Snowshoes for MT Spring Bear??

FlyGuy

WKR
I fly out in 7 days for my first ever Spring Bear Hunt in Western Montana. Going with a buddy who has elk hunted in this area before. I live in TX these days and I've never even imagined owning a pair of Snowshoes, but with the heavy snows up there this year I'm wondering if this is something I should add to the gear list???

Very much a rookie here when it comes to bears or even being in the mountains this time of year (Not September). I know we plan to hunt for them around the snow line, but I figured we would need to be well above the snowline to reach effective glassing locations, or potentially to make a stalk and come in above one.

Are snow shoes an essential part of your kit, or are they just nice to have but not necessary? Or are they just plain overkill and I'm just a rookie worried about nothing?

Looking at these MSRs. I can still get them delivered in time for the trip if I order in the next couple days.

Durable Snowshoes with Built for the Trail—Evo Snowshoes by MSR

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Doesn't take much for snowshoe size this time of year. Without knowing were you are going, hard to say if you will need them. Postholing in spring snow sucks.

frankrb3

WKR
Yup, post holing will make you turn around quick. I’d rather have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

BAKPAKR

WKR
If your spring bear hunt, after a high snow winter, involves mostly cruising old snow covered logging roads looking for those few open patches with new grass, I would suggest that you try the 125cm Altai Hok skis. They have a universal binding so you can use your non-pac hunting/hiking boot. Compared to snowshoes, you can cover a lot more ground with them.

I have used snowshoes quite a bit, but after a week using the Altai skis this past winter, I was impressed. I realize this won’t help OP since he is likely already in Montana, but someone might find this useful.

I have been using my daughters little 15ish inch shoes, they have been perfect for spring snow. Still have to be careful about downed trees under the snow creating thin/hollow spots compared to a big shoe, but I usually forget I am wearing the things after a few minutes. even drove the truck to another spot to jump out with them on (Manual trans).

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also use a youth shoe- MSR Shifts; I've got 500+ miles on mine- they are reserved for spring conditions or occasionally running in packed winter conditions- good bindings, lightweight, great grip- if you have really big feet, they won't work- I'm a size 11 and close to the limit

d1gmOVm.jpg

Benjblt

WKR
I fly out in 7 days for my first ever Spring Bear Hunt in Western Montana. Going with a buddy who has elk hunted in this area before. I live in TX these days and I've never even imagined owning a pair of Snowshoes, but with the heavy snows up there this year I'm wondering if this is something I should add to the gear list???

Very much a rookie here when it comes to bears or even being in the mountains this time of year (Not September). I know we plan to hunt for them around the snow line, but I figured we would need to be well above the snowline to reach effective glassing locations, or potentially to make a stalk and come in above one.

Are snow shoes an essential part of your kit, or are they just nice to have but not necessary? Or are they just plain overkill and I'm just a rookie worried about nothing?

Looking at these MSRs. I can still get them delivered in time for the trip if I order in the next couple days.

Durable Snowshoes with Built for the Trail—Evo Snowshoes by MSR

How'd you do? I sucked it up here in Oregon. Here in Oregon you usually don't need snowshoes but I bought some just for spring bear and didn't end up using them. It seems like if you have to hike through snow then the meadows aren't green enough for bear yet anyway.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
About the same. Ordered some but didn't need them. It got really hot right before the trip. 3 days were in the 80's. Snow was melting fast and all the green stuff was far below the snowline.

It was a tough hunt. Did not find a bear in 5 days. Green grass was below 5500ft, but almost everything on public is 6K and up. Hit 4 mtn ranges in 5 days. Would hike into the tiny areas that had low elevation, not see any bear sign at all, hike out and move to the next one. I still had a great time, but wish I would have planned it for a week or two later.

mooster

WKR
About the same. Ordered some but didn't need them. It got really hot right before the trip. 3 days were in the 80's. Snow was melting fast and all the green stuff was far below the snowline.

It was a tough hunt. Did not find a bear in 5 days. Green grass was below 5500ft, but almost everything on public is 6K and up. Hit 4 mtn ranges in 5 days. Would hike into the tiny areas that had low elevation, not see any bear sign at all, hike out and move to the next one. I still had a great time, but wish I would have planned it for a week or two later.

What Were your dates? I’m hoping to hit the NW corner in late may this year?

Twin, if you are planning on coming up here late May I wouldn't bother bringing snowshoes along. Generally by mid May all of the areas I'm hunting only have patches of snow here and there. If you are looking at trying to get up really high somewhere they might come in handy but I don't tend to find bears at higher elevations during the spring. About 95% of my spring bear hunting is done at 6k or less. Keep an eye on SNOTEL though in case we have a cold wet spring up here.

mooster

WKR
Twin, if you are planning on coming up here late May I wouldn't bother bringing snowshoes along. Generally by mid May all of the areas I'm hunting only have patches of snow here and there. If you are looking at trying to get up really high somewhere they might come in handy but I don't tend to find bears at higher elevations during the spring. About 95% of my spring bear hunting is done at 6k or less. Keep an eye on SNOTEL though in case we have a cold wet spring up here.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't expect to be that high so I think I'm good. Yeah, I'll be watching SNOTEL for sure. Thx

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have atlas montagnes, I hate those plastic MSR ones, maybe they have gotten better though, I had a pair when they very first came out.