SO 8 man pole alternative

I had to leave my SO 8 man tipi set up in the backcountry for the night after packing out two elk. Came back to find this after 4-5in of snow that night.
CF5F6687-FC89-4162-ADC2-8D0F5E9234F5.jpeg0563C227-90B7-4FF1-B26D-F12CA7ED39A0.jpeg

Reached out to SO to see if the pole would be covered under warranty and was told I could purchase a new pole for $65. I was told the pole was designed to fail before the shelter, and while that’s likely true, I do feel like it should be able to handle some modest snowfall prior to failing. I wouldn’t have considered 4-5” to be “excessive snow load” that fell outside of warranty. But that’s their call not mine, still a great shelter, the lodge pole we ended up cutting worked fine for the rest of the trip.

Regardless of the fact it should or shouldn’t have failed, I’m in need of a new pole and am looking for alternatives to seek outside. There isn’t always a lodge pole available to cut to length at every location.

Anyone know of some affordable comparable aluminum poles?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It depends on type of snow . Dry fluffy and it may be over a foot , wetter snow is less . Snow needs to be managed as well .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt that you'll have many options that you'd be happy with for less than $65. I purchased a tipi that came with a center pole that was pretty weak and ended buying a pole from Amazon that I'm very happy with, but it's no longer available. It's similar to these below.

REI sells this 8 ft pole for $45.

Moserkr

WKR
Ruta Locura makes some very strong, light CF poles. Mine has withstood some insane winds and decent snow in a similar sized tipi, but never snow without me there to manage it. Hard to say what would happen then. We get the “sierra cement” snow out here - heavy.

Honestly, it was designed to do that and save your $1,000 shelter for the cost of a $65 pole. I think Id pay the money and consider it a good purchase. The lesson alone is worth that and it functioned correctly. By replacing with a stronger pole you may come back to a shelter torn in two next time.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would recommend , really, a build your own, using aircraft spruce , 6061 or to take two poles if you are concerned. The failure rate on 8 person poles is very very small . However, if a shelter is unmanned during snow, having the pole go is the best solution . Weight varies of snow, Ive seen over a foot on an 8 man of the dry fluffy type.