pretty rugged terrain. But they may not fit your feet properly.

Hutch

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve heard good things about turtleskins. Never used them, but I’ve got my eye on them for this year.

ChrisAU

WKR
Regular gaiters no not a chance.

I have some Crackshot Snake Guardz that I have worn around rrecently. Seem to be the ticket.

FLAK

WKR
I hunt a ranch in SoCal that is filthy with rattlesnakes! Saw more this year than I ever have before. It compelled me to buy snake boots. This ranch is also steep and mountainous. It's not Texas! I do lots of steep hiking and sidehilling. Because of this, I spent the money, did the research and bought $300 Danners thinking they would be better than most. I was wrong. They are awful. Most uncomfortable thing I've ever worn. They rubbed my calves raw at the top, and turned my feet into hamburger. Didn't breathe and made my feet sweat worse than my nether regions. Is there anything else out there worth trying? Or am I simply trying to find the impossible with a snake boot that you can actually hike in?

I think I have the same pair of Danners you bought. Most uncomfortable pair of footwear I've ever had. It's all I can do to get the left one zippered up and the right one is impossible. I just tie them and forget about zipping. I'll never buy another pair of snake boots. I'll keep wearing my Keen' and gonna get me a pair of Turtleskinz gaiters.

Base14

FNG
Turtle skin... wear them in north Texas and western Oklahoma all seasons. Yea you will sweat in the summer but it’s 100*. I also wear them in the winter for cactus/mesquite protection.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Turtleskinz gators.... word of advice, make sure to wear really breathable boots/good wool socks if it’s hot, I’d go non waterproof. You will sweat so much into your boots it gets pretty damp, definitely want something breathable that won’t hold all that moisture in like gortex.

Yarak

WKR
Take a look at Chippewa snake boots
Ive had a pair for years and put many miles on them each year
The only problem Ive seen is pulling them off...you definitely need a boot jack

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use Irish Setter Vaprtrek snake boots for my hilly terrain walking boots during turkey season. I’ve had great luck with them.

Seth

WKR
We use the Turtleskins at work and they are not bad. I will second the suggestion of a non Goretex boot to pair with them.

jmez

WKR
They are hot, not as hot as snake boots. Also easy on/ off to air out when taking a break, unlike snake boots. Far better than dedicated snake boots

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
The problem with snake boots is you're asking the boot to be both comfortable and snakeproof. We all know how hard it is to get a boot to fit even considering the wide range of choices available. That wide range is narrowed to only a handful if you choose the snakeboot approach.

I ran across several Timber Rattlers this year, almost stepping on one, which forced me to address the issue. My choice was to get a good full-grain leather boot and Turtleskin gaiters. That way, I'm getting great boots designed solely for hunting/backpacking and left the snake protection to the gaiters. The Turtleskins are lightweight. I also, got a pair of the Turtleskin chaps for times when I am going up steep terrain in an area where a snake could be above me and possibly strike above the knee, as exceedingly rare as that would be.

Now, I can focus on getting where I'm going when out in the woods, and enjoy my time there, rather than be constantly looking where each foot is stepping. It is a huge relief to get past this issue and I didn't care what it cost to resolve it.

Im in the same boat with a filthy amount of snakes. My wife got bit by a water moccasin on the family dove hunt this year. Bit her right on the side of her chipawa snake boot. She was watching the kids walk when she felt it/saw it.
My issue with snake gators is they dont protect your toe or heal.
My dad wears them all the time and they make me nervous. Most of the time you see a rattle snake pretty easy. Where a cotten mouth and copper head blend in so easy.
I run Russell snake boots. Down side it took forever to break in, there $750.00, take 6 months to be made, and you cant get them waterproof and a pain to lace up.

Plus side they do not get hot ever. They are custom made to your feet. Lots of support, very comfy.

So saying that im on the fence about russell and if something is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
I agree the entire foot is at risk with snake gaiters which is why I chose a thick, full-grain leather boot. I can't imagine that a Timber Rattler is going to be able to penetrate 2.6mm+ full-grain leather.

I wouldn't wear a synthetic-material, or nubuck, boot as I would have no confidence a fang couldn't penetrate it.