snow/sod skirts

forestry

FNG
Looking at different pyramid shelters, some have snow skirts (sometimes called sod skirts), some offer it as an addition, some don't have them at all.

I'm a little confused about how necessary or useful they are, since the Black Diamond megamid doesn't have one and has been used by winter campers and mountaineers for decades.

For me, I'd be more concerned about ventilation for most of my trips than sealing the shelter tight for the minority of my trips that occur in extremely cold conditions.

What are your thoughts on them?

*zap*

WKR
ventilation is good as is having the ability to block the wind from coming in.....how you pitch can also have different effects. jmo.

wackem36

FNG
I think it would be nice to have. if the wind is really blowing you can pack snow over the skirts, but when its not you can leave them for ventilation. you could also leave one skirt open and cover the rest. I have seen some tipi tents have ventilation at the top aswell.

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
If you have weather. I live in a windy place, so it's nice to "glue" the tent to the ground. Also stops snowdrift to creep up on the inside. I usually only secure the side into the wind and only part of the sideflaps.

Last tent trip I forgot almost all my stakes and guylines 😅 tent was almost exclusively held by the flaps.

Only downside I see is that they add weight. I find them more useful on a freestanding tent than a tunnel tent.

You'll see them in action here