SNOTEL cams vs snow levels, discrepancy

JRMiller

WKR
So yesterday I starting reviewing the cams as I have a hunt coming up in two weeks but am perplexed as to why the snow pack level is given but then on the cams not an inch of snow is seen. There's one location that reads 54" of snow but when you view the cam you see no snow whatsoever.
I've looked at over a dozen sites and they all share similar inaccuracy.
Am i missing something here?
Or are these cams all just not working right?
thanks
JR

jolemons

WKR
Are you looking at total snow pack for the water year perhaps? They don't have a way to determine current conditions, only cumulative data.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
Those Snotel sites do need a fair amount of maintenance, since it’s the end of the season maybe that is the issue. A working Snotel site should give fairly accurate realtime data.

Jethro

WKR
Where you seeing the webcam for snotel stations? I've never seen that option on any of the stations I monitor in WY or CO.

Carr5vols

WKR

This may help...if will not tell you depth but you will know if snow is really there or not...

OP
J

JRMiller

WKR
The picture of the snotel site that shows on the website is just that... a picture. Not a live webcam.
Ok i could see that being the case.

Its a little misleading cause the 511 site does show actual real time vid, but of the highway passes.

anyhow, thanks im sure thats it