SO Cimarron -standard, light, or ultralight?

pilgrim7

FNG
I have the Cimarron Light and yes you can run the stove and half liner in it.

-- Scott
[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, I meant a nest rather than a liner.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve been eyeing the DCF version, when I finally buy a floorless shelter, I’m going to go all in and go DCF.

bamagun

FNG
I have the DCF version with a stove jack. To answer your layout question, you can do it either way. Myself and another guy used this last year in wx from 40 at night to around 0 at night (I did use it solo for 4 days when the highs didnt get above 10 during the day) and the parallel to the door seemed to work best with the stove in there. There is enough room to put your packs on the outside of your sleeping pad and tons of room to lay things out in the center and dry boots/clothes. To answer other questions or comments folks have made... The DCF material is more durable than folks give it credit for. I think I have a 7.5ft stove pipe and burned a ton of nasty wood last year (aprox 15-20 nights) and dont have a single hole I can find in the roof. I was pretty rough on it last year and dont have any rips/holes/ect (I would just roll it up and jam it in the bottom of my pack and cram stuff in around it). I also have the LBO/TARP/VESTIBULE and I noticed a significant reduction in condensation with the DCF CIMARRON (it could have just been environmental factors that caused the reduction, but I did notice it). There are more reasons why I would buy the DCF again, but one of the significant is the fact that once you pitch the DCF, you dont have to mess with it again because the DCF doesnt stretch (I guess someone could say thats a con if you fall into the shelter or something, but dont use ft long stakes and that shouldnt be an issue). I listened to the "its not worth it crowd" before I bought that LBO setup and wish I hadnt now that I have that DCF Cimarron. Its worth it in my experience...

Rockchucker, thanks for the write up. Well done. I think this is very helpful in organizing thoughts for decision making.

I do have one question, however. What are the most efficient gear layout configurations for 2 sleeping bags, 2 packs, 1 or 2 rifle/bow and some firewood, relative to the footprint of the tent/door/stove. I realize you touched on this above, but for example where would your packs/rifle go in the light scenario? Next to each hunter towards the ends of the tent? I think it would be helpful to see some diagrams like the one that you have online (I only found one for the cimarron. It's possible I overlooked it?) showing sleeping bag (and packs and firewood and stove) configurations.

Originally I was thinking the 2 door sounded better for 2 hunters, but it sounds like the single door may actually be an advantage in that regard for example. Diagrams (including equipment layout) would definitely help. I am still anxious about seeing all our equipment in the tent without rubbing up on walls and soaking up water overnight also. Just trying to picture it in my head without ever seeing one in person. I'd hate to buy then realize we needed something larger/different configuration.

Thanks for all your help fellas!

CO-AJ

WKR
I am waiting for my DCF Cimarron to ship from SO. I went with DCF for the weight saving as I will use it for solo everything. I went with the Cimarron for the size and shape and I am putting a LBO nest inside rather than the Cimarron 1/2 nest to save even more inches. Lastly, I went with SO because of their reputation for quality and customer service. They are running into some long lead times right now on DCF products and nests due to an influx of orders. Hoping to have my setup near the end of July, but it was ordered in May.

CO-AJ

WKR
I have the DCF version with a stove jack. To answer your layout question, you can do it either way. Myself and another guy used this last year in wx from 40 at night to around 0 at night (I did use it solo for 4 days when the highs didnt get above 10 during the day) and the parallel to the door seemed to work best with the stove in there. There is enough room to put your packs on the outside of your sleeping pad and tons of room to lay things out in the center and dry boots/clothes. To answer other questions or comments folks have made... The DCF material is more durable than folks give it credit for. I think I have a 7.5ft stove pipe and burned a ton of nasty wood last year (aprox 15-20 nights) and dont have a single hole I can find in the roof. I was pretty rough on it last year and dont have any rips/holes/ect (I would just roll it up and jam it in the bottom of my pack and cram stuff in around it). I also have the LBO/TARP/VESTIBULE and I noticed a significant reduction in condensation with the DCF CIMARRON (it could have just been environmental factors that caused the reduction, but I did notice it). There are more reasons why I would buy the DCF again, but one of the significant is the fact that once you pitch the DCF, you dont have to mess with it again because the DCF doesnt stretch (I guess someone could say thats a con if you fall into the shelter or something, but dont use ft long stakes and that shouldnt be an issue). I listened to the "its not worth it crowd" before I bought that LBO setup and wish I hadnt now that I have that DCF Cimarron. Its worth it in my experience...
Great write up. I am waiting on mine to arrive. Same setup as yours DCF Cimarron with LBO nest and CF center pole. I will be purchasing a stove eventually as well. What size stove did you go with?

CO-AJ

WKR
I got the original large with a slightly longer pipe.
Thanks I was thinking the medium just to keep space maximized which is why I also went with the LBO nest. I don't see myself ever just hanging out in the nest, but sitting by the stove during a rainstorm etc... I can easily see.

