SO DST tarp pitches

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody ever run the cimarron half nest with dst?

To reply to myself, I just played with some pitches and it's a little bit of a squeeze to fit the cimarron nest in it. If you dont use a center pole and hang the tarp from that loop then you might could make it work, but then you would need a loop on the underside of the tarp to hang the nest from on the inside.

Mutto

FNG
#tarplife

Well you got me all excited thinking about my DST so I went out and braved the Seattle heat wave to show you the pitches I'm most familiar with. I'll try and explain them as I go.

As I mentioned above. . this is my go to pitch 90% of the time. I can have it up in 120 seconds. It's really versatile on variable terrain. It sheds modest rain and wind well. It provides PLENTY of ventilation. More than enough sitting height. Almost a bit of a porch so running my emberlit stove is not a big deal. Hell I've even used my little titanium SO box stove with the chimney angled away from the door (just for ambiance and to cook).
View attachment 55133

Modified A-Frame. I use this whenever I know it will snow. Note the steeper roof lines. Better for shedding the snow. Probably wasn't necessary. You concede width (obviously) of the floorplan. And you also concede ventilation in the name of shelter.
View attachment 55134

Same A-frame. . but not staked with the corners stretched. I went in 1x stake loop and angled the door in. I've used this once when there was a significant wind shift was expected. I'll be honest. . it was awesome. I was so dry behind that staked flap. But I was also HOT. Very little ventilation.
View attachment 55135

Full Disclosure: I've never used this following pitch with the DST. I'm sure it'd work just as well as other tarps i've used with the same pitch. I also know this: if I'm down to battening down this tight I am no longer enjoying myself. This is no bullsh*t sheltering. If I'm down this tight I'm also likely folding my ground cloth up the side wall of the tarp a little bit on the inside.
View attachment 55136

You mentioned you liked the "Beak". Here you can see the angle of the battened down flaps make at the vertical support at the head of the shelter.
View attachment 55138

Now here's what I do: I always carry 5 stakes and 2x10' 3mm lines. The flying diamond requires 4x anchor points. The modified A-frame: 5 anchors. Secure a single flap: 6 anchors. Both Flaps: 7 anchors. I say again I carry 5 stakes. The night I needed to secure a flap I had to tie off a corner (the reason I carry 2x lengths of line).

The most versatile piece of gear in my pack!

Hope this helps. Anxious to see other pitches!

Well that looks like a great tarp. Might have to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

939ae3633d49e8452f1aef70eb1af34a.jpg

Don’t mind the pose, I’m mocking my daughter. Admire the tarp.
For reference...
21dd787ada3c5e1c26c9679aeb29cc3d.jpg

eb2444883b1c86330e2da6c56760d118.jpg

More tarp...
81821b0fb1f8477a3b393b99a2ad04e4.jpg

Worked great for our CO scouting trip.

rob86jeep

WKR
Reviving an old thread. Just picked up a DST and am pretty excited about the versatility of it. Planning on using if for family trips to the lake/hiking/camping for sun shade and pulling double duty for extra protection while hunting.

mcseal2

WKR
I saw an old question I missed about the LBO bug bivy in my DST I tried. It works somewhat but isn't great. It's hard to get the back tied up in the diamond or plough point configuration I use most. Since most of my bug season outings in it I'm using the river boat to get to a campsite, I bought a USGI bug bivy off Amazon. It's a little bulky and not particularly light. It works well and is easy to set up. I recently saw one from Catoma that's lighter and 7" longer I might upgrade to. The extra length I think would be nice.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’ve been using a borah gear bivy under my DST, mostly for moisture protection in case of a really violent storm. It wouldn’t be great for bug protection though.

rob86jeep

WKR
I saw an old question I missed about the LBO bug bivy in my DST I tried. It works somewhat but isn't great. It's hard to get the back tied up in the diamond or plough point configuration I use most. Since most of my bug season outings in it I'm using the river boat to get to a campsite, I bought a USGI bug bivy off Amazon. It's a little bulky and not particularly light. It works well and is easy to set up. I recently saw one from Catoma that's lighter and 7" longer I might upgrade to. The extra length I think would be nice.
I have a Cimarron half nest that I'm going to try to rig up under the DST but haven't had time yet. It's probably too tall, but I might be able to tie off a bunch of the netting at the top to shorten it up.

HoneyDew

WKR
I have a Cimarron half nest that I'm going to try to rig up under the DST but haven't had time yet. It's probably too tall, but I might be able to tie off a bunch of the netting at the top to shorten it up.
This feedback would be awesome. Would be nice to get a cimarron 1/2 nest knowing it’d work with the DST too (even if it’s not the perfect fit the option is nice).

HoneyDew

WKR
I’ve been using a borah gear bivy under my DST, mostly for moisture protection in case of a really violent storm. It wouldn’t be great for bug protection though.
Why would the borah bivy not be great for bug protection?

Phaseolus

WKR
Why would the borah bivy not be great for bug protection?
I find it difficult to keep the bug mesh up off of my face, it does not have a hoop or other device to give your head some bug space.. I tie it up to the cone in the DST but I am a restless sleeper and move around a fair bit. I really like my Borah bivy but it’s not something I would use in an area with lots of mosquitos.

Edit: *I do not have the Borah Bug Bivy! So I am not commenting about it*

Last edited:

corncob

WKR
First attempt at rigging the two triangular panels..looks a little ungainly, and it is an open seam between the tarp and panels.
Time will tell if is worth the hassle, but the intended purpose is mostly get some cover over the canine, who gets a little anxious in an open tarp. And secondary as a little gear porch.
18fc295d338fe2edfb226586bf8edc6d.jpg
320146f2e957782319a20c4f56206dfe.jpg
3e8f7dea94f7283c64c874100699acfc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I realize you posted this years ago, but in the event that you're still using this and open to suggestions/improvements, you can eliminate the gap between the tarp and "beak" by adding a tiny bit more material to those sides with a tieout corner and a thin line that goes to the back corner stakes. Then it overlaps your main tarp and you don't have to add another stake for weight because you're using the same ones except for the front. I've done that for hammock tarps before and it works fantastic.

RSC12

FNG
I just purchased an OR Helium Bivy (not a fan of ticks). I'm pretty confident I'll be getting the DST to go over top. Any chance anyone has any pics of this tarp setup over a hooped bivy?

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
Resurrecting a great thread!

DST users, what’s your stake system like? I’ve been playing with some MSR mini ground hogs and the webbing loops don’t hold nearly as well as my MSR guy lines.

I was thinking about tying little guy line loops on each of the webbing tie-downs. Is there a more elegant solution out there?

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Are you twisting the loop a half turn? (Put the stake in the loop backwards and then twist it and the loop , then push into the ground) They hold good for me doing that way.
Resurrecting a great thread!

DST users, what’s your stake system like? I’ve been playing with some MSR mini ground hogs and the webbing loops don’t hold nearly as well as my MSR guy lines.

I was thinking about tying little guy line loops on each of the webbing tie-downs. Is there a more elegant solution out there?

EdP

WKR
I love my DST tarp and use it in the diamond configuration over my Kuiu Summit Star. The Summit Star long pole acts as the center prop for the DST. With a rather high front point (about 6') I actually build my campfire UNDER the front point of the tarp. There is quite a bit more room under the tarp when the Summit Star vestibule is opened up. I've got heat, light, and cover for myself, my gear, and firewood, all for about 4lbs.

Attachments

• 20211110_150202.jpg
    20211110_150202.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 20211114_151356.jpg
    20211114_151356.jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 155