SO 8 Man Tipi

SO 8 man Tipi was just delivered and I quickly set it up. I was hesitant on pulling the trigger on a floor less shelter but I am glad I did. This tipi will be able to sleep 4 with a stove on a up coming backpack hunt in PA.

Obviously SO has a long lead time, but give them a call and ask what blemished items they have. This 8 man claims to have a messed up stitching seem, but hell I can’t tell.

Maybe someone could help me out. I used the pole radius method. It seem to come out OK on my first pitch. How does it look to you guys?7D107BB4-DE60-4795-BA00-2F5DB20AB0D2.jpeg

It looks good if you are going to use the guy outs too. That will allow you to sort of square out that slack. If you aren't planning on using the guy outs, try staking it just a touch more narrow, and then jack the pole up.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looks like the pole could go up a notch or two. That would help get more tension on the seams.

I really need to shoot a new pitch video.....

Think of the tent like this - there are 10 seams and 10 main stake loops. Two of those seams have zippers in them. The other 8 seams have a bit of stretch to them.

The zipper seams have NO stretch, thus NO forgiveness on pitch. The diameter across the doors has to be spot on.

The other eight seams have some stretch, so some forgiveness.

Get the distance right between the doors, fan the rest out, get the pole up, then adjust the 8 forgiving seams in or out to adjust tension. Finally pop the pole up a notch or two to pull tension.

Sticking a rock under the pole keeps it from sinking in.

OP
E
Looks like the pole could go up a notch or two. That would help get more tension on the seams.

I really need to shoot a new pitch video.....

Think of the tent like this - there are 10 seams and 10 main stake loops. Two of those seams have zippers in them. The other 8 seams have a bit of stretch to them.

The zipper seams have NO stretch, thus NO forgiveness on pitch. The diameter across the doors has to be spot on.

The other eight seams have some stretch, so some forgiveness.

Get the distance right between the doors, fan the rest out, get the pole up, then adjust the 8 forgiving seams in or out to adjust tension. Finally pop the pole up a notch or two to pull tension.

Sticking a rock under the pole keeps it from sinking in.

Thank you for the advise! I believe I only got to the second notch on the pole. I most likely need to bring the diameter inwards to have a steeper wall angle.

I did follow a 8 man tipi setup video on YouTube. Can’t remember the name. I plan on making a few videos during a PA back country hunt. I’ll shoot them over to you.

OP
E
I would like to hear how you liked it after the hunt. 3 hunters in my party. Thinking about buying a bigger tipi for use as our main basecamp/truck camp. Curious how this works out for you with 4 guys and gear.

You can’t cheat the mountain

The local town really cares about its lawns lol.

I will remember to take a few videos and Pictures of the trip. Should be 5 miles back and in some of the steeper PA mountains.

FlyGuy

WKR
The local town really cares about its lawns lol.

I will remember to take a few videos and Pictures of the trip. Should be 5 miles back and in some of the steeper PA mountains.

Thx!

It Might be a challenge to find a large enough flat spot, but if you can locate a few good campsites then i feel like it’s so much nicer to have all your guys in one shelter. The three of us typically each pack individual 1 man floorless shelters (supertarps) b/c it’s way easier to find 3 very small flats than one big enough for three. But it is nice to have help with the stove, and it’s just nice to have a buddy to talk and joke with before bed and in the am. Overall, IMO, it can be a nicer experience/better memories. Looking forward to hearing about it.

OP
E
Thx!

It Might be a challenge to find a large enough flat spot, but if you can locate a few good campsites then i feel like it’s so much nicer to have all your guys in one shelter. The three of us typically each pack individual 1 man floorless shelters (supertarps) b/c it’s way easier to find 3 very small flats than one big enough for three. But it is nice to have help with the stove, and it’s just nice to have a buddy to talk and joke with before bed and in the am. Overall, IMO, it can be a nicer experience/better memories. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Well the area we are going into of PA has a good amount of flat area on the ridges.

The reason we got the tent is for the titanium stove. That will allow us to have come back to the camp and get warm again, cook/boil and a moral boost. I have been on a several hunts in the back country where Id rather walk to the truck then lay in this sleeping bag (even when i have an adequate bag). The entire setup is like 12 pounds? We will split the weight on the pack in.

The other part that i love about the 8 man is it can turn into a 6 man foot print. If you dont need the square footage or you dont have the flat area, use the guy out locations as your main stake points.

SO 8 man Tipi was just delivered and I quickly set it up. I was hesitant on pulling the trigger on a floor less shelter but I am glad I did. This tipi will be able to sleep 4 with a stove on a up coming backpack hunt in PA.

Obviously SO has a long lead time, but give them a call and ask what blemished items they have. This 8 man claims to have a messed up stitching seem, but hell I can’t tell.

Maybe someone could help me out. I used the pole radius method. It seem to come out OK on my first pitch. How does it look to you guys?View attachment 206034
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and looking at the 8 man for a 3-4 person group. Will be used 80% base camp from trail head and 20% spike camp for a few pack ins. Would like to hear more about how your trip went and what you liked about the SO and what you didn't like if anything. Thanks

OP
E
Thx!

Attachments

• E05C8F0D-F8DB-4307-BBEC-04A6DF8986DE.jpeg
    E05C8F0D-F8DB-4307-BBEC-04A6DF8986DE.jpeg
    530.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 139DA21F-4984-4C4B-A993-C804F78B8464.jpeg
    139DA21F-4984-4C4B-A993-C804F78B8464.jpeg
    737.9 KB · Views: 41
  • F75651F6-4706-413B-87E3-175FC1731653.jpeg
    F75651F6-4706-413B-87E3-175FC1731653.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 42
  • AAB73FEC-40E9-48E7-8268-10F004F27F2A.jpeg