Snyder Grip

Can someone please explain to me what the Snyder grip is?

Thinner in the palm, (is that it)?

Anything else, or more detail?

OP
Anglo-American
It's a grip that I believe they say requires big boy pants.......

Second to last, gives good detail of all their grips.
That was good, cheers.

More angular, possibly helping with keep a consistent grip due to how wedging it in the hand feel..?

That was good, cheers.

More angular, possibly helping with keep a consistent grip due to how wedging it in the hand feel..?

That consistent grip is going to be personal. We are all built a little different. Generally a flat back will produce less torque, other than that, it's what works for you.

I have had a few I can't do much with, just doesn't work for me, both compounds and stick bows.

It's basically optimized for shooting the "Clum" method of holding the bow.
Lower wrist position.
This is one of his Wolverines. I actually had South take my medium wrist Coyote and Snyderite it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pics didn't attach to my last post...
d6a7498ede40a4c16e23138981de325e.jpg
2f71ef79d74c3f6ffcbb3ac03eb721a3.jpg

OP
Anglo-American
It's basically optimized for shooting the "Clum" method of holding the bow.
Lower wrist position.
This is one of his Wolverines. I actually had South take my medium wrist Coyote and Snyderite it.

Canny bow. 👌

I'm assuming that you've owned and used regular handled recurve bows prior to this?

Regular handle and fat palm swell handles, how do they compare to the SYNDER, good, bad and indifferent?

bobinmi

WKR
That guy has been shooting trad for like 3-5 years and he already has a grip named after him. Fred Asbell will be jealous.
Maybe its because the information that he is sharing will actually encourage people to stick with it instead of the pray and spray snap shooting crap that convinced a generation of Traditional Archers that instinctive shooting was the only correct way to do it and and 20yds was max range....

Edit: That was harsh and I probably need a snickers.

oldgoat

WKR
I've heard Asbell described as a great ambassador of the sport, but the worst thing that's happened to shooting form and accuracy. Supposed to be a super nice guy!

bobinmi

WKR
I've heard Asbell described as a great ambassador of the sport, but the worst thing that's happened to shooting form and accuracy. Supposed to be a super nice guy!
I've met him and can attest that He came off as a very nice man. I actually sat through a shooting seminar and could not believe what I was listening to.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
just food for thought but grips are thought to add all sorts of magic. They don’t. If you shoot with a proper hand position it’ll not matter if you’re not squeezing the bow.
When I teach I mention holding the bow not choking it, or hold it like an egg or baby bird, hold riser, don’t break the egg or kill the bird.
A relaxed loose grip automatically makes your hand slide into the same position if your hand position is correct. Another reason I’m no fan of checkered grips. No slide.
You can’t torque a bow if you shoot it properly. Only can grips change things if you’re already causing a problem.
I personally shoot straight gripped longbows the most, an old bighorn with a big palm swell, med grip widow psa, thin gripped Toelke whip, pretty sculptured Robertson fatal styk among others. I use the same exact hand position and don’t need warn ups to shoot the bows. I don’t nor does anyone else need arm guards either but that’s another story
I often switch back n forth just because and even tonight I did so. My gaps are similar and out to 20 is not an issue. They may change further out but point is torque never gets introduced and no matter the riser grip type it can’t. Least none of the large numbers of grips I’ve ever shot.
Something to consider

Blackcow

WKR
I’ll agree AND disagree. Yes, if you’re using a relatively “proper grip”, most people will be able to realize decent accuracy, and no, there is no magic grip. But, since you teach people, I’m positive that by now you’ve realized that people have different size and shapes of hands. Different amounts of flexibility in the wrist, different old injuries, etc. So it’s a bit more nuanced, don’t you think? Otherwise, after all the years bows have been made, by now there would just be one grip on all bows. Here’s your bow grip, this how you hold it. Have fun!
But there’s not. Every Bowyer will at least do a high, med, low. Jager, rcore and others have a million different ones. People put putty on them. Hit them with a rasp. Why? Well, even when everyone uses “your” proper grip, there are things you can do that make the part of your hand that does touch the bow both more comfortable AND repeatable.

OP
Anglo-American
Maybe its because the information that he is sharing will actually encourage people to stick with it instead of the pray and spray snap shooting crap that convinced a generation of Traditional Archers that instinctive shooting was the only correct way to do it and and 20yds was max range....

