So, bear.

ChrisAU

WKR
I have zero zilch nada info on bears. I have never seen one in the wild. We never saw one on our backpack hunt this past October in CO. However, with the tag price drop, I'm considering buying one for 2019. My main question is...what do you do with it? Guys here keep the hide and do something with it? How much meat do you get from a CO black bear?

I have zero zilch nada info on bears. I have never seen one in the wild. We never saw one on our backpack hunt this past October in CO. However, with the tag price drop, I'm considering buying one for 2019. My main question is...what do you do with it? Guys here keep the hide and do something with it? How much meat do you get from a CO black bear?

You eat it bro. Haha. Best of luck in killing one. They are awesome animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely eat it, they taste amazing. Taking the hide and skull is a given. Fall bears are a nightmare to skin and flesh because of all the fat, but they're worth the work.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

bradb

WKR
I shot one here in WI a couple years ago, doing a full mount, did skull mount. I have had bear and the meat is good.....but we knew the 300# sow was OLD. Did most into sticks and sausage, very few steaks and a couple roast. The meat was so tough you could not eat it. I got the tooth age data back a week ago and she was aged at 24.
Otherwise normally bear has been good

KJH

WKR
Not sure if you plan to hunt the fall or spring.

I've killed a lot of bears in the spring. IMO, it is 1,000% unedible in the spring. They do have awesome fur in the spring though, and make amazing rugs before they get rubbed. If you shoot one in the fall, I've heard that its edible meat, and some even claim to like it. I've never tried fall bear meat. I've never bothered to shoot one I've seen in the fall since it takes hunting time away from something I want top shoot. I have seen a quite a few with some rough fur/hide in the fall so they may not make as good of rugs then. The last fall bear I almost shot was chewing on my partners leather boot right outside of our tent at 3am. Plenty of food available a couple feet away but it wanted a old boot. They are not smart... until you want to hunt them... Good luck!

Skinning big bears isn't bad at all, and I kind of enjoy it. The worst part is the smell. The actual skinning work is pretty easy compared to some animals... at least in the spring. I find it much easier to split and turn the ears of a bear than a wolf. Skinning smaller bears is a pain.

I've killed a lot of bears in the spring. IMO, it is 1,000% unedible in the spring. They do have awesome fur in the spring though, and make amazing rugs before they get rubbed. If you shoot one in the fall, I've heard that its edible meat, and some even claim to like it. I've never tried fall bear meat. I've never bothered to shoot one I've seen in the fall since it takes hunting time away from something I want top shoot. I have seen a quite a few with some rough fur/hide in the fall so they may not make as good of rugs then. The last fall bear I almost shot was chewing on my partners leather boot right outside of our tent at 3am. Plenty of food available a couple feet away but it wanted a old boot. They are not smart... until you want to hunt them... Good luck!

Skinning big bears isn't bad at all, and I kind of enjoy it. The worst part is the smell. The actual skinning work is pretty easy compared to some animals... at least in the spring. I find it much easier to split and turn the ears of a bear than a wolf. Skinning smaller bears is a pain.

So many things wrong with this post I wouldn't know where to begin.

Clarktar

WKR

My spring black bear here in WA was tasty! It didn't smell when I skinned it either... You must have different bears.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

swampokie

WKR

Do us all a favor and stick to elk and deer. Pretend it’s still 351$.

- - - Updated - - -

If someone came on here and asked what they should do with an elk because they were bear hunters but killed an elk because the tag was cheap they would be torn to pieces. People would go nuts. Come on man

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Killing bears in Colorado is a problem so they reduced price to encourage NEW people to participate. Looks like cpw finally has a plan that might work.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Do us all a favor and stick to elk and deer. Pretend it’s still 351$.

- - - Updated - - -

If someone came on here and asked what they should do with an elk because they were bear hunters but killed an elk because the tag was cheap they would be torn to pieces. People would go nuts. Come on man

No offense, but I don't think I could disagree with this more. It seems to me like he's just trying to get some info on something he's unfamiliar with but interested in. I don't see much difference between this and any of the "What to take on my first backpack hunt" threads. Isn't that the point of forums like this?

