Snowshoe advise

TheJuice

WKR
I'm in Iowa and hunt primarily public land and walk in anywhere from 1/4 - 1.5 miles typically. We don't need it very often but last Tuesday night, we got 8" of snow while I was out and the walk out had me wishing for some snow shoes.
Im 6' 185lbs and typically have 25-35lbs in a pack with my heavy warm cloths in it. Terrain can be fairly hilly and a lot of timber.
What size and features should I look for?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I use 30” atlas shoes. They have good flotation and you can step backwards with them. Important if you are in brush. If I were looking at current shoes, I’d look at the msr shoes as well. If you are talking only 8 inches or so, you could get away with almost anything and be happy. Maybe a lightweight 25” shoe. Bring your boots with you and make sure they fit with them and make sure you like the bindings. Cheaper shoes usually don’t have solid bindings and or difficult to put on and take off.

I’m 6-3, 215 and use the MSR with the fins. Great for climbing but doubt you’ll need that in IA.

Decker9

WKR
Iv been on the msr lightning ascents for a bunch of years. Kinda pricey, but their solid shoes and really shine in the steep country and tight timber. I’m 5’11” 160lb and often have a 30+lb pack and use the 30”. I just picked up some tails and tried them out over Christmas, definitely worth adding if in the powder.

I just got my gal a pair of lightnings for Christmas, the binding/straps on hers are sure nice compared to my old ones. Thinking I’ll be upgrading to the newer style.

peterk123

WKR
I have had a couple different brands over the years. They all seem to suck. You just sink. Anybody using traditional Alaskan or Bearpaw type shoes? Seems to me those would actually work when you need to break trail and are not walking on packed out "snowshoe trails".

TomJoad

WKR
Also a big fan of MSR but I prefer the EVO’s. 8” isn’t worth snowshoe weight or complexity unless there are drifts. I usually start running shoes after 10-12” base. Heel lifters are critical for me in CO, climbing is SO much nicer. Per the above for Iowa only not needed and you will save a few ounces.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Iv been on the msr lightning ascents for a bunch of years. Kinda pricey, but their solid shoes and really shine in the steep country and tight timber. I’m 5’11” 160lb and often have a 30+lb pack and use the 30”. I just picked up some tails and tried them out over Christmas, definitely worth adding if in the powder.

I just got my gal a pair of lightnings for Christmas, the binding/straps on hers are sure nice compared to my old ones. Thinking I’ll be upgrading to the newer style.

I just bought myself, my wife, and two kids MRS Lightning Ascents this year and we love them. They seem to be one of the top choices.

A few weeks back we snowshoed up to a point that is really steep. I was amazed by how well they gripped.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Another huge fan of the lightning ascents. Definitely pricey but after using them hard the last 2 yrs I'll never use anything else.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
MSr is tough to be beat for durability traction and the binding systems they simply take a beating and won’t let you down if you need more flotation pick up some tails, pricey yes but will last decades it is a love hate relationship when I need them😂🤙

Attachments

• DE440DCE-E621-499A-AA28-0FB1942BF411.jpeg
    DE440DCE-E621-499A-AA28-0FB1942BF411.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 16
  • C3008BEA-DEEF-4594-8869-E65B2E29B543.jpeg
    C3008BEA-DEEF-4594-8869-E65B2E29B543.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 5A87A3D5-A355-4753-996D-68DE5B36ED66.jpeg
    5A87A3D5-A355-4753-996D-68DE5B36ED66.jpeg
    670.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 98F1F12B-5DAA-41BA-A32D-0C8F398852FE.jpeg
    98F1F12B-5DAA-41BA-A32D-0C8F398852FE.jpeg
    429.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 950814B2-D45C-402C-A8DF-3DD50C097525.jpeg
    950814B2-D45C-402C-A8DF-3DD50C097525.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 5CAA31A5-E2A6-403B-B287-E3118AFE2126.jpeg
    5CAA31A5-E2A6-403B-B287-E3118AFE2126.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 7BB50A9B-25E0-4D68-833E-E68AF77AE017.jpeg
    7BB50A9B-25E0-4D68-833E-E68AF77AE017.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 18

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I imagine in Iowa you don't get any real travel on slopes. While I have the MSR Lightening Ascents, I would recommend something with a tubular frame for flatland as it will give you more flotation.

