So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

ChrisAU

WKR
I’ve been wanting the perfect rifle for Eastern close quarters hunting. For diving down into the swamp of the property I hunt, and for tracking deer, for myself and friends.

Criteria were light, short, and hard hitting, as well as not to pretty to worry about roughing up.

Enter a Kimber Hunter in 243 Winchester.

FE8B136F-93AA-4170-8BC5-D87E2807CCC0.jpeg

Light, check. Short? Ehh sorta. Packs a punch? lol no. Ugly? Yep.

Let’s see how much weight we can lose in 15 minutes. Here’s the stock with mag removed.

A0293402-1202-494C-B959-08E4B373251F.jpeg

Let’s pull the gel out of the stock and grip, and trim a bit of useless rubber out of the butt pad.

EFD56F71-E98A-48EE-8CA8-C9C80A17E6E4.jpeg

So about the 243 vs packing a punch...tomorrow the barreled action is taking a trip to Oregon to be rebored to 358 Win. That should take care of that. Short? Also getting trimmed to 16.5”.

Took some inspiration from @luke moffat and @BigWoods here, for disclaimer. Kinda combining their previous projects to make my own.

Further future weight loss projects include shortening the fore-end and relocating the front sling stud, I’m thinking 3 1/8” after some initial measurements.

Optics will be Talley LW Lows (2 oz on the dot) and a Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20 (6.5 oz).

I also plan on painting the stock using some stone effect paint.

And I almost forgot, a titanium bolt handle and action screws.

Stay tuned!

Sled

WKR
mock up before you buy the low rings. i usually need the low rings due to my cheek bones but they require me to really shove the face hard into the stock with the kimber, which isn't the best for repeatability. also, the lows make cycling the bolt a little more difficult on my rifle.

BigWoods

WKR
I’ve been wanting the perfect rifle for Eastern close quarters hunting. For diving down into the swamp of the property I hunt, and for tracking deer, for myself and friends.

Criteria were light, short, and hard hitting, as well as not to pretty to worry about roughing up.

Enter a Kimber Hunter in 243 Winchester.

View attachment 249532

Light, check. Short? Ehh sorta. Packs a punch? lol no. Ugly? Yep.

Let’s see how much weight we can lose in 15 minutes. Here’s the stock with mag removed.

View attachment 249533

Let’s pull the gel out of the stock and grip, and trim a bit of useless rubber out of the butt pad.

View attachment 249534

So about the 243 vs packing a punch...tomorrow the barreled action is taking a trip to Oregon to be rebored to 358 Win. That should take care of that. Short? Also getting trimmed to 16.5”.

Took some inspiration from @luke moffat and @BigWoods here, for disclaimer. Kinda combining their previous projects to make my own.

Further future weight loss projects include shortening the fore-end and relocating the front sling stud, I’m thinking 3 1/8” after some initial measurements.

Optics will be Talley LW Lows (2 oz on the dot) and a Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20 (6.5 oz).

I also plan on painting the stock using some stone effect paint.

And I almost forgot, a titanium bolt handle and action screws.

Stay tuned!
Staying tuned! Glad to see that thread has been helpful to so many building up an affordable featherweight.

I have some forthcoming tweaks to mine that I'll post on once I can make it to the smith. Rifle will be right at 5lbs carried weight for the snowy northeast days.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Barreled action is on the was to JES, supposed to get there Monday. Decided to do fore end surgery tonight. Pre surgery:

BFE03631-412B-4C63-A9FB-24091863E39B.jpeg

Post surgery, pre-sanding:

2148D9A7-F8D2-482F-B4C3-FDB9DA85A500.jpeg

Apologize for side way pics btw...

Didn’t lose a ton of weight, probably net another 0.05oz after sanding later I’d guess. But, it will make it look a little less crazy with the 16.5” barrel ha.

hodgeman

WKR
I got to mess around with member "stvnshnn"'s Kimber Hunter in 7-08. He trimmed the barrel barrel and pulled the rubber out of the stock and it hit 5 pounds on the nose. With a VX2- 3-9x40 in Talley lightweights it was under 6. Very nice for the price.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Goal is less than 5.25 lbs scoped, with sling, and 3 rounds of ammo, and under $1500 for everything that would be sitting on that scale. We'll see if it can get there.

