Sneaking up on a whitetail with the squirrel shuffle

Pramo

WKR
Thought I'd post one of the tactics I use, as we all know in the east once the leaves fall you can't walk anywhere without making a ton of noise. About 10 years ago I decided I would try and sound like a squirrel as I move through the woods to some of my afternoon whiteoak stands.

I'd take a small thin twig and pop the ground and shuffle the leaves and after a few steps I would stop and have my stick climb a tree then run back down it. Sometimes I'll even mix in a few mouth calls and to anyone watching I'd look like a complete idiot. But after a few tries I noticed this was working and I was getting into my evening stands without blowing out all the deer within earshot.

One evening I saw a few does on a field edge 300 yards away in the heat of the rut, so I started "shuffling" over it took me 30-40 minutes but I finally got within 50 yards and saw a great buck. I ended up getting to the edge of the field and had the does funnel by at 15 yards with the buck trailing them. I shot him as he passed by while tucked in beside a bush and he is one of my biggest buck to date

It's a goofy way to move through the woods but it you can keep the wind in your face your will be amazed what "natural sounds" and whitetail will put up with.

2012 Buck - 3.jpg

2012 Buck - 4.jpg

Last edited:
I do the same thing, except I usually have a mouth call and try to sound like a turkey scratching around. I think the biggest thing is to break up your cadence while walking. If you listen to any animal walk throught he woods, it is hardly ever a steady walk without stopping. They take a few steps, pause then take a few more. As long as you have the wind inyour favor, this technique absolutely helps.

Nice technique and congrats. I'm sure that will be a rememberable hunt. The patience to walk slow is the hard part.

N2TRKYS

WKR
When going in to a new stand before daylight, I like to keep walking without stopping regardless of the ground clutter. I've had this work better than stopping periodically. I've noticed large bucks do this more so than stopping, as well. For stands that I already have in place near bedding areas, I clean out a path to those for quite walking.

jtw

WKR
My dad taught me to carry a call just to use when you make too noise on accident to make animals think you're something else. I've used this tactic still hunting blacktail and using it I'll see quite a few deer but if I just still hunt they don't seem to be as curious and I'll never see them. I like the idea of "squirrelling" Sounds like they just totally ignored you.

When going in to a new stand before daylight, I like to keep walking without stopping regardless of the ground clutter. I've had this work better than stopping periodically. I've noticed large bucks do this more so than stopping, as well. For stands that I already have in place near bedding areas, I clean out a path to those for quite walking.

Clearing a path is definitely a good idea. It's no fun to rake a 200yd path, but like you said it's great for sneaking into stands near bedding areas.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Clearing a path is definitely a good idea. It's no fun to rake a 200yd path, but like you said it's great for sneaking into stands near bedding areas.

I usually just clear the last 50 yards or so, depending on the setup. For most of my places, 200 yards will put me back at my pirogue. Lol

Sodbuster

WKR
Good technique and great buck. I carry a diaphragm turkey call for still early mornings. Usually just give a few soft yelps around sunrise and everything settles down. If the Turkey "danger alarm" is calm ,all is well.

mallard833

I do the same thing, except I usually have a mouth call and try to sound like a turkey scratching around. I think the biggest thing is to break up your cadence while walking. If you listen to any animal walk throught he woods, it is hardly ever a steady walk without stopping. They take a few steps, pause then take a few more. As long as you have the wind inyour favor, this technique absolutely helps.

There is definitely a cadence to a buck's footsteps when he is cruising and sent checking areas.