Keep in mind, breaking trail just sucks, with or without snowshoes. In 8 inches of snow it really depends on the snow composition and in light, fresh powder it might be easier without the snowshoes. In stuff that has been on the ground for a while, or that is wet and heavy, snowshoes would be helpful. Snowshoes are best on breakable crust when they allow you to stay on top of the crust. Regardless, the bigger the shoe, the more float you get out of it, but the harder it is to walk in them. If you are not planning on packing the snowshoes as a just in case and you don't have to maneuver in tight trees, I would go for something on the larger side.

OP
TheJuice

TheJuice

WKR
Thanks for the ideas and comments guys.
I may have found a set to borrow and see see if it is really worth it.
I just know that my walk out the other night was tough, not so much from heavy snow, but traction was an issue on the uphill portions. It seemed like every step i took, I would slide back have a stride.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the ideas and comments guys.
I may have found a set to borrow and see see if it is really worth it.
I just know that my walk out the other night was tough, not so much from heavy snow, but traction was an issue on the uphill portions. It seemed like every step i took, I would slide back have a stride.

If traction is the issue, get something like Kahtoola Microspikes. It is the best traction device I'm aware of that is not a crampon. I would stay away from Yaktrax.

If you want something more aggressive, about on the level of snowshoe crampons, Kahtoola does make some toned down crampons for hiking. In really wet snow the advantage to something like the Kahtoola K-10 is anti-balling plates (what Kahtoola calls Snow Release Skins). I have never had Microspikes ball up on me, but I have heard of it happening when conditions are just right.

These will also be lighter and more packable than snowshoes. They will do nothing to prevent postholing like snowshoes, but that does not sound like the problem you are having.

Edit: balling up refers to snow sticking to the bottom of a crampon until you have a layer of snow on the bottom of you feet that is thicker than the crampon spikes.

I moved to use ski shoes. Very similar build to you.

Currently trying to find a second set as my oldest fits them now.

I’ve been looking for a second set of hoks as well for the wife.. they are better than snowshoes for covering ground if an area isn’t very brushy. Definitely not ideal for steep hills either.

I stomped around the woods yesterday with 30” MSR lighting ascents for the first time. I was very impressed and will be buying a pair for myself when I can find them..

WTFJohn

WKR
If traction is the issue, get something like Kahtoola Microspikes. It is the best traction device I'm aware of that is not a crampon. I would stay away from Yaktrax.

If you want something more aggressive, about on the level of snowshoe crampons, Kahtoola does make some toned down crampons for hiking. In really wet snow the advantage to something like the Kahtoola K-10 is anti-balling plates (what Kahtoola calls Snow Release Skins). I have never had Microspikes ball up on me, but I have heard of it happening when conditions are just right.

These will also be lighter and more packable than snowshoes. They will do nothing to prevent postholing like snowshoes, but that does not sound like the problem you are having.

Edit: balling up refers to snow sticking to the bottom of a crampon until you have a layer of snow on the bottom of you feet that is thicker than the crampon spikes.

I have microspikes, K-10 Crampons, and MSR Revo Explore snow shoes with the powder tails. Microspikes are good if you're hiking on a packed trail with no weight, otherwise they are prone to balling and slipping off your boot unnoticed. I still recommend them for those uses, but not off-trail or loaded heavy. The K-10s have become my default traction aid once it gets slick, I will use them in conjunction with gaiters in snow depths up to about 12". After there's ~12"+ of snow, I'll switch to the snow shoes and will use the tails when I've got a lot of weight loaded up or there's 10"+ fresh to contend with.

@TheJuice for occasional uses like you're talking about, microspikes would probably be fine (I would add a secondary securing method so they can't slip off and get lost as they tend to do in low snow and thick brush), the crampons are overkill but would also serve you well. Both of these options are great when the snow starts melting out too, giving you traction on slick/muddy slopes and icy stretches. Snow shoes would be very overkill, and probably more of a pain in the ass in snow depths/conditions like that than you realize.

OP
TheJuice

TheJuice

WKR
Heading out this afternoon and found a pair of MSR Evo's to borrow. It may be overkill like you say, but I'm one of those guys that has to try it out regardless.
I'll let you know how it works out.

OP
TheJuice

TheJuice

WKR
So after heading out a couple of times on a pair of MSR Evo's, I think these will suit my needs here in IA just fine.
Thanks for all the replies.