Snowshoes?

So I'm thinking of getting into snowshoing here in Washington state and I have no idea where to even start. I'm a member of promotive and leoadventures so I can get some good deals on msr and some other brands, I see STP have good deals as well. I dont even know what I need or what to look at so some help please. It looks like I have an opportunity to pick up an older mountainsmith sled with harness so that should help me with my little guy. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

OP
pyroducksx3
ummm probably backcountry but nothing extreme as Ill have a little traveler with me. I think I would probably follow a trail and break off to where I wanted to go.

OP
pyroducksx3
looks like I can get the msr axis or the ascents for 20$ more which is a better for me? I can get these at a serious discount and I'm comfortable with the price I can get them at if these are a really good shoe.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The ascents are as lite as the come, offer great traction for all types of terrain, especially vertical and ungroomed, with an excellent binding system. If you want a shoe that will do it all this is an excellent choice.

OP
pyroducksx3
Well I can get the 25" ascents with the lightning tails ( do I need these) for under 200$. So I guess I need to start looking for a good snowshoe boot. All I have are asolo sassalongs.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depending on your weight and gear the tails may be needed.

specs

Up to 180 lbs / Up to 80 kilos

w/ tails
Up to 250 lbs / Up to 109 kilos

25's
120 - 220 lbs / 54 - 100+ kilos

w/tails
120 - 280 lbs / 54 - 127 kilos

With my gear and boots I run from 175-215ish with antlers and such and do ok with the 25 w/out tails, though typically that is not in powder but firmer spring snow.

As to boots I just run my cabelas outfitters with them and they work fine. 1000 grams of insulation.

Make sure you have some poles for this activity.

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
I rented the 22's and ran a 10k in them on hood I weighed 195 on race day ..I like them alot seamed pretty tough. I'll be guying some this summer when they hit te discount sections!

OP
pyroducksx3
I weight 185-190lbs standing as god made me on the bathroom scale. I was thinking of getting the 25's as the 30's might be too long, so Im right on the border of that with gear. I probably will be towing a mountainsmith sled with my 4 yr old in it as well. I am also planning on using them in the heavier spring snow. I forgot I have the danner canadians boots so those should work great I would think.

OP
pyroducksx3
I have some of the leki flick lock poles for hiking, Im imagining you can get just a basket or something to use those?

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry man the msr evo accents . My brother got the red feather race shoes and had all sorts of problems with the strapping. we ran through about everything powder, groomed , ice layered . the run had a good amount of elevation to it alot of 50 foot accents and a big 600' gainer , we side hilled and crossed alot of draws . I wore them with shoes and gaiters and never had to adjust them one once!I was really impressed with them

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I weight 185-190lbs standing as god made me on the bathroom scale. I was thinking of getting the 25's as the 30's might be too long, so Im right on the border of that with gear. I probably will be towing a mountainsmith sled with my 4 yr old in it as well. I am also planning on using them in the heavier spring snow. I forgot I have the danner canadians boots so those should work great I would think.

The tails are as good as gold when you need them. 30 may seem big, but you sink more than you might think sometimes. I had 30s on recently and was still in above my knee. I weigh ~185 and only had about 20lb on my back.

I was thinking of getting the 25's as the 30's might be too long, so Im right on the border of that with gear. I probably will be towing a mountainsmith sled with my 4 yr old in it as well. I am also planning on using them in the heavier spring snow.

I always error on the large side when using snowshoes. My "go-to" pair are 10x36", and they have been too small far FAR more often than they have been too large. Small shoes are nice for strapping to your pack, established trails, or very shallow snow... But for 90% of off trail use, 30+ is the ticket IMO.

This picture from last Saturday shows my "little" red 10x36" shoes beside my friends old school wooden shoes. With about 20" of snow on the ground, there was no question the big ol' wood shoes were the better vehicle.

P3020217_zps8cecfcc5.jpg

The other thing I look for in a snowshoe is a full pivot binding. MSR's are a good shoe and should do well for you.

Yk

the bigger is better theory is easy enough to follow but seems like alot of extra weight when its not needed at that time... just my thought

the bigger is better theory is easy enough to follow but seems like alot of extra weight when its not needed at that time... just my thought

It's not a theory... it's experience. :) 30 winters in Alaska and the northern Canadian Territories.

For off trail use, the energy wasted used lifting your feet above the snow pack is far far more than the energy used lifting a couple more ozs of snowshoe, and the bigger shoes keep you from sinking as far (which is the whole point of a snowshoe, right?). Nothing sucks worse than postholing with snowshoes. 25" snowshoes have their uses (and I own a pair) but the idea is to float on the snow, and that's where they often fail.

Anyway, the MSR tails aren't a bad way to go to give just a little extra flotation when off trail. For light recreational and trail use, I think pyroducksx3 is on the right track.

Yk

OP
pyroducksx3
Well I got this cool mountainsmith sled to help me with my new showshoeing adventures. I will let me take my little guy along, he loves the snow, and extra gear if need be. The sled looks to be the same as the kifaru armadillo. I imagine there isnt much difference as Patrick owned mountainsmith and took the sleds with him when he sold it.

Attachments

• IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Camo Tristan.jpg
    Camo Tristan.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 18