SO Backpack advice

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
Been tossing the idea around for about a year now, and I am thinking about pulling the trigger for a SO "custom" 5400 lanner style bag in SpectragridHT fabric, with suspension and all..
I have a few questions for the ones who have exp in seek packs and any advice would be really appreciated before i place my order.

Being 5'10, 175lbs - do i need pack frame extensions or will the frame fit as is selected in the order menu?
If i wanted accessories pockets for the hip belt, do they have to be ordered separate?
Is there anything else i am missing or need to be aware of?

I have been very happy with my KUIU LT5500, just want to see if the grass is greener on the other side...

Appreciate the feedback guys!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Rokwiia

WKR
I would definitely get the both 2" and 4" frame extensions especially at a cost of $10 each. You want your load lifters to be high enough to do their job. As the weight in the pack increases, I find myself regularly adding a 2" extension. I got both (2" and 4") because I didn't want to be without if needed.

The belt pockets are an add on. I got two mediums, one and each side, for my Fortress 6,300 and they are roomy. Plenty of space to put things. The extra large even more space.

One other option is a top lid. I bought one just to have additional space to grab things without having to go into the pack. I typically only use it during cold weather but is a good option to add space outside the pack.

I also bought an extra set of gatekeepers ($10) and bring one or two with me in case one happens to break. It's never happened but the cost is nominal and weight is nothing.

Nathan, from SO, has an excellent video about carrying a SO pack with weight. The entire video is a worthwhile view but at the 4:20 minute mark he talks about 4" frame extensions and load distribution:

I agree on getting the extensions. I have the 6300 Fortress. I prefer the xl pockets for the belt - I thought the standard was too small. I'm not a lid fan from my previous Kifaru so I have a Merlin talon with mine that I like a lot. If you are using their custom options you can also choose to have a bag zipper or not. I prefer not because I'm often in wet conditions but if that's not the case you might like a zippers convenience. Good luck!

learl

Lil-Rokslider
I have a stock lanner in xpac, it’s an awesome bag. I think the layout is great in terms of simplicity and versatility. You shouldn’t need a lid as the built in top pocket works very well.

I’m around your height and would at least get the 2” extensions. Seek have a chart on their website that gives frame heights relative to torso length and carried weight that’s worth checking out.

OP
gexpro

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
thank you to everyone who has shared some insight/recommendations!

It also appears i will be tossing a lumber pad into the order as well! i noticed this was a extra addon

bozeman

WKR
Yes, get the lumbar pad. I’d advise you try each combination.
Floating belt WITH lumbar
Floating belt WITHOUT lumbar

Fixed belt WITH lumbar
Fixed belt WITHOUT lumbar

You will enjoy the pack.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5'10 and have carried some very heavy loads with the SO Peregrine. It's awesome, I've never used the extensions, but like others have said, for $10 might as well get them. I think if I was faced with a TRULY grueling pack out I'd take the time to set them up

ohoopee

WKR
I wish mine had grommet holes in the bottom. Bag holds water if you have wet gear inside
from stormy weather. I also keep a pack cover handy if I am expecting constant rain. Bag will
get heavier when soaked from days of rain:))). Never a problem for showers or a quick storm though.

Takem

WKR
I would definitely get the both 2" and 4" frame extensions especially at a cost of $10 each. You want your load lifters to be high enough to do their job. As the weight in the pack increases, I find myself regularly adding a 2" extension. I got both (2" and 4") because I didn't want to be without if needed.

The belt pockets are an add on. I got two mediums, one and each side, for my Fortress 6,300 and they are roomy. Plenty of space to put things. The extra large even more space.

One other option is a top lid. I bought one just to have additional space to grab things without having to go into the pack. I typically only use it during cold weather but is a good option to add space outside the pack.

I also bought an extra set of gatekeepers ($10) and bring one or two with me in case one happens to break. It's never happened but the cost is nominal and weight is nothing.

Nathan, from SO, has an excellent video about carrying a SO pack with weight. The entire video is a worthwhile view but at the 4:20 minute mark he talks about 4" frame extensions and load distribution:

Thanks that's a good video. Watching that I realize I need a bigger pack. I 'm 6'4" and have a Kifaru Duplex frame and I cannot get my load lifters anywhere near where he has them with the extensions.

Rokwiia

WKR
At 6:00 in the video above, Nathan does an excellent job showing the process of shifting the load carrying from shoulders to hips and back from hips to shoulders. At 6:54, you can see the space that is created between the shoulder straps and his shoulders confirming the load is now on his hips. I think that becomes more difficult when the load lifters have a more flat angle rather than a steeper one created by the 4" extensions.

Rokwiia

WKR
my order is in! now time to wait 6-8 weeks!
Congratulations!
I'm on 8 weeks from order with no movement and planning on calling Monday to find out what the deal is. Before order I was told they were running 5-ish weeks.
Was your order a custom backpack or off-the-shelf? I believe the former was estimated to be 6-8 weeks and the latter 4 weeks. Please let us know what you find out.

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I used this pack last year. I’ll send you a pm.