SO Cimarron or Redcliff???

CO-AJ

WKR
Do you have to be right up on the pole to use the chair?

Redcliff does come in DCF, BTW.
No. I don't have the stove yet, so my info is the Cim without stove, but I can set the chair back and right just a bit off the pole. I have the LBO nest on the left side of the tent. The Helinox is only about 11" off the ground if I remember correctly and I am just under 6'.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
@Ross & @Michael Rankin ..... really appreciate your input and pictures.
I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with a SO rep and she uses a Cimarron 40-50 nights a year with two people and a large dog. During the colder months the stove is part of the equation. She was emphatic that for her there was plenty of room for two and gear with the stove....no need to keep packs or anything outside the Cimarron.
Talking with her and reading these last two posts has me giving much more serious consideration to the Cimarron now. As I continue to overthink things one thought that has cropped up is maybe it would make sense to split the difference between the Cimarron and Redcliff by going with the SO 4 man tipi. Perhaps doing so would gain increased wind stability due to the conical shape of the tipi?
Thoughts from others smarter than me????

I just started using a cimarron this spring bear season. Used it on a week long trip with a good amount of nasty weather with me, a friend, and stove.

Oregon Archery elk season just finished up, me and the same friend used the cimarron through out the season on 4 separate backpack trips.

After all the different trips we have tried different configurations of how we slept. This last six day trip we came up with the best way for the two of us and the stove. I have the cimarron with zippers on both sides.
We put the wood stove facing one of the doors and stacked our wood in front of it, it was nice to just open the zipper and place wood there. We both entered and exited through the other door.

This configuration have us tons of room for two people, stove, wood and gear.

I also have a red cliff, but never used it this year. It is pretty tuff to find a spot big enuff in the area I hunt for that larger tent.

Included is a photo of how we ended liking the cimarron set up the best.View attachment 220086

This is how I imagined the set up would look for 2 and stove, with packs laid out in the front. The issue for us on our 5 day trip was the wind/rain. Where the bags are laying in this picture, the tent walls would have been flapping against us all night, we were all crowding the center as much as we could to keep the condensation off of our bags/face. In sheep country the guy-out situation was lacking.

TonyG86

FNG
I just started using a cimarron this spring bear season. Used it on a week long trip with a good amount of nasty weather with me, a friend, and stove.

Oregon Archery elk season just finished up, me and the same friend used the cimarron through out the season on 4 separate backpack trips.

After all the different trips we have tried different configurations of how we slept. This last six day trip we came up with the best way for the two of us and the stove. I have the cimarron with zippers on both sides.
We put the wood stove facing one of the doors and stacked our wood in front of it, it was nice to just open the zipper and place wood there. We both entered and exited through the other door.

This configuration have us tons of room for two people, stove, wood and gear.

I also have a red cliff, but never used it this year. It is pretty tuff to find a spot big enuff in the area I hunt for that larger tent.

Included is a photo of how we ended liking the cimarron set up the best.View attachment 220086
Nice set up/pic, thanks for sharing

TonyG86

FNG
Keep in mind that the Redcliff is huge and has a large footprint. You can fit two queen mattresses inside and a stove. That's how giant it is. :)

That's a double stack of queen mattress toppers in there. Room for another stack on the other side of the pole.
20201016_174415.jpg

ethan

WKR
Here are a few pics from inside the redcliff. 3 guys with the stove is comfortable and I really think 4 guys with the stove is doable. Two guys with the stove and LOTS of gear is a total non issue. My buddy has a cimmeron and two guys with a stove would be fine I would think, but in my opinion it just comes down to if the weight penalty vs extra room is the deciding factor.

The one of my buddy and his dog is him sitting in a helinox, and there were two other guys and myself hanging out in the tent that night and we still had plenty room, so chairs aren’t an issue.

I have the medium stove and have never had any issues keeping warm. I will say though that once you get into single digits, not having the right wood and having to use just whatever is on hand makes a difference. Not that it isn't plenty warm, but when it 5 degrees out the larger stove would be a bit more comfortable. First world problems! 😁

Attachments

• D23319FD-C8FB-4712-A747-053CF4C2A67D.jpeg
    D23319FD-C8FB-4712-A747-053CF4C2A67D.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 46287228-F8BB-4F93-A680-CA85FA07F907.jpeg
    46287228-F8BB-4F93-A680-CA85FA07F907.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 1B9793C6-C0D1-47FE-8F57-9C8B10503176.jpeg
    1B9793C6-C0D1-47FE-8F57-9C8B10503176.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 115