Sled

WKR
Goal is less than 5.25 lbs scoped, with sling, and 3 rounds of ammo, and under $1500 for everything that would be sitting on that scale. We'll see if it can get there.

That sounds attainable. Just make sure you'll like the using the gun after your done. The caliber is mild recoil but will the gun still fit you? Mine feels like a toy but I use it for specific purposes. The kids like it though.

16.5” barrel
Ti bolt handle (0.9oz saved)
18.65oz stock

I got a MPI stock a hair heavier than that on a 6.5 Adirondack w a 3-10x42 Z3 to 5.44lbs
You should have no problem with that lighter scope to potentially get it under 5lbs scoped the way I see it.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Paint is done.

A8792D22-CCFF-4474-B3E2-D2DDBAC1DBB3.jpeg

I also want this rifle to be full featured. I cut the rear sling stud in half, it has plenty of threads. Then instead of a stud up front I put on a Spartan adapter to use with my bipods and Davros head should I want. I like the Davros on a tripod sitting on the ground. I can be hands free on the rifle yet have it ready without excess movement that can alert a deer. The Spartan adapter is only 0.4 oz heavier than a stud.

I also wanted a sling. I made my own with 1” light nylon web, swivels, and a couple ladder locks. The sling weighs 1.9 oz total and is functional.

5F5B4063-A89C-4F82-9924-997EDD05709F.jpeg

robtattoo

WKR
I also wanted a sling. I made my own with 1” light nylon web, swivels, and a couple ladder locks. The sling weighs 1.9 oz total and is functional.

Quick tip...... smear some bathroom sealant on the inside of the sling. It'll only add a couple of grams & it'll stop it slipping on your shoulder. All my rifles wear home made webbing slings & without the silicone backing it'll drive you insane, trying to slip upside down.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Quick tip...... smear some bathroom sealant on the inside of the sling. It'll only add a couple of grams & it'll stop it slipping on your shoulder. All my rifles wear home made webbing slings & without the silicone backing it'll drive you insane, trying to slip upside down.
Nice, thanks!

You can also try the flipflop recoil pad. Saves about 2 ounces. The hunter stock pad weighed 2.8 ounces (with screws) and my flipflop recoil pad weighs .53oz and you don't need screws for the install. The flipflop recoil pad doesn't feel very good from the bench but I haven't noticed while hunting. My hunter is stock with a vx-freedom 4-12 and weighs 5#13oz with only the recoil pad and goo from the stock removed.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
You can also try the flipflop recoil pad. Saves about 2 ounces. The hunter stock pad weighed 2.8 ounces (with screws) and my flipflop recoil pad weighs .53oz and you don't need screws for the install. The flipflop recoil pad doesn't feel very good from the bench but I haven't noticed while hunting. My hunter is stock with a vx-freedom 4-12 and weighs 5#13oz with only the recoil pad and goo from the stock removed.

I have thought about that, but for now I think I’ll see how pleasant the recoil is with a 5 # 358 Win ha. I did remove some material from within the stock pad.

prm

WKR
That will be pretty snappy! At the ranges you’re looking at you’d be better served with somewhat mild loads.

And where are you getting your titanium action screws? The rear one is pretty funky but maybe it is like that so it easy to tighten and you can just use two the same length as the front screw?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
And where are you getting your titanium action screws? The rear one is pretty funky but maybe it is like that so it easy to tighten and you can just use two the same length as the front screw?

It’s not going great but not poorly either. I can’t find a front one that looks like it’d fit flush, but that one is super light anyway. I got a titanium one from ti64.com for the rear screw. Though, it may be a hair short. I got a 7/8” long one, may have to try a 1”. Forgive dirty scale lol.

41DBAF73-C1B1-49DB-AB33-D2BD175255A1.jpeg218D4FAA-E493-41F6-A961-84B6E12A0385.jpeg