Has anyone tried any of the 3 SO cimarron during the middle of winter? Looking to do some winter camping this year in the BWCA and was wondering which one might be best for -0 temps or more. Thoughts on how the different fabrics will react to the freezing temps? Also any ideas how the frozen snow packed ground will react to the stove running? Will it become ice packed or slushy, should I use a tarp on the ground to insulate the snow from the heat of the stove? Any thoughts in regards to this would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CO-AJ

WKR
Has anyone tried any of the 3 SO cimarron during the middle of winter? Looking to do some winter camping this year in the BWCA and was wondering which one might be best for -0 temps or more. Thoughts on how the different fabrics will react to the freezing temps? Also any ideas how the frozen snow packed ground will react to the stove running? Will it become ice packed or slushy, should I use a tarp on the ground to insulate the snow from the heat of the stove? Any thoughts in regards to this would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

From my research the Dyneema version will hold up well in the winter as the fabric does not stretch and due to the sloping walls should shed snow loads pretty easily. Plus, if you run a tent inside the fabric will be warmer and I am guessing the snow will basically melt and drip down the outside. I have read the DCF also held up as well or better to the winds, not as good as say a Hille, but then it isnt designed to withstand what the Hille's are.

Lawnboi

WKR

Thanks, Dan

Iv used my double door for what I would consider winter camping. Last season in Montana the highest temp we got was 20*. I did not have a liner. The fabric reacts fine, I’d run a liner only because in the winter your going to have frozen condensation on the walls constantly. Stove on snow is no big deal, some companies make a snow plate to go on the legs, you could enquire about that, or just stack some wood underneath for the legs to sit on.
Personally if I were getting a winter camping setup I’d get something a little bigger, like a redcliff or 8 man, to be able to stand up, and to give more room to relax during those long nights.

Iv wanted to do some bwca winter camping for years but never have gotten around to it. Sounds like a blast.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks, Dan

Not sure where you are in MN but I have a standard 2 door Cimarron in Madison WI if you want to check one out in person. I love it, worked great in Alaska (15* nights) in the fall. Pre-Covid we still went back to MN several times a year for friends, state fair dentist, etc. Happy to bring it along sometime or if you are ever over in Madison...

Bull_Jeep

FNG
So i am moments from pulling the trigger on a SO Cimm UL w/ U-Turn stove for backcountry hunts (idaho late season rifle this year).

Should i be looking at the DCF? is it that much better than the UL?

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
So i am moments from pulling the trigger on a SO Cimm UL w/ U-Turn stove for backcountry hunts (idaho late season rifle this year).

Should i be looking at the DCF? is it that much better than the UL?

Not in my opinion it's not. It's about $534 extra for 17oz weight savings. Some of the weight savings you lose by having to use a longer stove pipe to prevent embers from damaging the DCF. I personally went with just the ultralight cimmaron, and haven't regretted it.

In the end it comes down to how much weight you're willing to carry, and if your budget allows you to spend the extra $500.

-- Scott

gexpro

WKR
I went with the DCF, and to me personally it’s worth the weight vs price. Some might not agree, but it’s all personal preference.
DCF has its pros and cons, just like the standard syl version.

after about 30 nights last year, not a single night with bad or noticeable condensation.

Bull_Jeep

FNG
I went with the DCF, and to me personally it’s worth the weight vs price. Some might not agree, but it’s all personal preference.
DCF has its pros and cons, just like the standard syl version.

after about 30 nights last year, not a single night with bad or noticeable condensation.
does it make that much of a difference on the condensation?

I do and i don't have the money to spend on it haha.. While i have it, i am also trying to keep the wife happy LOL..

I didn't even realize the DCF was an option because i was looking at the Stove/Tent Combo

gexpro

WKR
does it make that much of a difference on the condensation?

I do and i don't have the money to spend on it haha.. While i have it, i am also trying to keep the wife happy LOL..

I didn't even realize the DCF was an option because i was looking at the Stove/Tent Combo
whichever version you choose, likely will have same or similar result in condensation. it is all about where, how, and the time of the year you use this tent. as mentioned above- never had a night or morning that i woke up with the walls saturated. I keep it pitched off the floor about 1 inch or so.

Dyneema -
Lighter then sil nylon
More Waterproof than sil nylon
DCF Does not sag over time requiring re staking or re tensioning like sil nylon

Sil Nylon -
Packs smaller vs DCF
Economical ?
Sil Nylon is Quieter in some instances, DCF tends to be a bit more "crunchy" like wax paper.

As far as durability, i believe both are very durable; but obviously they are not puncture proof; but they'll take a beating.

Bull_Jeep

FNG
whichever version you choose, likely will have same or similar result in condensation. it is all about where, how, and the time of the year you use this tent. as mentioned above- never had a night or morning that i woke up with the walls saturated. I keep it pitched off the floor about 1 inch or so.

Dyneema -
Lighter then sil nylon
More Waterproof than sil nylon
DCF Does not sag over time requiring re staking or re tensioning like sil nylon

Sil Nylon -
Packs smaller vs DCF
Economical ?
Sil Nylon is Quieter in some instances, DCF tends to be a bit more "crunchy" like wax paper.

As far as durability, i believe both are very durable; but obviously they are not puncture proof; but they'll take a beating.
this year will be mid may in Idaho unit 29, and then first week of october. While ive been out west many times, this is the first time venturing into backcountry western game

gexpro

WKR
this year will be mid may in Idaho unit 29, and then first week of october. While ive been out west many times, this is the first time venturing into backcountry western game
you'll be good, having the stove combo you are looking at makes this tent setup so much more versatile.
congrats on your purchase, you wont be disappointed and good luck on you hunt.