Snow plow recommendations?

On the blowers, how do you keep the rocks out of them on a gravel lane?

First couple snows I keep the cutting edge up an inch or so. Once that gets packed and frozen I’ll drop it down. I find very little gravel in the yard, and what little there is it’s spread out unlike piles from the plow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
um no, lots of guys run new trucks with plows. lots of guys.

I hardly ever see a beater truck around here plowing driveways. Everyone’s got a newer truck. As far as the plow goes, I’d get a Fisher. They’re best in the business. But I do agree that a tractor or skid steer would be a better choice, unless you don’t need either.

Hey guys, my cousin's lane is about 1/4 mile long and unpaved. He's looking to buy a plow for the front of his F350. This would be for personal use only, not business. Any recommendations?
I prefer Western but as someone else said you'll need a beefier alternator and a 2nd battery if you're smart. I've plowed commercially for over 30 years and every time I get a new truck it gets a new plow. These are my daily drivers all year the plow doesn't hurt them and ups the resale.

I have been using western plows for the last 28 years and have no complaints. There are a lot of ways to move snow, but if you have to do it often a warm pickup with a plow on front is best.
I agree completely. I don't even like running a skidsteer with heat let alone sitting on an atv in wet snow. With age comes wisdom.

Backyard

WKR
if you have a gravel drive rocks will be every where come spring, no matter what you do to remove snow.

the blowers have skids to keep them up off the gravel but it is a fine line between moving enough snow and moving rocks.

if it is frozen hard enough it will help.

I have gravel and use a blade. I pack the first 6 inches of snow falls then start plowing after that. All my gravel is on my driveway in the spring. You don’t scrape a gravel driveway down to the gravel.

I have gravel and use a blade. I pack the first 6 inches of snow falls then start plowing after that. All my gravel is on my driveway in the spring. You don’t scrape a gravel driveway down to the gravel.

Just throw a few extra washers on top of the plow shoes for gravel driveways. Problem solved.

The first part of this is preparing the road and sides for plowing. Remove as much junk as possible and level the plow zone.I use a tractor with a rear blade for the first 2 ft of snow. After that it is tough to get the snow over the berm.

Since we drift really bad I move the berms out 10 ft on either side a couple times a year with a D7. Sometimes the berms can get up to 10 or 12 ft by spring.

My experience is like many have said truck plows tear the hell out of truck front ends. A couple of my neighbors picked surplused state highway plow trucks.

rayporter

WKR
you guys that get lots of snow can pack it down. down here we go from mud to snow with no time to pack layers down.
the a few weeks later you got a mud drive again.

the drifts are tough to deal with too.

Transition from winter to the mud season is always memorable. Early on as I was building my road, I remember a UPS truck stuck to the frame in my gate frame. I didn't have the equipment to extract him cleanly. I really don't envy you boys with the mud.

Wrench

WKR
Not to argue an atv vs truck, but if you do ever get to see what a tracked atv with a plow can do....it'll surprise you. 16" is a bunch, but if it wont make it in one push, it'll walk on top and you can slot doze down.....and they can stack it as high as wanted. The tracks will push a full blade up a 2:1 slope easily. It's impressive to see.

Reactions: JMF
OP
jjohnsonElknewbie

I’d do similar if my daughter didn’t drive a car with little ground clearance. That Impala does not do well in snow.

It’s how you use the plow that determines the upkeep costs for the truck. You get to jamming and ramming with the truck, you are going to be fixing it. You treat it like a tool and use it correctly, it’ll treat you the same in return.

Salt is the killer for most plow trucks. And, careless employees. The rest is just speculation.

I don't know about you guys, but my dirt plowed driveway always turns into a sheet of ice.
Wood stove ash spread, from my house to my shop is how I can walk to the shop and not fall on the ice with water on it. Next snowfall and i will have to be chained up.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I don't know about you guys, but my dirt plowed driveway always turns into a sheet of ice.
Wood stove ash spread, from my house to my shop is how I can walk to the shop and not fall on the ice with water on it. Next snowfall and i will have to be chained up.
I recommend 1" crushed rock with fines for your driveway. However, if you have mud problems, maybe consider 2" crushed rock with fines as a base. Let it pack over a season and then get the 1" crushed with fines as the top layer. This will give you much better traction.

Backyard

WKR
I’d do similar if my daughter didn’t drive a car with little ground clearance. That Impala does not do well in snow.

I actually pack it down (back and forth) with my truck side to side. Before anyone ever drives on it. And let it freeze. And no, just adjusting the height doesn’t work on an unfrozen drive. The skids will dig in an leave grooves. Plus you’ll take the crown right of the driveway.

Depends on how much snow you get on an annual basis but you really should consider a V plow for a long driveway in my opinion. I've had many a wet spring snow pile up in front of a single blade to the point where it is pushing the front of the truck sideways off the driveway. I used to do a lot of plowing in the foothills west of Boulder, CO and V plows were a must! We had good luck with the Boss plows, had 4 of em at one point. Glad those days are behind me.

JMF

Lil-Rokslider
Not to argue an atv vs truck, but if you do ever get to see what a tracked atv with a plow can do....it'll surprise you. 16" is a bunch, but if it wont make it in one push, it'll walk on top and you can slot doze down.....and they can stack it as high as wanted. The tracks will push a full blade up a 2:1 slope easily. It's impressive to see.

I completely agree. I have been using this and have been extremely impressed with how much snow it will move with the 66" blade.20211221_164906.jpg