Snowshoe recommendations

IAHNTR

WKR
Check MSR. Its what about everyone on here runs. Try the search function cause there was a thread about it not too long ago.

Lawnboi

WKR
Big big fan of MSR shoes. Their axis snow shoes have unmatched traction and a super solid binding system.

Axis lighning are what I run, very happy with them. If they ever need replacing, it will be with the same shoe.

jherald

WKR
I've got a set of Sherpa snowshoes. They have seen 10 years of winter activities and havent had a single breakdown yet. I dont believe they are in business anymore though, you may find some on a google search.

Otherwise I would have a set of MSR's.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted the MSR's have excellent traction and a solid binding system...a little pricey but you will enjoy them...should be some good deals this time of year..

P5200389_zps4a56e054.jpg

Lost Arra

FNG
I've got two new pairs of Crescent Moon Gold Series snowshoes that I would gladly part with for cheap if you are interested. Darn global warming!
One is Mens Model 9-hiking (That is NOT the size).
Women's Model 13-trail (Again, that is NOT the size).

Pm me for other info or photos.
I'm glad you reminded me that these are sitting in the closet. I need to put them in the classifieds.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I have been happy with MSR lightning 30 inch shoes. First thing you may want to do is figure out the size you need based on the application. Then look into different brands. I researched this a few years back and everything came back to the MSR's. Just wish we had more snow so I could use them more!

what size shoes are you guys running? i having a hard time deciding on what length for my next set, i do a lot of steep stuff but i also do groomed stuff so I'm thinking 25s with tails I'm about 185lb

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
30 inch shoes. Mostly deeper snow, single track trail routes when we have it. (6'3" 195 lbs)

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
On steep stuff I have. That is a blast. Kind of a mini tele ski effect if you want it. Mostly just need the 30's to keep my extra large behind afloat.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went with the 25 inch msr shoes....at 162 pd+ gear they work very good, until the snow is very fluffy and deep, even then I dont sink in more than few inches...most of my time on the shoes is coming up in mid march to mid april when the snow is heavy and wet.

Last edited:
OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
I went with the 25 inch msr shoes....at 162 pd+ gear they work very good, until the snow is very fluffy and deep, event then I dont sink in more than few inches...most of time on the shoes is coming up in mid march to mid april when the snow is heavy and wet.

That's a good point Ross about body weight plus gear. Something I initially didn't think about.

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like the MSR's have the nod. 25 inch shoes look like the right fit.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
25 inch MSR Lighting Acents but they have the additional 5 inch paddle for deeper snow

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you take your friends in places like this poles serve you well:)

P4150331.jpg

Of course their response for getting them into this situation can be expected.

P4150326_zps94d1ee63.jpg

P4150325_zps13a0dbe4.jpg