Anyway....to the OP, I say go for it. You'll donate $100 to CPW and hopefully take a bear, of which CO has more than it needs. Just read the regs and make sure you know what your duties are post-kill, have a good time, and hopefully enjoy some tasty meat!

No offense, but I don't think I could disagree with this more. It seems to me like he's just trying to get some info on something he's unfamiliar with but interested in. I don't see much difference between this and any of the "What to take on my first backpack hunt" threads. Isn't that the point of forums like this?

Anyway....to the OP, I say go for it. You'll donate $100 to CPW and hopefully take a bear, of which CO has more than it needs. Just read the regs and make sure you know what your duties are post-kill, have a good time, and hopefully enjoy some tasty meat!

I second these sentiments, and will add hunting black bears is it’s own experience (especially with a bow) that you won’t regret. IMO They are awesome animals that don’t get the respect they deserve. Process the meat the right way and it will be added lbs of meat in the freezer. Best of luck brother.

EastMT

WKR
Alpine bears are one of the best meats you can get. Find one up high in the berries, cook the meat in its own fat. You will not find a better rotisserie round roast. Breakfast sausage is phenomenal from bear. Back strap cooked in bear fat in camp is amazing.

If you have some berries to make a little sauce to top the steak with, mmmmm.

As mentioned, always cook it well. Trichinae are in the muscle tissue of a % of bears. No big deal, it’s been in pork since the beginning of time. Only since industrial controlled farming was invented has it been almost eradicated. Aim for 160 internal, enjoy.

swampokie

WKR
Alpine bears are one of the best meats you can get. Find one up high in the berries, cook the meat in its own fat. You will not find a better rotisserie round roast. Breakfast sausage is phenomenal from bear. Back strap cooked in bear fat in camp is amazing.

If you have some berries to make a little sauce to top the steak with, mmmmm.

As mentioned, always cook it well. Trichinae are in the muscle tissue of a % of bears. No big deal, it’s been in pork since the beginning of time. Only since industrial controlled farming was invented has it been almost eradicated. Aim for 160 internal, enjoy.

165 degrees. Bear is among the best of all wild game. It’s a shame that it doesn’t get the respect it deserves.

EastMT

WKR
The actual temp is 137 deg to kill trichinella but the temp of 160 was set to account for cold spots, thermometers that have never been calibrated, incompetence, etc. People get sick from not cooking burgers to 158 all the time, it’s not too difficult.

Jimss

WKR
Sure wish there was spring bear hunting available in Colo! You can bet there would be a lot of hunters that would take advantage of a spring season if available. The CPW put a cabash to is several years ago! A spring hunt would definitely spook bears that tend to spend time robbing cabins and garbage bins! The bear population and bear-human conflicts have boomed since the CPW got rid of spring bear hunts, baiting, and dog hunting. Spring bear hunts would be a $ generator for the CPW and also offer spring bear hunters new opportunity!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure wish there was spring bear hunting available in Colo! You can bet there would be a lot of hunters that would take advantage of a spring season if available. The CPW put a cabash to is several years ago! A spring hunt would definitely spook bears that tend to spend time robbing cabins and garbage bins! The bear population and bear-human conflicts have boomed since the CPW got rid of spring bear hunts, baiting, and dog hunting. Spring bear hunts would be a $ generator for the CPW and also offer spring bear hunters new opportunity!
I thought all of that was a ballot measure and adapted to law. I don't remember what exactly what was what

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

swampokie

WKR
Colorado has became a truly awesome place for spot n stalk bear hunters. I really fear that 100$ tags will destroy that. I understand they want more bears killed but that means taking away a quality fall hunt. I hate to see it change.

ckleeves

WKR
The more the merrier on bear tags imo. I’m not even sure the 100.00 tag is going to reduce bear numbers where they need to be. I hope lots of guys buy them and are successful.

Colorado has became a truly awesome place for spot n stalk bear hunters. I really fear that 100$ tags will destroy that. I understand they want more bears killed but that means taking away a quality fall hunt. I hate to see it change.

Could be worse you could live in Ca, 1 season, no dogs and it’s too damn hot. What can I say apparently we have a better “wildlife” management plan than a “game” management plan.