So here I sit

dotman

WKR
On my deck having a drink listening to gobble gobble and realize why the hell have i never given hunting these chickens a second thought, April 1st here i come!

Ziggy

FNG
Go get em! I've never gotten around to hunting them. See turkeys quite often where I deer hunt though so I'm not sure why I haven't tried.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Haha i know and i don't even have to leave my yard to hunt them.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
dotman, if you are anything like me and Evan you will be hooked on hunting them when you have one within feet of you at full strut going crazy with all the various body language and sounds they make! It is a rush!

Yea Dotman, turkey hunting is one of my most favorite critters to hunt. Something about springtime. Green warm weather and gobbles. Doesn't get any better!

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Season opens up on Sunday so if i get a chance i'll let you know how it turns out. What is a good call to use that Cabelas will probably stock?

I heard a GOBBLE today and I got goosebumps all over my ENTIRE BODY!!! I wish I had had my owl call on me to get him to shock gobble. Its one of the best sounds!!!

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Yeah my neighbor told me i need to pick up a crow/owl call. I'm getting pretty excited about this. Picked the combo so two tags are in my pocket. Which part of KS are you going to be in? I have a few acres on the wyandotte/johnson county line, close to the ks river.

I grew up west in Hays so i will be hunting out there. I am already seeing the birds break up!!! Lots of single and pairs of 2 year olds cruising!

weaver

WKR
Just got done shooting the benelli. Hevi shot is patterning great...Cmon April 23rd...

ElkNut1

WKR
dotman, no need for a crow call, use an elk reed to locate, that's all I do here in Idaho. I only use a high scream/shrill type pitch, it carries a long ways & unlike an owl it's not a predator sound but they'll shock gobble it like crazy! Good Luck!

ElkNut1

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
dotman, no need for a crow call, use an elk reed to locate, that's all I do here in Idaho. I only use a high scream/shrill type pitch, it carries a long ways & unlike an owl it's not a predator sound but they'll shock gobble it like crazy! Good Luck!

ElkNut1

And it leaves the Thunder Chickens wondering, "What in the sam hell was that!?"
I have used the same and it works but prefer a crow call.

ElkNut1

WKR
Jared, critters cannot reason like humans???? The last thing a Turkey would think is "what is that" (grin)

ElkNut1