Snow tires- Lion hunting

kyleds8

Hey All,

getting ready for lion season and looking for people's thoughts on the best snow tires for my toyota driving FS roads in deep snow?

Conditions are Rocky Mountain deep, light, dry snow. I'm in the camp of snow tires that "float on top" rather than tall thin tires to cut through the snow. Of course no tire will really make a heavy truck float, but you catch my drift... No tire's cutting through late season snow here no matter how tall and skinny.

Many thanks

ntrlbrnhunter

The greatest snow tires are chained, but the next best thing are studded tires.

Nothing else comes close… I started putting them on recently for winter hunting and I don’t think I’ll go back.

General Grabber is a good all-terrain “studable” option…. They will definitely have options for your Toyota.
31A50FAF-3B56-4C0F-A51B-CDA778FDB917.jpeg

black dawg

What toyota? and what size wheels do you have and how big of a tire can you run?

Toyo mt and yokohama mt have been awsome for me. Have to be able to air down though.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The greatest snow tires are chained, but the next best thing are studded tires.

Nothing else comes close… I started putting them on recently for winter hunting and I don’t think I’ll go back.

General Grabber is a good all-terrain “studable” option…. They will definitely have options for your Toyota.
View attachment 338173
Agreed, if I take the time and money to have two sets of tires, studs are STUDS

Randle

I agree for the first year or so studs are great , after they wear down then they are just nail head that slide on ice

Buzzy73

I air down and chain up on wore out 37’s. My xj does pretty good like that, just need lockers and lower gears at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6mm Remington

Cooper ST. Maxx tires 10 ply Have them siped!
Get some good chains to compliment the tires. Good V-bar chains are hard to beat.

I've ran Cooper AT3's for years and they have worked well. A couple years ago I got a little more aggressive tire in the ST. Maxx. They have been fantastic and work a lot better in snow, mud, just about any surface you throw at them.

cp_discoverer_st_maxx_owl_full.jpg