SO Eolus vs Kuiu Mountain Star

TheViking

WKR
Doing a pack in trip this fall to Montana in September. Going back and fourth between the two tents mentioned above. I’ll be staying in it by myself with gear. I do have previous experience with the Eolus, it’s a nice tent, lots of room. A few cons are the door system - how low it is. Slightly a pain to get in and out. No vent, but it sits high off the ground, so kind of a wash.

Kuiu made some improvements to their tent, looks bomb proof. I like that it’s freestanding. Has a vent and can also unzip the top door for more airflow as well. They’re both relatively the same size, SO gets the she here. SO does weight less per paper specs, but I have a friend with one and his weighs a touch over 3#s versus the stated 2lbs10oz…kind of a big difference. A few kuiu video review’s they weigh them and they’re on par with stated weights. Weight is a factor so originally the SO was getting the nod, but now that their within a few oz’s, I almost like the design of the Kuiu better.

Anyone with real world experience between these two tents?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Those are your only options you are considering? DCF version from SO will save a bit of weight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Your really just weighing floorless vs free standing.
Personally I like floorless. I'm chunky, and not very bendy and don't like taking my boots on and off so I like to drag under the tarp and flop on my bivy and take my boots and stuff off.

I only consider taking a free standing if I'm hunting where it is hard to stake down, lots bugs, or really high winds..

I normally run a floorless shelter for serious trips in the mountains, but also have had a couple Mountainstar’s. I just got the 2022 version and slept in it last night. Its a fantastic tent and feels quite luxurious with all its features compared to a basic Mid. It really is impressive how light it is as well for being a double wall, freestanding tent.

Yaada_205

FNG
I normally run a floorless shelter for serious trips in the mountains, but also have had a couple Mountainstar’s. I just got the 2022 version and slept in it last night. Its a fantastic tent and feels quite luxurious with all its features compared to a basic Mid. It really is impressive how light it is as well for being a double wall, freestanding tent.
Question on setup --- My understanding is the fly and body are connected together. For packing then it becomes one large component....Are both fly and body easy to separate for packing purposes? ie fly in left side pack pocket and body in right pack pocket? How are the two connected? Clips?

Question on setup --- My understanding is the fly and body are connected together. For packing then it becomes one large component....Are both fly and body easy to separate for packing purposes? ie fly in left side pack pocket and body in right pack pocket? How are the two connected? Clips?

Yea you can certainly do that. Some people will do this with Hilleberg tents that have a solid fabric inner to keep the inner dry if the fly is wet. The Mountainstar is a very compact for a double wall tent, so is still very packable when both are connected. Also, It’s mesh inner doesn’t hold water like a solid fabric, so I’ve never felt the need to remove from the outer while in the field. The only time that I do is at home when I am drying it out. The inner is connected by tiny side release buckles. They can be a pain if your fingers are cold. The new 2022 version, which I also just bought, has buckles that are easier to operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yaada_205

FNG
Yea you can certainly do that. Some people will do this with Hilleberg tents that have a solid fabric inner to keep the inner dry if the fly is wet. The Mountainstar is a very compact for a double wall tent, so is still very packable when both are connected. Also, It’s mesh inner doesn’t hold water like a solid fabric, so I’ve never felt the need to remove from the outer while in the field. The only time that I do is at home when I am drying it out. The inner is connected by tiny side release buckles. They can be a pain if your fingers are cold. The new 2022 version, which I also just bought, has buckles that are easier to operate.

Thank you for this insight!

I am torn on which to purchase, between the Mountain Star for its easy setup since the body and fly are connected... to other tents like the Eolus or Hubba Hubba.

Thank you for this insight!

I am torn on which to purchase, between the Mountain Star for its easy setup since the body and fly are connected... to other tents like the Eolus or Hubba Hubba.

The Eolus is definitely light and DCF Cuben is sexy. I would choose the Mountainstar over any other Silnylon or PU tent, ie. MSR etc.