Snake boots

Looking for a few reviews on snake boots from anyone that has done some hiking in them. Durability? Long lasting?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
Take your pic. To me, they are all a PIA, but unfortunately a necessary evil in the South. They're hot as crap and fit nothing like a quality boot, but if your in flatter terrain they are bareable. My most recent are from Bass pro, but of the pairs I've owned, they we're all about the same.

The best snake boots I've every owned (and still do) are Chippewa Descaro. They're leather so if taken care of they hold up well. Took a while to break in and they can be a little warm on long hikes. I wear lightweight merino socks and have no issues. They are kind of expensive.

I am actually interested in the Danner Vital Snake Boot. Some don't like danner but my old pronghorns are still going strong.

I live in snake boots. Chippewa and danner sharptails, they work great in STX and panhandle but not any where there is an ounce of side hilling, they are basically cowboy boots with better soles, extremely comfortable though. If you are going to be in any side hilling country wear all leather hiking boots and get the everlasting snake gaiters or turtle skin.

Last edited:

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Rocky lites, ive been wearing for years. Have to spray water proofing on them and silicone the seams to keep them from leaking. But thats the most common gripe with most, is they leak in the heavy dues of the south.

If possible id go to stores and try on as many pairs as i could. Check out the reviews on the ones that fit you well

I have a pair of irish setters too. There too thick for me when it gets above 50 or so. Other than that there good boots too.

Btaylor

WKR
I have had Lacrosse lace ups and now have Irish Setters. Love the IS's. Next pair will probably be the Lacrosse Alpha snake boot due to the amount of water and mud we have to deal with down here. Less walking around and more walking through. :)

Mosby

WKR
I bought a pair of Russell's when I lived in Texas. Hot but better than chaps, that always seemed to be left in the truck. Very comfortable boots and worth every penny when you are walking in buffalo grass. The lease I was on was full of rattlesnakes.

I use Rocky ProLites. They are light and for what they are they are good to walk in. I think if I was backpacking or doing a lot of walking I would look for a better quality boot. I have primarily used them in South Florida but now I am hunting in Alabama And they have worked well there. I spend a lot of time on an atv and then just short walks to where I am hunting. They are ok for that.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
I use Chippewa's for most everything in Texas. Have had a bunch of strikes not penetrate while running hog dogs. You can run in them fairly well, walking for hours is no problem. I've not used them in any sort of hills

CP6

FNG
I have worn snake boots for turkey and early archery for many years. Danner Pronghorns were my favorite until they came out with the side zip (POS zipper, small teeth, small pull). I tried the LaCrosse and after the third pair in 4 months due to leaking (when I say leaking I mean they didn’t even slow down dew in the morning; feet wet instantly) I’ll not go back. Plus side is they were nearly as comfortable as the Danner when dry and the side zip was way more comfortable. I tried Chippewa slip on in all leather which were ok in Texas and Oklahoma with mostly flat, cactus laden terrain since cactus blows right through the synthetic materials on most snake boots. But, as someone said above, Cowboy boots with better soles. I usually walk between 4-6 miles a day, sometimes more and hunt 40-45 days in the spring spanning several states and varied terrain so comfort and versatility is a must. The Danner, if I had to pick, are the best for me, but you just have to really baby the zipper (and they’re waterproof for just a little while before it the sleeve gets compromised.

That said, I’m experimenting with hiking boots and Turtle Skin gaiters. While I can’t wade creeks without getting totally soaked, they are lighter, more comfortable, and offer more support than snake boots I’ve tried. The only downside that I’m trying to work around is the gaiters ride up on my hiking boots above where I’m comfortable the thick leather lowers will stop a bite. I’ve kinda solved it with some #2 S clips, but it’s still not ideal. Being able to unzip them when you’re not walking around to vent is really nice, but to be honest they’re not all that hot to me.

I don’t see a ton of snakes, but the photo attached is why I wear them. Just good insurance and let’s me focus more on getting through the woods to an animal and not running a headlamp in the dark walking in.

Attachments

• 8F2C0C51-A810-4400-8D7E-CC2BB76096E4.jpeg
    8F2C0C51-A810-4400-8D7E-CC2BB76096E4.jpeg
    490.3 KB · Views: 22