Snowy Mountain Rifle Build with Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
7ecd28affafa2c64486ce818fe06eb9b.jpg

2a6720dfd8c8ac57572cc4c5955fb8f1.jpg

As soon as I stop shooting, I’ll get the review worked up. I’ve never had so much fun shooting rocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony, how are you liking that Zeiss V6? I had one for a short time and it was a little to big for the rifle and what I was going for, but seemed nice. But now I have another rifle that might get one of those back on top of it.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Tony, how are you liking that Zeiss V6? I had one for a short time and it was a little to big for the rifle and what I was going for, but seemed nice. But now I have another rifle that might get one of those back on top of it.

The Zeiss V6 is proving to be a nice match for the SMR. I will touch on the scope in the review.

Rolando

FNG
I'm a little late to the party here. First, congrats on the great bull! I have a question about your scope selection. SFP seems like an odd choice for an optic with a holdover reticle and a magnification over 10x. My thinking is that if I'm shooting far enough to need to hold over, I'm probably going to be on 10x anyway, so SFP is fine. I wouldn't necessarily say the same for magnifications over 10x. Are you exclusively dialing elevation? I'd be interested to learn your thought process.

Good looking build.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I'm a little late to the party here. First, congrats on the great bull! I have a question about your scope selection. SFP seems like an odd choice for an optic with a holdover reticle and a magnification over 10x. My thinking is that if I'm shooting far enough to need to hold over, I'm probably going to be on 10x anyway, so SFP is fine. I wouldn't necessarily say the same for magnifications over 10x. Are you exclusively dialing elevation? I'd be interested to learn your thought process.

Good looking build.

Thanks Rolando! I am having a blast this year and this gun is one of the reasons why.
I'm curious why you wouldn't want SFP after 10x?
My thinking is this, if I am dialing up for a longer shot, I will have time and be zoomed all the way in so SFP works great.
If I am in a faster/closer situation, it will have to be much closer to allow a shot opportunity. In this case, it's irrelevant which focal plane I'm using. I am not rushing any shot that I dial up.

carter33

WKR
How is the Crosstac lightweight rear bag and do you bring it on hunts? I came to the conclusion that bringing a lightweight rear bag hunting would be worth the weight penalty as I can shoot the same setup that I practice on that way. I also run the spartan bipod. I currently have a wiebad lightweight rear bag but it just doesn’t feel natural/comfortable with the spartan bipod and hunting rifle, sideways it is too short and upright it is too long unless I extend the legs of the bipod.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
How is the Crosstac lightweight rear bag and do you bring it on hunts? I came to the conclusion that bringing a lightweight rear bag hunting would be worth the weight penalty as I can shoot the same setup that I practice on that way. I also run the spartan bipod. I currently have a wiebad lightweight rear bag but it just doesn’t feel natural/comfortable with the spartan bipod and hunting rifle, sideways it is too short and upright it is too long unless I extend the legs of the bipod.

I liked it, it weighs about nothing with the foam beads. As far as height, every shot in the field is different and sometimes a rear bag isn't enough. I found lots of shots (mostly rocks and coyotes) that I could have used a larger rear bag. I guess that's just part of being in the wild, you never know what will present itself to us.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I just realized I never touched on the SMR muzzle brake in my review, not sure how Left it out!

The side discharge brake that SMR builds kept the Alpine Hunter on target as well as any brake I have used. This was very important for me as I am typically alone and have no spotter watching my shot, I need to be able to stay on target as the shot breaks to see my hits. As long as I kept good form and forward pressure at the shot. SMR has designed and built a very functional brake that you can order in SS or Ti.