Snakes

weaver

WKR
Planning on hunting antelope in WY for the first time this year. Will be going during archery season. Ground blind and spot and stalk hunting. Do you guys wear snake boots or gaiters? Or will I be fine without if im carefull?

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
You'll be fine without the snake boots. Just keep your eyes open. Rattlers will stand their ground when forces to. But they will also try to run if they can. Of course, I suppose there are always a few mean ones.

I had a buzz worm in the blind with me a couple of years ago. He was tucked up under one of the flaps of my blind where I couldn't see him. But when I bumped the loose flap with my bow, he started buzzing. Needless to say, I sat perfectly still for some time. Every once in awhile I'd just barely touch the material he was hiding under and he would buzz. Finally I guess he decided to move on out of there. Wew!!!!!!! What a relief!

Last summer as I was hiking up in the hills after work, the rattlers were out in numbers. They kept pretty quiet when I got close which was unnerving. I'm ok with snakes in general. I had a gopher snake when I was a kid as a pet but the poisonous ones I'm not all that comfortable around. It makes me think a bit harder on getting some of those snake chaps or gaiters when I'm waking through thick grass in rattler country. Their first reflex is surly going to be biting you if you step on them. Watch where you step.

R

rebecca francis

I have been hunting in WY for 16 years and never seen a rattler. That doesn't mean they're not there, but I haven't seen them. It seems I can't go five feet in Utah without seeing them however. I would just say keep a vigilant eye and be cautious. Have fun and post pics!

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be back to WY this year again, I have seen a few dead on the road, but nothing alive.......and I've put on a mile or two spot and stalk! :)

OP
weaver

weaver

WKR
Thanks for the replies. Didnt know if was somthing to worry about or not.

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
As long as you are aware that they are there you will be fine. Growing up we would have them on our front porch and still never had any problems. Just give them a little space and you will be fine.

BuckSnort

WKR
I had a buzz worm in the blind with me a couple of years ago. He was tucked up under one of the flaps of my blind where I couldn't see him. But when I bumped the loose flap with my bow, he started buzzing. Needless to say, I sat perfectly still for some time. Every once in awhile I'd just barely touch the material he was hiding under and he would buzz. Finally I guess he decided to move on out of there. Wew!!!!!!! What a relief!

Man, I do the total opposite..This fat boy defies physics when I startle a buzztail.. I usually jump straight up in the air about 7 feet and end up coming down 20 feet from the rattler, Matrix style...lol

OP
weaver

weaver

WKR
Man, I do the total opposite..This fat boy defies physics when I startle a buzztail.. I usually jump straight up in the air about 7 feet and end up coming down 20 feet from the rattler, Matrix style...lol

I do that when i see a garter snake! So you can see why im paranoid about rattlers.

sk1

WKR
growing up in the midwest not having rattlers i hate them.......hate worrying about stepping on one...i hunt utah but try to stick to higher elevations for the early season where i don't need to be concerned about them. however that might change this year and i know the area has some rattlers, not excited about that thought at all

side note: what do you do if you are 2 to 4 miles in and get bit? they say to try and stay calm, not move fast, and slow your heart rate.....how do you do that and make it out if no cell phone service? good luck is what im thinking...

I used to think I was pretty safe from seeing them at the higher elevations until last year. I saw this guy out my way in the Sierras up in the Golden Trout Wilderness about a year back at 7,200 ft as I walked by the tree on the trail. Most of the times I see them it's out in the open sunning themselves.

It's one of those obstacles that's just part of the game we play in getting out in some of these awesome places. Be safe everybody and I hope you all have safe and successful adventures.

GoldenTroutWildernessSnake.jpg

BuckSnort

WKR
The biggest one I have killed was at 7,200'... It was HUGE, it had a gray squirrel halfway down it's throat when I walked up on it.. I have also killed many more at or near that elevation...

sk1

WKR
usually i hunt between 8500 and 10,500 ft and havent seen one yet, but they are definately all over utah in the 6500 to 8000 range

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Spotted one last summer on the road at 9500' last summer in Routt NF. Previously had thought that elevation implies no snakes.

As for chaps, don't put your hands or feet where you cant see them, shake out your blind before getting in it and don't worry about it. At least around Western Wyoming, unless you're looking at the right times of year and in the right spots stumbling across a snake is rare but happens enough to keep vigilant.

IrishnId

WKR
Last year wasn't to bad for the snakes during the antelope, and early deer archery hunt here, but the year before we ran into 8 of them in about 15 days of september. Kinda got a little old always looking around your feet.

mtmiller

WKR
I have never felt I needed any extra protection from snakes while chasing lopes with a bow. I don't think you should stress much about it.

They are usually pretty friendly anyway.

2-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

3.jpg

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
We hunt NE of Douglas and there definitely are a few around when it is hot. I am vigilant when walking around. Keep very close eye when in or around prairie dog towns. You can always find them there because they live in the burrows and chow the puppies. Last year we were stump shooting mounds walking out from scouting a water hole. I shot a mound and walked up reaching out to pick up my arrow. Got buzzed 3 feet from my hand. They are camo'd pretty good.
The ranchers nephew got struck digging in a wood pile last year. He coded on the life flight chopper heading into Douglas. They had to use the paddles on him to get him back. Yikes...nothing to take lightly.

I'm glad go4thegusto mentioned prarie dog towns. I nearly stepped on one a few years ago while antelope hunting in eastern Montana. He was right in the middle of a prarie dog town, in between two holes. These areas are great sources of food and shelter for snakes.

mtmiller

WKR
I have spent a little time on pdog towns. I am more apt to find a buzz-tail on a county road than a prairie dog town. Nothing to lose sleep over. Make it a fun hunt and don't stress about this minor detail.

Heck, pick up the snake shaps and go to town, what the hey.:D