SO Cimarron or Redcliff???

Voyageur

WKR
Started my search considering only a 4 or 6 man tipi to use on those hunts (fly-in with anywhere from 50-65 lb. limit) where my 8 man tipi ate up too much of the weight allowance. These hunts take place at a time of the year when the stove would be used. Occupants are just me or one partner.
After speaking with several manufacturers I've become interested in the SO Cimarron and and Redcliff instead of the conventional tipi. I'm nearing the point of information overload so in an effort to simplify my remaining choice between the two I thought I would share my rationale and let others who have used any of the considered shelters (4 or 6 tipis, Cimarron, or Redcliff) give their opinions on where my decision is headed.
1. I drifted away from considering tipis for two reasons. The 6 man tipi was similar enough in size and weight to my 8 man tipi that it didn't make much sense. The 4 man eventually lost out because the Cimarron, due to its shape and angles, made better use of ground space.
2. Right now as I go back and forth between the Cimarron and Redcliff I'm leaning more towards the Redcliff because even though the extra weight is a consideration it's not weight I have to pack on my back.
3. I'm also leaning towards the extra space of the Redcliff because its use will take place at a time of year when quite a bit of clothing is needed for warmth and the extra space of the Redcliff will better absorb that extra gear.
4. The one thing I can't come up with an answer to, and I suppose it's because the answer is subjective, is if the Cimarron has space enough for the needs I outlined in point 3. In other words would the Redcliff be overkill?
5. For stove size I've decided to go with the smallest suggested size for either shelter. My reasoning on that is that in my experience over the past 18 years with my Kifaru large box stove burn time is so short there really isn't much burn time gained with a larger stove. So, in the interest of spaciousness, I'm thinking I will go with the smallest suggested stove option for whatever shelter I eventually choose.
Thoughts???

How many people you looking to fit in these with a stove? I just did a sheep hunt where 3 of us slept in a Cimarron (no stove) and kept our gear in a tarp tent outside, so basically just sleeping bags - and it wasn't what I would call a mansion of room inside. Impossible with a stove for three people I would say, or the outside wall sleepers will be up against the wet walls all night. If its just you in there, I would say a stove and you and your gear will fit nicely. 2 people and gear/stove is getting snug.

*sorry, just read its just you and a partner.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
View attachment 219898
Here is what it looked like with 2 people's gear, sleeping pads stacked on each other in the morning, and no stove.
Thanks for the picture. Just to be sure I'm understanding correctly: The picture is a Cimarron with 2 people and no stove? Again, thanks for taking the time to responsd.

Thanks for the picture. Just to be sure I'm understanding correctly: The picture is a Cimarron with 2 people and no stove? Again, thanks for taking the time to responsd.
Yes, 2 people and their gear. the sleeping pads were both on one side of the pole in this case since the tyvek ground sheet was cut for doubles. No stove. As mentioned, when I was in there my pad would have been where the Jetboil is, all our gear was under a sill tarp outside. They said they were glad to be rid of me, they had "So much more room for activities!" 😄

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Yes, 2 people and their gear. the sleeping pads were both on one side of the pole in this case since the tyvek ground sheet was cut for doubles. No stove. As mentioned, when I was in there my pad would have been where the Jetboil is, all our gear was under a sill tarp outside. They said they were glad to be rid of me, they had "So much more room for activities!" 😄
Unless I'm missing something it seems to me your picture makes a pretty strong case for the Redcliff being better for my use scenarios.

Like you said, space is subjective. I could see where 2 guys could have a stove and gear inside, especially if they stack pads during the day. It would be pretty tight with the stove IMO, but some people may think they have all the room in the world. Sleeping with a stove 18 inches from my face would make a space seem pretty small, pretty quick.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Like you said, space is subjective. I could see where 2 guys could have a stove and gear inside, especially if they stack pads during the day. It would be pretty tight with the stove IMO, but some people may think they have all the room in the world. Sleeping with a stove 18 inches from my face would make a space seem pretty small, pretty quick.
Agreed. I tend to like a little extra space rather than going cordwood style.

Heres my redcliff, I love the space
The GF has room for herself and gear , she 6'0
My dog has space and on the other side of the stove there's space for wood.
And I take the other side with all my gear . I'm 6'4"
You will need a good spot for the footprint as the tent is long.

