Snow in 3 season tent

huntsd

WKR
How much snow can a 3 season tent handle? I’ve never backpacked in the snow before and it looks like we’re in for some snow for an up coming hunt. I’m guessing a couple inches of snow would be fine and tent will hold up. What do you think is too much? I run a big Agnes copper spur.

thoughts?/experiences?

I had some experience with a driving snow while using a 3 season tent in ohio while camping for boyscouts many years ago. We all awoke to about 2-3” of slush/snow on our bags. If not for a nice bag i would have been absolutely miserable, but i didnt sleep well that night either.
If you plan to use a 3 season and expect snow, i would suggest a bivy you could put your bag into to act as a inner sanctum.
In the above scenario, it was the driving snow, that pushed moisture through the no-see-um mesh that refroze on top
Of us. We had no issues with the small amount of snow we got. I would
Imagine the tent you have can handle a couple inches, but more than a couple inches of wet snow will probably collapse the tent.

BBob

WKR
I've had that happen many times. Never had a tent fully collapse from it. I always wake up during the night for various reasons anyway and if it's snowed I just shake and knock it off the tent. I woke up one night in a BA Seedhouse and the sidewalls had squeezed in pretty far but some pushing and shaking and it was back to fine.

Jimbob

WKR
The big thing is to stay awake and knock snow off your tent so it doesn't become a problem.

I was on a school trip last year with 25 kids and we got 4 inches of heavy wet snow. My Eolus did fine and it was easy to knock snow off the bottom walls. However, a bunch of the kids had pretty crappy tents so I was out at 3:00 am "saving" everyone ha ha. A bunch of kids were fast asleep under collapsed tents. Some kids were cold and wet so I got a roaring fire going and kids started gathering around that at 5:30 am.

Don't let the snow build up.

Poser

WKR
The tent itself will support the weight well enough unless it’s a lot of really heavy snow. Big thing is to setup protected from the wind if there is a storm. High winds can blow snow up inside the vestibule and through the mesh.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It depends on the type of snow , wet snow it is far less . It also depends on the tent , some collapse easily without being maintained , others do ok but loose space . I’ve been out in up to 18 inches before , and it’s knock a knock it off game every hour or two .

Some tents , like our seek outside ones you can change the pitch to get better snow performance . Freestanding tents are harder to change the pitch and you have to knock it off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goalie

FNG
As others have stated, it's the wind blowing the snow that separates the 3 season from the 4 season.

Full coverage vestibule/fly that goes to the ground helps a lot.

go_deep

WKR
The 3 season tent I road out a 16" snow storm in was not intended to be in a snow storm.
Buy once cry once, be prepared.

Last edited:

CoStick

WKR
Remember to knock it off before you open it up to get out:) you only do it once.

rayporter

WKR
we were up all night scraping snow off this one and it still collapsed by morning. maybe 4 inches of snow fell.
ic8dcsj.jpg

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on the tent and the type of snow... some tents support more weight than others, and if the snow is wet and heavy it's obviously going to be a lot harder than some light fluffy stuff you might get in CO or UT.

I've been snowed on in some basic REI tents, a Kelty, and an off brand 6 person tent called 12 Survivors, and all of them have held up fine. None of these experiences have been huge storms though (4-6"), and all of the snow has been pretty dry. Waking up once or twice to bang the tent walls will help-

Also, guylining out the tent properly and high up on the walls can really make a difference too.

mlgc20

WKR
Here is what my Big Agnes Jack Rabbit tent looked like after about 4 hours of snow during Colorado archery last year, the first week of September. When I left the tent before sunrise the snow had not started. When I came back around 11 the tent had collapsed. As others have pointed out, the type of snow matters. This was a very heavy, wet snow.

CO 2.jpg

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
This was last October, wish I could find just a picture of my tent. The one in the middle is a Cabelas Alaskan Guide I think. Mine was off to the left. It is a Marmot 2p Limelight or something like that. It collapsed.

20201025_170631.jpg

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
As previously mentioned, not all tents are created equal and that type of snow matters. five years ago I was using a Nemo Losi 3p tent when a September snowstorm hit. I left in the early morning and returned to find my tent collapsed after about an inch and a half of light snow and heavy wind. The wind had caused the snow to drift to about 3 inches around the tent. The tent was fine after digging it out. Over the next three days I received 2 feet of snow with heavy winds. To keep the tent from collapsing every hour I would go out shake it off and pull the snow away from the tent.

My first gear purchase for the next year was a larger 4 season tent for my base camp.

An additional light-weight blue poly tarp might be your friend if you expect snow. If anything, they are slippery and the snow will slide off.

mcseal2

WKR
Spent a lot of time with a scoop shovel and shop broom outside the tipi this night. 15” by morning. We took I-70 until it closed, I-80 until it closed, and cut to I-25 to beat the storm into out unit and get camp set. All melted and got muddy a few days later.

Attachments

• BA51BB2F-A4B2-43B0-BF33-B8FF581A99A3.jpeg
    BA51BB2F-A4B2-43B0-BF33-B8FF581A99A3.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 066F312D-D916-4C60-8074-4309BD9B641B.jpeg
    066F312D-D916-4C60-8074-4309BD9B641B.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 30