Edit: That was harsh and I probably need a snickers.Sir, is your blood sugar low

just food for thought but grips are thought to add all sorts of magic. They don’t. If you shoot with a proper hand position it’ll not matter if you’re not squeezing the bow.
When I teach I mention holding the bow not choking it, or hold it like an egg or baby bird, hold riser, don’t break the egg or kill the bird.
A relaxed loose grip automatically makes your hand slide into the same position if your hand position is correct. Another reason I’m no fan of checkered grips. No slide.
You can’t torque a bow if you shoot it properly. Only can grips change things if you’re already causing a problem.
I personally shoot straight gripped longbows the most, an old bighorn with a big palm swell, med grip widow psa, thin gripped Toelke whip, pretty sculptured Robertson fatal styk among others. I use the same exact hand position and don’t need warn ups to shoot the bows. I don’t nor does anyone else need arm guards either but that’s another story
I often switch back n forth just because and even tonight I did so. My gaps are similar and out to 20 is not an issue. They may change further out but point is torque never gets introduced and no matter the riser grip type it can’t. Least none of the large numbers of grips I’ve ever shot.
Something to consider
Good points, but dude: if you're doing all of that it's because you are good at what you're doing.
Often when we are good at something that our brain and personality finds simple we can't comprehend how others are not able to "just" do it as well.

You need to give yourself more credit, but symultainusly others more patience to.

I left my natural, dyslexic spelling of simultaneously there to make this point.

I to like a range of bows from English longbows, Hungarian horse bows, and modern three piece take downs. All great fun, and all with different grips.

Last edited:

oldgoat

WKR
I’ll agree AND disagree. Yes, if you’re using a relatively “proper grip”, most people will be able to realize decent accuracy, and no, there is no magic grip. But, since you teach people, I’m positive that by now you’ve realized that people have different size and shapes of hands. Different amounts of flexibility in the wrist, different old injuries, etc. So it’s a bit more nuanced, don’t you think? Otherwise, after all the years bows have been made, by now there would just be one grip on all bows. Here’s your bow grip, this how you hold it. Have fun!
But there’s not. Every Bowyer will at least do a high, med, low. Jager, rcore and others have a million different ones. People put putty on them. Hit them with a rasp. Why? Well, even when everyone uses “your” proper grip, there are things you can do that make the part of your hand that does touch the bow both more comfortable AND repeatable.
Spot on! I have a bad thumb on my bow hand, didn't realize it was a particular bow causing it almost 100%. Switched to shooting Toelke locator grip about six years ago and I can't remember the last time it hurt, I thought I was going to have to quit or lose my job or quit shooting bows it got so bad.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Good points, but dude: if you're doing all of that it's because you are good at what you're doing.
Often when we are good at something that our brain and personality finds simple we can't comprehend how others are not able to "just" do it as well.

You need to give yourself more credit, but symultainusly others more patience to.

I left my natural, dyslexic spelling of simultaneously there to make this point.

I to like a range of bows from English longbows, Hungarian horse bows, and modern three piece take downs. All great fun.
Thank you for the compliment but that wasn’t nearly my point. I often use the words we don’t know what we don’t know. That’s true, I can’t know what someone else is truly going through but I teach all sorts of people, all the time. Sometimes because of injury or something we need to modify, nothing is absolute. Relatively consistent and I’d bet we could figure something to work got most folks in that situation.

OP
Anglo-American
Thank you for the compliment but that wasn’t nearly my point. I often use the words we don’t know what we don’t know. That’s true, I can’t know what someone else is truly going through but I teach all sorts of people, all the time. Sometimes because of injury or something we need to modify, nothing is absolute. Relatively consistent and I’d bet we could figure something to work got most folks in that situation.
Consistent hard work and gifted can become amazing, the good, become great and so on yes 100%.

Wrists are funny though, a change of grip could be a simple and lifetime fix for either comfort or repetitive strain injury.

This is why I only do finger or fist pushups, due to wrist problems developing when doing high volume pushups.

- I asked this as I saw a black widow take down for sale on here with a Synder grip.
I know who it's name sake is, but I didn't know the shape of the grip.