Snowy Range fire started

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
North of 130 is not bad and lots of moose there. You can also hunt in Vedauwoo area. Good moose there as well.
You can find a bull in the area still open but I would say if you can come back next year consider it. Ask G&F about the number of tags next year if you do, will yours add to the quota or will they just roll over the tags this year and not issues new ones next year ?
I was within a few yards of a smallish bull last week in north part of your moose area.
I think you could still fill your tag but there were good bulls in that south part of 38, I bet they have moved out of fires path but where ?
Roads closed for logging will be open in north part, have seen many moose over there.
2 bulls we played with in 2019, north part of your area.

View attachment 218347
View attachment 218348
I agree with WyTex, plenty of moose north of 130 and the smoke isn't too bad over there... yet. In your shoes I would watch the fire news and wait to make the call. It will get really bad over the next couple days but then cooler weather is moving in next week. Hopefully growth will slow down then.
Thanks for the input guys. That’s my plan, wait till the last minute possible and just assess how bad it’s gotten, a lot can happen in a week. Main concern isn’t finding moose, but dealing with bad smoke. WY offered a full refund with point reinstatement or to be rolled over till next year for guaranteed same tag, which I thought is great of them. Have until Nov to turn it in as long as I haven’t hunted it. Also, it’s a cow moose tag, but for me, I couldn’t be more excited for a chance at a lower 48 moose.

Laramie

WKR
Thanks for the input guys. That’s my plan, wait till the last minute possible and just assess how bad it’s gotten, a lot can happen in a week. Main concern isn’t finding moose, but dealing with bad smoke. WY offered a full refund with point reinstatement or to be rolled over till next year for guaranteed same tag, which I thought is great of them. Have until Nov to turn it in as long as I haven’t hunted it. Also, it’s a cow moose tag, but for me, I couldn’t be more excited for a chance at a lower 48 moose.
Moose like year old burns... would be pretty easy to find that cow next year if you don't mind waiting. Hardest part of filling that tag is finding one without a calf. I saw 3 this year bowhunting not in the fire closure area. If you decide to go, I would be glad to tell you where I saw them. No clue if they will be there a month later though.

They are offering refunds/rollovers for deer area 78 and LQ cow elk 110. Contact the WG&F if you haven't already received an email.

Yeah I have a unit 78 buck tag so going to wait til the last minute and see how the fire progresses. I feel super handicapped. I may roll over there and assess it in person before I make a for sure decision.