Snow goose trip

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, i and a group of friends have a trip planned for end of march first week of april to hunt snows in the southern 1/3 of North Dakota. Do you think birds will be there by then? any reports from guys down south or anyone who knows the typical time frame in that area ( i know every year is different) thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be okay, we typically hunt them in Arkansas around Valentines day every year which averages out to be about where they are. We had a bunch blow out of here in SE TX last week and kinda waiting to see what this weather will do to them.

They follow the receding snow line. We have very little snow pack here in ND so barring a dumping it could be early. The ND G&F has a tracking link for spring snow migration progression.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
We are ready for em! the snow down south i’d been hearing about had us a little worried, thanks guys!

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
how hard is it to find land to hunt in South Dakota?

jmez

WKR
Not too hard to hunt snow geese. I don't do it but have buddies that go over east every year. They just knock on doors where the geese are landing. They get access every year.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Worst case scenario we run around down to South Dakota i guess, hopefully we won’t have to and the birds make it a decent ways into North Dakota

KurtR

WKR
If we dont get any snow i am worried they will blow through really fast. getting on isnt hard just have to ask as long as the guides dont have it tied up or another hunter has tore up the fields most will let you on.

Laramie

WKR
The last few years your timing would have been very good. This year? Whole lot of snow will have to melt before they cross Nebraska and Western Iowa. March storms will really dictate what happens. I have shot them in Kansas in April on years there were late snows. If it ends up being one of those crazy years and you need a place to hunt in Nebraska, shoot me a PM. Would be glad to help save the tundra.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
If we dont get any snow i am worried they will blow through really fast. getting on isnt hard just have to ask as long as the guides dont have it tied up or another hunter has tore up the fields most will let you on.

Are you in North Dakota?

Fatcamp

WKR
Worst case scenario we run around down to South Dakota i guess, hopefully we won’t have to and the birds make it a decent ways into North Dakota

Ya, it's just so hard to say. Snow line and roost water are everything. Staying mobile and knowing all the states regs and license info is important.

Where have you hunted in the past?

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, it's just so hard to say. Snow line and roost water are everything. Staying mobile and knowing all the states regs and license info is important.

Where have you hunted in the past?

southern South Dakota once, the rest up in North dakota

Fatcamp

WKR
southern South Dakota once, the rest up in North dakota

Gotcha. Probably want to get the list of aerated lakes in eastern SD just to know where they are.

I no longer chase them, but holy cats are they a fun bird.

Certainly not necessary to pay for access, but depending on field and pressure it can be a tool in the bag.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
The last few years your timing would have been very good. This year? Whole lot of snow will have to melt before they cross Nebraska and Western Iowa. March storms will really dictate what happens. I have shot them in Kansas in April on years there were late snows. If it ends up being one of those crazy years and you need a place to hunt in Nebraska, shoot me a PM. Would be glad to help save the tundra.

Thanks for the offer, i’ll keep it in mind! Got about 500 decoys to offer