Snow pack, mid Idaho, Riggins area?

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My buddy bailed on me so I’m having to scramble to come up with a new bear hunting plan. I normally use the whitewater raft to do a short trek across the Salmon River but I can’t do that without a partner.

Now I’m looking in the areas north of Riggins, unit 18 and 14. I’m guessing 18 is going to have a ton of snow anywhere above like 3500 ft. Im
Thinking maybe around Whitebird it would be a little less snow.... but there is still a lot of area around 4000-5000 ft. I need to get up to around 4000ft where I’m looking because that’s where the tree coverage starts.

If anyone knows the area or has driven thru and has a guess please let me know!

Thanks!

87TT

WKR
We were up on the road that follows the river upstream from Riggins a couple of days ago. It looked like summer. there was some snow way up on top but nothing near the river. Very dry and brown. Probably some up at the top of the mountains and in the shade.

This is a common question asked by members. But rather than ask anyone here, why not call the USFS office in Riggins, or USFS offices in the areas you plan to hunt? They can give you the information you're looking for, and you also have the option of calling them periodically for updates. After all, who could be more familiar with the snow, and road conditions than USFS employees?...🐻
Could have something to do with most everyone in Riggins is a dumb shit. I'd take the word of someone on Rokslide before calling them.

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve asked NF about this stuff before... usually takes at least a week to get a response... and calling I’ve done multiple times in the past and they didn’t ever call back. I’ll still call tomorrow but I’m not relying on that at all. I have 3 days til I leave...

Thanks a bunch @87TT

SoNV

FNG
So, I called Elk City today. They said they’ve gotten most of their snow in February and the snow line is still very low compared to usual. So, I think this might alter my plans for June then too. If you want to park down low then hike up you might do okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if it matters, the snotells are showing less snow this year than last year. The pathetic winter made me put my sleds away in mid april, not the typical mid may. so way less snow, but it does not take much to stop a vehichle.

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well I’m at 5k feet, on a sleeping pad in the back of my truck.

Only needed 4WD a few times for snow patches. Only reason I could get this high is the road I found starts out on a ridge and stays high. I wouldn’t have made it nearly as far if it had been down in the bottom following a creek up like normal.

Well I’m at 5k feet, on a sleeping pad in the back of my truck.

Only needed 4WD a few times for snow patches. Only reason I could get this high is the road I found starts out on a ridge and stays high. I wouldn’t have made it nearly as far if it had been down in the bottom following a creek up like normal.
Goodluck! Stay safe.

Vandy321

WKR
This is from a NOAA SNODAS layer on GAIA...the darker purple is the deeper snowpack, lighter blue is lighter snowpack.

Pm me if you need more detailed pic...I don't live in or hunt ID so have no interest in your specific spot, but happy to help if you're not getting what you need from this pic.Screenshot_20210428-215025_PDF Extra.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428-214421_Gaia GPS.jpg
    Screenshot_20210428-214421_Gaia GPS.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
DFG warden I talked to the other day said they have had sightings down near Grangeville.
I was wondering about that, I had never been down there before until last year for work. I was around Grange/Riggins/Whitebird a lot, always looked like a place that would hold bear.

We just got back from scouting part of the Panhandle, barely any snow below 5000', glassed for a while but didn't see much.

Three weeks ago I would have said don’t try it, but it’s surprisingly dry now. I don’t think you’ll have any problems unless you’re going up to high alpine elevations.

north idaho out of cda. Been seeing a nice black one about 500 vert off of the bottom. I have a hard time killing bears around the house. If he was anywhere else, he would be dead. pumpkin head.