Snowshoeing

Phaseolus

WKR
I’ve grown up on first snowshoes and then skis. Skis take a lot more skill, especially going down but once you learn it you’ll think snowshoes are second class winter transportation. Skis will cover more terrain faster, except for a few situations.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got home and all the snow was gone.

Do/have any of you pulled a sled with snowshoes?

Yup- quite a bit; just a diy pulk, but works good

GYTa8LE.jpg

twall13

WKR
I have an old pair of Tubbs snowshoes I got for Christmas as a teenager that have horrible bindings, but once I finally get them on they work okay. I don't get out much with them but every time I do I remember how much fun it is. I need to look into some better snowshoes or at least bindings. Those little Altai skis @mtwarden mentioned sure look interesting. What situations/terrain do you find you prefer those over regular snow shoes and vice versa? I need to figure out an upgrade to do some more hiking this winter. I'd like to make a DIY polk and do some overnight trips this winter.

I trail run year round, so I obviously have to make some adjustments in the winter. Most of the time microspikes are sufficient on the hard packed trails where I run but there are times when the snow is a bit too soft and deep for microspikes but not quite deep enough for snowshoes. Those are my least favorite running conditions. I might have to look into the smaller, running snowshoes that I didn't even know existed until I started reading this thread. I swear, Rokslide has introduced me to more gear I need that I never knew existed than anywhere else. It gets expensive reading the threads on here...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
deeper powder the Altai's have more flotation than even my longest snowshoes; they're also quicker on the way out (typically going uphill from a trailhead)

if there is a lot of transition between semi-dry and snow, snowshoes are easier (especially to carry) and if there is a substantial amount of steep- snowshoes are the way to go

you can save some $ over running snowshoes, take a look at MSR Shift snowshoes (youth snowshoes)- it's the shoe we use on the Bob Marshal Open- they are very close to the size/weight of running snowshoes, but significantly cheaper

twall13

WKR
deeper powder the Altai's have more flotation than even my longest snowshoes; they're also quicker on the way out (typically going uphill from a trailhead)

if there is a lot of transition between semi-dry and snow, snowshoes are easier (especially to carry) and if there is a substantial amount of steep- snowshoes are the way to go

you can save some $ over running snowshoes, take a look at MSR Shift snowshoes (youth snowshoes)- it's the shoe we use on the Bob Marshal Open- they are very close to the size/weight of running snowshoes, but significantly cheaper
That makes sense on the skis, good info., thanks for the reply.

Not sure my size 14 feet would fit in a youth model snowshoe, but it's worth checking out.

We had our first couple inches today in the valley. Looks like the mountain picked up 8-12”. Probably another month before we get the snowshoes out. I have tried most brand of snowshoes and Msr lighting ascents are the best. Northern lights are great too for non technical terrain or when they are likely to live on the pack all day.

OP
justinspicher
I tried the Altai Hok skis and they just pissed me off. I ended up taking them off and walking back without them on my feet.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing like a calorie burn day on shoes in flat country🤙👊 tough to beat msrs for durability and traction beat them up

Attachments

• A6936DC2-9A38-4429-AA52-3FDE88A67A79.jpeg
    A6936DC2-9A38-4429-AA52-3FDE88A67A79.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 59
  • E02C656F-7ED8-4AD9-B5F5-6FB4E7B95062.jpeg
    E02C656F-7ED8-4AD9-B5F5-6FB4E7B95062.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 53
  • C7FB2048-BF07-41EB-B42F-CC01994198AE.jpeg
    C7FB2048-BF07-41EB-B42F-CC01994198AE.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 616FB4D0-7D68-45A0-8FAF-9D54DAB2A1C6.jpeg
    616FB4D0-7D68-45A0-8FAF-9D54DAB2A1C6.jpeg