So, how was South Dakota.....

Bobbyboe

WKR
With the new rules in place this fall for NR archery hunters, how was the hunt? To the residents, was there a noticeable difference in pressure and deer sightings? To the NR, what did you think of the later opening date? Did it affect your hunt? How about hunting pressure?

Any word on the sales numbers of NR tags?

It’ll be interesting over the next few years to see if NR hunters jump ship from the unlimited archery hunt with the later start date.

Fatcamp

WKR
Same. Resident.

Never saw another deer hunter in either archery or rifle once off the road. I didn't hunt any of the opening weekends, resident or non. Archery and rifle were different areas. Archery once in September, once in October. Rifle over Thanksgiving weekend.

In my opinion it was a great year for antler growth. Wish I was a better mule deer hunter. Or had more time. But mostly a better hunter.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
If anything I saw more hunting pressure....certainly didn’t help.

blb078

WKR
If anything I saw more hunting pressure....certainly didn’t help.
What month you hunt and what area?

NR, didn't see any difference. Last year saw hardly anyone this year didn't see very many people. In 7 days I hunted 3 areas. BH, SW, NW parts of the state and the amount of people I saw I can count on one hand. I went the week before rifle opener. Going back again next week actually.

I think all this about pressure during archery season was just some made up BS by a small group of people. If you're seeing a lot of pressure during archer season then you're not in the right spots.

Reactions: WCB

KurtR

WKR
The snow is loud and crunchy sucks bad for spot and stalk got the late season muzzle loader tag and watched a 180 Muley bounce out of my life at 200

Fatcamp

WKR
The snow is loud and crunchy sucks bad for spot and stalk got the late season muzzle loader tag and watched a 180 Muley bounce out of my life at 200

That sucks. When we left it was still squeaky but had yet to get warm enough to thaw.

How many points did it take? We are crossing our fingers we draw next year with 3.

KurtR

WKR
That sucks. When we left it was still squeaky but had yet to get warm enough to thaw.

How many points did it take? We are crossing our fingers we draw next year with 3.

5 but it’s hard to tell what it will take with the new draw system. Ya I found them had to go back out a mile then around then back in two miles by the end of that day post holing in knee deep snow I was shot. Nice thing is I know where they are just getting to them is the challenge

Fatcamp

WKR
Snowshoes or cc skis maybe?

As to the thread, I think the problem was that everybody and their brother talked about Harding County and Slim Buttes which caused a huge influx of people. I've said it before on here, there are massive amounts of public land in South Dakota. Find some. Hunt. But if you post about specific locations you are just adding to the problem. We still have an amazing opportunity for archery mule deer hunting regardless of the outrage.

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed more hunting pressure during rifle season, And I don’t hunt weekends, for that reason. I know that Harding County and Slim Buttes are always busy and I avoid that area anyway. It was a good year for antlers, I saw the biggest whitetail of my life in the black hills this year but I had already filled my tag on a smaller buck. I guess that’s how it goes...

shockin

FNG
NR .
We went to Harding county For archery, our 6th year, Oct. 18-26th with 3 Guys, Snow storm hit 20th with 6 ", A large part of The Nat. Forest had been logged so that caught us off guard, saw 5 times more hunters than previous years so we hunted where others weren't, most of them packed-up and left just before the snow.
Lions made deer a little skittish I think also, their tracks all over in the snow most everywhere we went, Most likely won't return because of the change in application dates conflicting with other states, Too bad, I love the country!

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
In the Slim Buttes I saw more residents then before, I am guessing they hear "limited entry" and think they got something special when they draw the access permit. I think this may honestly equal more days afield for hunters in the area because residents can hunt it much more frequently. Last year of school here, sad to leave and lose the privileges SD has given me. I find my best deer hunting to either be really early, or just right before the rut. So being a NR I will certainly come back around mid-october to get after some deer.

bae350

FNG
NR. Hunted around the badlands the opening week of archery season. All large parcels of public were full of hunters. The harder to get to smaller areas is where we found deer and didn’t find people. Might have always been that way opening week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
NR. Hunted around the badlands the opening week of archery season. All large parcels of public were full of hunters. The harder to get to smaller areas is where we found deer and didn’t find people. Might have always been that way opening week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So that would have been the first week of october

Resident. I archery hunted early Sept in Harding and didn't see a person the whole week but I went pretty far in and off the grid. I also hunted the couple days before the rifle opener and during rifle. No one around until the afternoon before rifle opened then there were people everywhere.