snake boots ?

id450

WKR
you guys wear snake boots or gaiters out there? SOunds like rattlers are plenty?

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
I work every day in buzz snake country and never where snake gators. As WYTX mentioned just be on high alert and use your head where you step.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Snake boots are going to tear your feet up if you are doing any real hiking. Even if they fit well, they will make your feet/legs sweat so much you will end up with wet/sore/blistered feet. I wear them turkey hunting in the south in the swamps, but for antelope just be cautious, don’t step over logs/rock outcropping, cactus clusters, look/listen, you’ll be fine.

blackdawg

WKR
I have tried boots and gaiters. I bought a cheaper pair of gaiters and they are ok. I will probably upgrade to the Turtleskin gaiters next. The tall snake boots are very uncomfortable for me when in the rattlesnake/copperhead hills. Not as bad when on flat ground where the cottonmouths lurk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I

id450

WKR
cool, thanks guys. My app is in. Now it’s jut the waiting game.

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
i've wore out several pair of the redhead zippered snake boots over the last 15 years, they are extremely comfy but they got cheap or changed the sole on them and the rubber started peeling off them but i wore them all turkey season and all summer long coon hunting and they honestly were as comfy as boot as i've ever owned. I used to get them at the BP outlet store when i was up there for like 60-80 bucks. Since then and their new sole i bot a pair of irish setter vaprtrek snake boots, they are very comfy and held up well in the rain last year in WY i'm just so used to the zippered boot that BP made i could put them things on as quick or quicker than a pair of tennis shoes already tied that its a PITA to have to lace/tie normal snake boots, but other than lacing up the irish setter's i really like them so far. Your feet will get warm in them but i'll take that over losing my leg to a rattle snake bite, i got very lucky 2 years ago mule deer hunting in WY i had ran around a butte to get a shot at a big muley i had bumped and after standing in a place a couple minutes literally 2 steps from a monster prairie rattler i had no clue was there, turned to walk back up hill and 2nd step i was literally stepping on him, The good lord spared me and i heard him rattle/strike all at same time as my 2nd step and i jumped and kicked down at him as he struck the bottom of my boot sole and as i turned i saw a belly up rattler about 3.5-4' long as big around as my wrist rolling back over. Thats the most scared and adrenaline rush i've ever been in my life, i found a dead stick to go kill him and i just couldn't even go back over there. i was 2 miles in from the buggy, solid hour buggy ride hauling to camp, and then 2 hours from the nearest hospital, i was very lucky. What he was doing was laying on west facing rock bed that evening soaking up the sun, think it was 10/3 prolly 50ish degrees. if your in doubt whether you need to wear snake boots, wear them!

Sethmac

FNG
I wear Lacrosse Aerohead Snake boots..comfortable and waterproof