snake boots?

lubbockdave

Lil-Rokslider
been wearing Danner snake boots for years but wondering if there were any better alternatives?

I have worn chippewa snake boots for many years for hunting and regular ranch work in the south Texas brush. My current pair soon need to be replaced and I will be getting another pair.

Hondo

WKR
My favorite is the discontinued Justin Dune boots. The Chippewa's are good too (Justin owns Chippewa) but my Dune boots are not as hot to wear and I like the outsoles better.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Best pair I ever had were Cabelas. My son wore a pair forEVER.
I have Danners now, the most uncomfortable pair of boots I've
ever owned.
I will not buy another pair of snake boots, gonna try a pair of turtle
skinz gaiters.

Rokwiia

WKR
I have both the Turtleskin gaiters and chaps. I highly recommend them. I use the gaiters for general purpose hiking on a trail while reserving the chaps for bushwhacking.

The weakest link is the boots you wear under them so you need to be sure the leather is thick enough to withstand a bite. How thick is that? I really don't know and a few herpetologists I've contacted didn't want to speculate about mm thickness. They did say that a "sturdy" boot should work. I wear Schnee Absaroka and they are 2.8mm and I'm comfortable with them.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have the Turtleskin gaiters, but had much rather wear my snakeboots. For my upland terrain, I wear my Irish Setters. For my standing water terrain, I wear my Lacrosse rubber snakeboots. I love the setup that I’m using and wouldn’t change a thing.

yfarm

WKR
Live and hunt in south Texas. My boot history,current inventory and thoughts
First boot Browning Chip copy- comfortable fit well easy to walk in
Second Justin Dune coolest boot in hot weather, shaft design allows bellows effect to ventilate foot. Poor ground feel due to sole design. Heel slip while walking, wouldnt want to walk long distance
Third Russell featherweight with vibram Huez sole. Great boot, very comfortable good ground feel, dont ventilate as well as Justin as shaft is tighter fit
Fourth Russell turkey hunter with Huez sole No ventilation as lace up boot, good ground feel, can run in these comfortably. Use more and more despite ventilation
Fifth Turtleskin gaiters with Russell premium leather lined birdshooter lightest combo, good ground feel better ankle motion than the turkey hunter. Gaiter is like a sauna in high temps
Sixth Just bought a pair of Rocky Outback rear zipper boots. Lightest boot I’ve worn, easy entry with rear zipper, are waterproof with membrane and have a padded collar at the top so the boot doesnt ventilate well, heel slip while walking is noticable. Feels very comfortable right out of the box.
Number one boot you see on hunters in this state are Chips
Choice depends on use
Working around a ranch, on and off equipment or horses with limited walking Justin Dunes
Quail hunting walking behind dogs in high grass: Russell featherweight, Turkey or Turtleskin
Hog hunting in brush Russells or maybe the Rocky
Yes I have a boot problem, looking for the perfect boot.

thebadger

FNG
i like snake gaiters; can take them off easy if needed, fit in a pack so i always have them, and i can wear them with any boot or shoe i want.

Reactions: MJB

nphunter

WKR
Has anyone on this thread ever been struck and feel like their gaiters or snake boots saved them?
I use to wear snake gaiters, turtle skins, good leather boots with good regular gaiters. Lately I’ve just left them and wear boots, sometime tennis shoes depending on location. One spot we have to cross a creek in sandles where we hunt, I’ve seen a few snakes while hunting and walked around but have never had a close call.

Rokwiia

WKR
All my adult life I've worn running shoes or trailrunners. Never wore leather boots hiking until I encountered two Timber rattlers in separate occasions two years ago. Both times I was in the strike zone.

I spent a lot of time considering my alternatives. Freedom of movement with the trailrunners or safety with the boots and snake gaiters. Where I go, there is no cell service and I'm under the heavy canopy of trees. I decided that protection was the path I would pursue.

In a bite scenario, I'd have to rely on getting myself out of the woods, to the car, en route to a hospital, and then make a phone call. That isn't a tradeoff I want to take nor a risk I'm willing to assume. I carry a PLB and Inreach Mini but neither would lessen the hemotoxins coursing throughout my body if it were a non-dry bite.

Both times, the rattlers were perfectly camouflaged and impossible to see. In the first instance, it was almost stepped on and became very agitated. I can still hear the rattling in my mind. I think it is not a good idea to rely on one's ability to see them and thus avoid them. I always assumed I could and now know I can't.

I'll take the incovenience any day rather than risk the potential of losing toes, a foot, or even a leg...or more. YMMV.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Has anyone on this thread ever been struck and feel like their gaiters or snake boots saved them?
I use to wear snake gaiters, turtle skins, good leather boots with good regular gaiters. Lately I’ve just left them and wear boots, sometime tennis shoes depending on location. One spot we have to cross a creek in sandles where we hunt, I’ve seen a few snakes while hunting and walked around but have never had a close call.

3 times that I know of. Once while wearing snake chaps and twice in snake boots.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I live in the Deep South. I use lacross grange rubber boots with snake gaiters if I am in the swamps. If it’s somewhat dry where I am, I have a pair of Russell turkey hunters with the weather tough leather(or whatever they call it) not their stock leather option. I love them. If you’re in snake boots a lot like I am, the Russel’s are worth the money.

DuckDogDr

WKR
I wear the Irish setters and they are very comfortable. Not as water proof / resistant as I would like

Loper

WKR
I wear the LaCrosse alpha snake boots and love them. When I bought them I was primarily looking for a rubber waterproof boot and decided on these to give me the added benefit of snake protection. They fit my feet well and are comfortable. If they ever fell apart I’d buy another pair.

I wear a pair of waterproof Chippewas in South Texas. Once I put in a pair of insoles, they’ve been pretty comfortable. I do like the waterproof version for walking in damp tall grass. The Vibram outsoles used aren’t as aggressive as I’d like, and the lugs have worn down pretty quickly.