So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nicely done Sir! Good work on the paint job too :)

I followed @BigWoods thread pretty carefully and was able to get my .308 Hunter under 6 lbs (w/ Talley's and a VX-R 2-7x33).

I lost the front cap, should have glued it better. I called Kimber to see if I could get a replacement- after several disappointing emails and telephone calls, I gave up. Said they could sell me a new stock though- yeah bet you could.

TomJoad

WKR
Soooo..... how’s it shoot?
Seriously, great job on this build. Now time to punch some paper!

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Soooo..... how’s it shoot?
Seriously, great job on this build. Now time to punch some paper!

Will find out this weekend. If it can hold 2 MOA I’ll be tickled for its intended use. It will likely never see a shot over 60 yards.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Well well well

Had a package from JES today.

Threw the action into the stock at lunch, will put it all together tonight.

This is with a homemade sling, Spartan bipod/tripod adapter, shortened rear sling stud, titanium rear action screw, gel removed from stock and grip, fore-end shortened 3-1/8" and the remolded using JB plastic weld, granite paint, 16.5" barrel, TI Ascent bolt handle, Loopy 2.5x20 with Alumina obj cap in Talleys, and a mag full of 200gr Winchester soft points.

And yes my pool table/hunting season work bench is filthy.

bVPwFqN.jpg

NcfIaW7.jpg

3z2mQyn.jpg

Think I'll sew the straps on the sling so I can ditch the ladder locks.

Quick question, but if you pull your bolt out and look into the extractor cut out is there a “B” or a “C” stamped in there?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Quick question, but if you pull your bolt out and look into the extractor cut out is there a “B” or a “C” stamped in there?

I have not looked to see if I have Bergara or Criterion barrel yet, mostly because I knew I wouldn’t have either for long ha. I’ll take a look today.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
how difficult was it to paint the stock? I have a stock I'd like to paint with some flecks thrown in, but don't want to muck it up :)

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
how difficult was it to paint the stock? I have a stock I'd like to paint with some flecks thrown in, but don't want to muck it up :)

Not hard at all. Just pick a base color. Mine is matte hunter green. Then practice on something with the stone effect paint, it only takes a couple of passes to get to what mine looks like.

BigWoods

WKR
Couple tips:

Use a bent wire hanger through one of the bolt holes to hang it from the ceiling and have full access.
Carefully tape off everything you don't want paint in. On mine, I taped off the trigger guard after the base layer to set it off from the stone textured area.
Make lots of light coats with a quick knock down with fine grit sandpaper between them.
Build up the clear coat slowly with thin coats to make it all more durable.

You can tell where I carry my rifle, but that's after 3 seasons of use with the rifle being in hand the whole day when I'm out and using it to push through snowing branches.
20210111_130806.jpg

Last edited:
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Here is shots 3-5 after a rough sight in. Kinda tough to shoot groups with a 2.5x fixed scope ha. Wanted to shoot some more but rain set in. Tickled with it, it really doesn’t kick that bad. I even accidentally shot once without my hearing pro in, and I lived to talk about it 😂 Moved it down and right a bit and called it good for the excessive ranges it will see. Hunting with it tomorrow where longest shot will be about 40 yards.

CFA2141F-4882-4465-ABC0-C54B3B231901.jpeg