SO Eolus or Silex?

kirmerw

FNG
Anyone have a preference for one person and his bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gexpro

WKR
For a single person with a bow/gear the silex would do just fine.
If you want the flexibility of having another person with you, the Eolus will be the ticket.

How tall are you?

gexpro

WKR
oh you'll be golden in the silex. I recently placed an order for the Silex in DCF for those solo trips as well..
Think you'll be really happy with the Silex regardless Sil or DCF

Phaseolus

WKR
I have the Eolus and like it. If I were to do it over I would buy the Silex because it can be pitched tighter to the ground which could be better in windier situations And it could be a hot tent. Just my opinion.

gexpro

WKR
I was thinking the same thing when I decided to go with the silex for windy situations, where I go is above alpine and can be pretty brutal.

although the stove jack option is not available for the DCF version.

OP
K

kirmerw

FNG
Is the size different that much or just how it’s pitched is the main difference? I have a hot tent but just something that doesn’t feel like a coffin.

gexpro

WKR
Is the size different that much or just how it’s pitched is the main difference? I have a hot tent but just something that doesn’t feel like a coffin.

you can pitch it based on how high you place your trekking poles. In some instructional videos SO has put out, they talk about minimum height and maximum height you can put your trekkers to

Eolus -
Height 50”
62sq ft (outer)

Silex
Height 50”
7’x7’ diamond shaped footprint
49sq ft

Phaseolus

WKR
The vestibules or doors are cut higher on the Eolus, you can‘t pitch them closer to the ground .

OP
K

kirmerw

FNG
The vestibules or doors are cut higher on the Eolus, you can‘t pitch them closer to the ground .

That’s good to know, sound like Silex is the winner for this year anyways.