Attachments

• 20200416_220700.jpg
    20200416_220700.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 303
  • 20200416_133736.jpg
    20200416_133736.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 302
OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Nice. What stove do you have in your Redcliff?

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Nice set up, what ground tarp is that? Thoughts on it?

Just did the first of many trips with the SO Redcliff UltraLight. Didn't use a stove (didn't need it) but slept 4 guys very comfortably. Plenty of space, could have certainly had the stove as well ( SO Large UTurn). Will be using the stove w/ 3 guys on a Second Season CO deer hunt.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR

Just did the first of many trips with the SO Redcliff UltraLight. Didn't use a stove (didn't need it) but slept 4 guys very comfortably. Plenty of space, could have certainly had the stove as well ( SO Large UTurn). Will be using the stove w/ 3 guys on a Second Season CO deer hunt.
Please let me know how 3 people and a stove work for you.

Its just a camo tarp , they work well but the stove heat will melt them underneath if you get it hot

CO-AJ

WKR
I am likely echoing many others on here. I have the SO Cim in DCF and I use the LBO nest. I primarily use it for solo backpacking and it gives me a ton of space obviously. So much that I can put my helinox chair inside with all my gear and a stove and watch it rain outside. If you don't run a nest and run a stove I would say the Cim would be great for 2 and gear. If you think you would go to 3 with gear I would definitely opt for the Redcliff. I don't think they make the Redcliff yet in DCF, and while DCF is expensive it is so light for the size it blows my mind every time I set it up. Lastly, no matter which you go with I think you are buying one of the highest quality tents out there. My Cim is absolutely awesome as far as quality and craftsmanship. The seamstresses who did the work signed tags on both the nest and the tent. Absolutely awesome touch. I can't recommend SO enough for tents.

Last edited:

CO-AJ

WKR
Is that a Winnerwell stove? Looks like it. I am very interested in that stove vs the SO stoves. How has the Winnerwell worked for you? Sorry, just saw above you identified it as Winnerwell. How do you like it? It is more expensive than the SO stoves, but I really like the no nuts and bolts assembly. The folding functionality is great, wish it was made in the US but otherwise I dont see a drawback to the Winnerwell.

Is that a Winnerwell stove? Looks like it. I am very interested in that stove vs the SO stoves. How has the Winnerwell worked for you? Sorry, just saw above you identified it as Winnerwell. How do you like it? It is more expensive than the SO stoves, but I really like the no nuts and bolts assembly. The folding functionality is great, wish it was made in the US but otherwise I dont see a drawback to the Winnerwell.
I bought it just for the ease of assembly and its worked great. Its nice that it can be used as a fire pit as well

nrh6.7

WKR
So much that I can put my helinox chair inside with all my gear and a stove and watch it rain outside.

I don't think they make the Redcliff yet in DCF...

Do you have to be right up on the pole to use the chair?

Redcliff does come in DCF, BTW.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cimarron for two with stove and gear is functional and works...if have any thought of more than2 and stove you need the red cliff . C0A069B8-CB06-4894-89C9-8D024D91DD73.jpeg 444A1FB4-DFB0-4450-9091-08303EB7DB8D.jpegCCADE0CA-93A0-425C-989C-28A76B763DFD.jpeg65A0B4A8-6487-4CF5-9A53-27FC904F065E.jpeg

I just started using a cimarron this spring bear season. Used it on a week long trip with a good amount of nasty weather with me, a friend, and stove.

Oregon Archery elk season just finished up, me and the same friend used the cimarron through out the season on 4 separate backpack trips.

After all the different trips we have tried different configurations of how we slept. This last six day trip we came up with the best way for the two of us and the stove. I have the cimarron with zippers on both sides.
We put the wood stove facing one of the doors and stacked our wood in front of it, it was nice to just open the zipper and place wood there. We both entered and exited through the other door.

This configuration have us tons of room for two people, stove, wood and gear.

I also have a red cliff, but never used it this year. It is pretty tuff to find a spot big enuff in the area I hunt for that larger tent.

Included is a photo of how we ended liking the cimarron set up the best.72A6B047-8903-49FA-B467-43550FBFC094.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffmacdonald77