Snow goose trip

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
The secret is out on the juvies in the Dakotas. You might find that group of a few thousand stragglers but there will be ten trucks circling them.

You're better off to be ahead of them and shooting them as migrators coming into an area.

Ideally you want to set up on a feed, preferably with multiple roosts coming to it, with the potential to stay there for migrators. Move when you find a better option. All the better if you have water and corn.

thanks for the insight! i have a field that leads into a lake i can hunt, just hoping the ice is out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Sounds like leading edge is in Nebraska this weekend. With high 50 and 60’s here all week I wouldn’t be surprised to see them here end of next week in north central Sodak. A guy just north of of saw a few small flocks this weekend in North Dakota

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
hopefully they aren’t too far past southern ND by end of march

WCB

WKR
you think birds will be through southern ND by last week of march?

If there are no storms to hold them a bit I think the masses maybe through the southern 1/3rd of ND. I always here of this mystical overnight fly by migration but have never actually seen it. It always lasts a couple weeks. I personally think that like the rut for deer it is based on photoperiod more than weather.

Unless something holds them back I honestly don't think it matters they do what they do around the same time every year. I figure mid March for central/north SD. Add a week for lower half of ND. Now that is the main migration. It doesn't sound like the juvies are with the adults in a big way right now. They are spread out from NE down through AR. If they were all jammed up in NE and a giant warm snap happened all the way to the Canadian border...I could see a big jump happening. Granted there is no snow but the temps in the northern half of ND don't justify geese not being in ND end of March. Again, if you limit yourself to the lower 3rd of ND you may be in between Adults and Juvies.

Right now the weather in north central ND has this week fairly warm mid 40's but lows well below freezing and next week mid 30s with lows in the teens and even colder north. Geese aren't blowing by that no matter what the snow conditions are like.

FYI...I will be hunting them in MO starting the 10th

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
If there are no storms to hold them a bit I think the masses maybe through the southern 1/3rd of ND. I always here of this mystical overnight fly by migration but have never actually seen it. It always lasts a couple weeks. I personally think that like the rut for deer it is based on photoperiod more than weather.

Unless something holds them back I honestly don't think it matters they do what they do around the same time every year. I figure mid March for central/north SD. Add a week for lower half of ND. Now that is the main migration. It doesn't sound like the juvies are with the adults in a big way right now. They are spread out from NE down through AR. If they were all jammed up in NE and a giant warm snap happened all the way to the Canadian border...I could see a big jump happening. Granted there is no snow but the temps in the northern half of ND don't justify geese not being in ND end of March. Again, if you limit yourself to the lower 3rd of ND you may be in between Adults and Juvies.

Right now the weather in north central ND has this week fairly warm mid 40's but lows well below freezing and next week mid 30s with lows in the teens and even colder north. Geese aren't blowing by that no matter what the snow conditions are like.

FYI...I will be hunting them in MO starting the 10th

by the sounds of it we are in the right week but hopefully hit some birds willing to work, thanks for the info!

KurtR

WKR
They are north of sioux falls got some friends setting up . 65 here today and with highs in 60's all the way to minot they are going to come fast.

Keep the reports coming guys.

I've been between spreads for a couple of years but I always like knowing where they're at, for whatever reason.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
They are north of sioux falls got some friends setting up . 65 here today and with highs in 60's all the way to minot they are going to come fast.

that’s crazy fast, hopefully they have some slower friends lol