Snow impact on SE AK goats

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I have a chance to go on a SE AK goat hunt in August. My concern is the massive snowfall and impact on the population. The local town at sea level had 8 feet in December and right now it is about waist deep which is well above trend. It seems like winter kill is going to be substantial, but I just don't know. Should I go or postpone? I appreciate any feedback/thoughts.

Take care -- Chizelhead

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure exactly where you're talking about. But I have my doubts its that bad for goats in SE. My experience with goats in SE AK they did one of two things. Come down into big timber where the snow would be significantly less or go higher into wind swept areas. Not saying there will be none that die because of the snow, but they're not quite the same as deer.

But I wouldn't go in August either way. I'd go in September when the hair is better instead!

I though that the town of Valdez got about 500 inches of snow a year in town. So i would think the animals are use to alot of snow.

OP
chizelhead

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I decided I am going forward with the hunt. RR/Mtnbiker -- Thanks for your perspectives. I'll look out for a Sept hunt next time.

TEWONG

FNG
I decided I am going forward with the hunt. RR/Mtnbiker -- Thanks for your perspectives. I'll look out for a Sept hunt next time.
Keep us posted on your prep and experience next fall. This hunt is on my short-list..

dapesche

WKR
Good timing. Just read this...
b198edf36bcc1488ed0b79aab107656d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

OP
chizelhead

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing. That's been my main concern that the snow will push them too far out of their protected areas. There are a lot of wolves and bears in the area. I did talk to the guide, and he said he hunted through the end of December which is the time when the goats normally get pushed down to the water. He said even with 8ft of snowfall, they were doing well. He's a good guy that I have a local connection with so I think he's being honest. The area is expecting a warm up and rain going forward, which will help melt the snow fairly quickly. We'll see!

Scorpion

WKR
What general area of SEAK will you be hunting? The bears should be denned up by now, I would think. Especially if the snows are heavy.

OP
chizelhead

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
My bad. Of course the bears are denned up! I'll be hunting out of Petersburg.

Last edited:

Bighorse

WKR
Goats are probably fine.....they are surviving the cold like they always do. Anyhow, the one you're really interested in shooting is strong, experienced, and healthy. All the animals dying, have done so living the life mother nature intended. Then there is "your" goat. Really.....your after one and a fine well conditioned animal at that. Go into the mountains with joy in your heart and grateful to touch the tops. Oh, and August is a great time to hunt goats. Hair vs Experience.......I'd take the experience. Long days, beautiful flora, and the opportunity to scramble in the dry crags and receded ice patches is wonderful. End the day with dry wood and roasted beast, heaven.

I have to agree with Bighorse, my August goat hunts have been far more enjoyable than the ones later in the season, especially in winter... Having been lucky enough to harvest goats in many different months, from August to March, I'd pick mid to late September as a happy medium to maximize experience and trophy quality. But, hunting them up high real early, and later October/Nov in the Rut sure is fun, and hunting them down lower is as well!

All depends what you want out of it...