SO DST tarp pitches

superA

WKR
DO any of you guys use a bivy sack while using the DST? I'm heading off in a few weeks to do some Colorado trail sections and am using the DST. I'm hesitant to use a bivy because I hate feeling enclosed (why I switched to quilts instead of sleeping bags). I'm half kicking around getting one of the EE synthetic quilts just in case the spray/splash gets excessive..

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be running a Borah Gear bivy with mine, with an Xtherm and EE Revelation APEX stuffed inside.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t run a bivy... and I’ve had it setup in some pretty wet conditions in West Washington. I most often stake the DST directly To the ground and have very, very litle moisture issue. My personal experience with bivvies is not stellar when it comes to condensation control... I’ll take my chances with a solid tarp pitch.

DO any of you guys use a bivy sack while using the DST? I'm heading off in a few weeks to do some Colorado trail sections and am using the DST. I'm hesitant to use a bivy because I hate feeling enclosed (why I switched to quilts instead of sleeping bags). I'm half kicking around getting one of the EE synthetic quilts just in case the spray/splash gets excessive..

sr80

WKR
Went out this weekend with some buddies for some alpine fishing and a little scouting, brought along our DST's, here are some pics.

qXScCMe.jpg

AUnmVhj.jpg

ftUwyXO.jpg

CbDnhOt.jpg

Last edited:

Muttly

WKR

I like the idea of a bivy, light weight, usually looking at the EE. Wee bit claustrophobic, and have condensation concerns..
I have Bear Paw building me one of his modified A frame nests, slopes down and narrows like a mummy bag. Had him add 4 extra loops on the ridgeline, and raise the lower end up to 28". Get a little extra foot room from the original, still be fairly easy to pitch it into the wind. And added 8" sides all around to the bathtub floor. Cause, SE Alaska, a little bit of draft prevention with a quilt, little bit of rain protection if I do pick a crappy spot and weather happens to happen.
Should be around 24-26 ounces for the nest, waaaaay heavier than the bivy. But a little more room and weather protection, at least in theory..

Muttly

WKR
So,got the nest, had a little time to fool around setting it up. 22 ounces, nothing too exotic for a pitch with it yet. Dog seems to like it alright..
a3f0a588b086d3b3fc537f32870c6bc4.jpg
33a9bd3b93e48c44cd2c88520bed6044.jpg
a7dbf49db6bf914ab9a97ec2ea4bb91c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Matt G.

WKR
Just got a DST tarp. Is it better to stuff back into the sack or fold it and put in the sack?

colersu22

WKR
I stuff mine in a medium kifaru ultralight pullout and it compresses way better than the factory one.

Matt G.

WKR
I got a response back from seek outside. For longevity of product, they recommend folding tarps and tents. however it is fine to stuff during trip and fold for storage when get back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
Guess I'll switch methods. I'm not sure it is a huge deal though, my Paratarp still works fine and I've been stuffing it in the sack for close to 10 years. I do make sure it's clean and dry before storing it.

Thanks for asking the experts, learned something new.

superA

WKR
What kind of wind have you guys had the tarp in? What pitches do you recommend for high (above tree line) winds?

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
So,got the nest, had a little time to fool around setting it up. 22 ounces, nothing too exotic for a pitch with it yet. Dog seems to like it alright..
a3f0a588b086d3b3fc537f32870c6bc4.jpg
33a9bd3b93e48c44cd2c88520bed6044.jpg
a7dbf49db6bf914ab9a97ec2ea4bb91c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Who makes this nest? Bearpaw? Looks nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Muttly

WKR
That is a Bear Paw..sloped walled net tent...just had him add the 8" bathtub floor, and kick up the rear height to 28". And added four loops across the top of the ridgeline just in case.