Snowshoe help

Elkhntr08

WKR
Decided I’m going to pick up a pair of snowshoes and I know nothing about them.
Mainly want them for hunting in the mountains. Don’t know what other information I need to give.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a couple pairs of MSR classics that I’ve had for almost twenty years. I put aBout a hundred or so miles on them each winter. I should probably upgrade, but I’ll wait for these to die out first.

I’m not a big dude so I can walk on most hard pack snow. I’d check out the MSR website, they have the info you need to get the right size.

Decker9

WKR
I have quite a few mountain miles on the MSR lightning assent’s, amazing shoes for steep and slippery ground, but they do lack floatation in deep powder compared to bigger shoes, Iv never tried the tail extensions but Iv heard they help a lot.

Baught Yukon Charlie's for the entire family last year for Christmas at Sierra trading Post,they came with trekking poles and storage bags. Then I didn't get time off to use them.IMG_20181217_193511370.jpg

MSR. Hands down the best shoe out there. No others come even close to their ability to traverse a hillside. Their durability is also second to none as i have jumped off cliffs to 10ft after getting cliffed out with zero damage.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have been using Atlas Montagne for a few years now and really like them, excellent binding, the climb and handle steep terrain well and so far seem to be plenty durable.

mike464

FNG
I've run the Atlas for over 20 years, I tried the MSRs last year and didn't like them at all, bought another pair of Atlas. I had them rebuild my old ones 3 or 4 times and upgraded the bindings whenever they'd made a significant improvement. I think the Atlas shoe is better in deep snow and I like the bindings better

Wrench

WKR
20180325_154232.jpgI don't know about the best, but tell me the little ones my daughter has are not cool. BTW, she's barely 2 in this pic.....and she was stomping in them.

Attachments

• 20190525_100155.jpg
    20190525_100155.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 28

MtnCam

FNG
My wife and I have MSR and have had no complaints. I have the extension on mine. If possible try to rent some from a retailer to determine what brand you prefer. We rented from REI a couple of times then we scored some used snowshoes from the local REI garage sale.

MSR. Hands down the best shoe out there. No others come even close to their ability to traverse a hillside. Their durability is also second to none as i have jumped off cliffs to 10ft after getting cliffed out with zero damage.
This is important, if you anticipate needing to traverse very far on firm snow, MSR is the best option. If glisading down slopes is important, MSR may not be your best option.

SharkDog

FNG
This is important, if you anticipate needing to traverse very far on firm snow, MSR is the best option. If glisading down slopes is important, MSR may not be your best option.

That's true. I've had tubbs and MSRs and worn some huge redfeathers. The MSRs don't float quite as well but have better grip. I did like getting in the back seat of the tubs and cruising down hill though.

I got my girlfriend a pair of plastic tubbs, flex model, last year for christmas. She has only worn them a couple times, but really likes them. They also seem to grip better than the old school, material over frame tubbs.

Anyway, I would get a pair of MSR lightnings and call it a day. They pop up on Sierra Trading post pretty cheap occasionally.

My wife and I have been running MSR's for ~10yrs w/o issue. Can't remember exact model but look like the lightnings.

Love the grip. You can't go wrong with them in my mind.

OP
Elkhntr08

Elkhntr08

WKR
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Looks like I’m gonna go with the MSR Revo 25” and add the tails, for the “just in case”.
I believe their on sale right now on the website, $175.96.

Squamch

WKR
I have quite a few mountain miles on the MSR lightning assent’s, amazing shoes for steep and slippery ground, but they do lack floatation in deep powder compared to bigger shoes, Iv never tried the tail extensions but Iv heard they help a lot.

I have them with the tails. I was only about 160lbs last time I used them, but with a 50lb pack they were just fine. I was on deep wet coastal snow, no crust but heavy and wet, so your mileage may vary compared to mine.

Rokwiia

WKR
On the mountain, if it will be icy, I'd go with the MSR Lightning Ascents. If you'll be on flat or rolling terrain or non-icy mountain snow, I'd go with Northern Lite snowshoes, either the Backcountry or Tundra. The Tundra will save 30oz per pair compared to the MSR LA which is substantial when you can consider the number of steps you take. It will provide an extra 2" of float as well. Even more weight savings with the Backcountry.

https://www.msrgear.com/snowshoes/ascent-series/lightning-ascent-snowshoes/lightning-ascent.html

https://northernlites.com/collections/backcountry-heavy-weight-deep-snow

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the MSR ascent line. I have a pair of denali ascents that are probably 15 years old with about 1500 miles on them. Love them. I have both the 4in and 6in tails for deeper powder.

no snowshoe is good in regards to flotation in powder, its just the way of things. Snow has to settle out a bit before you begin to get true flotation with snowshoes.

look for traction , good bindings, and televators. Narrower shorter shoes are far more easy to use off trail/navigating obstacles than a wider longer shoe. That is why i love the mar ascents. Nice big crampon style teeth, teevators, excellent bindings, and are nice and narrow and short. You can always add on the tails when needed.

tdot

WKR
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Looks like I’m gonna go with the MSR Revo 25” and add the tails, for the “just in case”.
I believe their on sale right now on the website, $175.96.

Not to be a downer on your purchase. But I tried the Revo's last year when I couldnt figure out who I'd loaned by spare MSR ascents to. My wife was on my Ascents and had zero issue with some side hilling we were doing, but the revo's couldnt sidehill for nothing. Also had issues slipping back on real steep stuff. After that, I just started disliking them and I felt they didnt float as well, nose was catching more, among other things. But that may have been cuz I was just getting frustrated with them and looking to nitpick.

This was on moist snow, that would pack up and clog the crampons area, so YMMV, but the Ascents have 0 issues in that sorta stuff.

Kotaman

WKR
I have MSR Ascents and several pairs of Atlas. (1235 Mountains and Serrates) I prefer the Atlas by a large margin for general use. I use the MSR’s when it’s icy and that’s about it. The bindings on the Atlas are WAY nicer and the Atlas float me better. I also have a pair of Maine Guide woodies for the fluffy stuff, but they aren’t mountain shoes.