So I discovered Fly Fishing.......

4rcgoat

WKR
Welcome to the world of fly fishing.........ill see you somewhere WAY down the rabbit hole!! Watch your step,you may never come back. The tug is the drug.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Can you recommend a good rod for a beginner ?

What would you like to fish for? What kind of water? And what sort of price point?

Beginner can mean a bunch of things, easy to cast, versatile, cheap, etc.

If you're not looking to break the bank and just dabble, rods by Redington and Echo are good value. A smaller company called Moonshine Rods seems to make a decent rods (they buy blanks and finish them) and have good reviews. Orvis has some good starter kits, Cabelas has decent starter kits, not sure who makes their rods. Often a rod/reel/line kit is a great starting point for value.

I started to hang out with some other guys who fly fished, saying I'd never tie flies or 'match the hatch' just throw some classic flies and see what happens. 14 years later, I have bins of fly tying crap, rods and reels everywhere, and a throat pump...:rolleyes:

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
I am a newbie and I want to find out some tips for fishing, I bough a rod some days ago and I want to start to practice fishing, any suggestions?

Take a look at some quality casting instruction on YouTube. Joan Wulff or Mel Krieger. Join a local club or find a flyshop that offers casting lessons. It's not hard to learn but some instruction will shorten the curve. Most of all "time on the water".

Whatever you do. Get on the water and enjoy !

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
If you start tying flies the Charlie’s Fly Box website is a great resource for how to and for some good patterns.

Fitzwho

WKR
My next trip is Kiritimati (Christmas Island) for bonefish and Giant Trevally in April. Did get around to catching some trout (rainbows, browns and brookies) in Colorado back in September. Otherwise I haven't got my rods out. Going to go get some casting instruction at Trout Fest in New Braunfels at the end of February to work some of the rust out of my double haul.

Been tying and buying flies getting myself setup, as well as extra lines, backup rods and reels, new wading boots, etc. Taking 6-7 fly rods (2 - 7wt, 3 - 9wt, 2 - 12wt), 1 reel with spare spool for each of those and 2 backup reels. Currently don't have a backup reel for the 12wts, which is probably the only one I might actually need. Have 2-3 fly lines for each weight, lots of leaders, spools of fluorocarbon leader from 15lb to 100lb. Big baits for trolling for wahoo and tuna offshore. Basically taking all gear and like 3 days of clothes for a 10 day trip.

11boo

WKR
I miss wintering in Florida, a little. Used to fly fish Tampa bay in a kayak. Summer will be here soon, lol.

B6460375-3E31-4D95-A321-6D4580C3D8D4.jpeg

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
We just started here this past summer, after years in the Adirondacks of NY, bouncing around New England and even living in Idaho, we didn't start until we moved to Arizona and boy do we (the gf and I) wish we started decades ago! There is a wicked learning curve to start off, but it's a riot. I get a kick out of the Mad River Outfitter folks on Youtube, and The New Fly Fisher has some cool videos too. Oh and check out Montana Wild! They'll make you want to grab a rod and hit the river in January (not as big a deal here in AZ compared to MT!)

https://www.youtube.com/user/powerrangers89 - Mad River Outfitters

https://www.youtube.com/user/thenewflyfishertv - The New Fly Fisher

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCsL8Mssls4mbaJJrZUb5MQ - Montana Wild

I am a newbie and I want to find out some tips for fishing, I bough a rod some days ago and I want to start to practice fishing, any suggestions?
String up your rod, tie a little bit of fluff on the end of your leader, and get out in your yard and practice roll casting. Getting the fly to the fish is %90 of the battle. Once you've got the roll cast down you can move to more complex techniques, but getting a basic roll cast down will serve you more than about any other cast.

Best money you can spend is for casting instruction from an expert. A couple casting lessons with practice in between will have you casting better than most fly anglers who have been doing it their entire lives with no formal education.

Many Orvis shops provide free fly fishing classes that really give our great education. There is no other company in the industry that dedicates itself to education and expanding the sport like they do.

Orvis has a free online course as well to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

never had a bad day on the river and the further the walk in the better (assuming my wife gives me a pass)

Also.. spend as much time as you can learning to "read" water.. when I started from scratch in my 20's pre internet so learned from books / magazines, but I'm sure there are some great instructions videos out there.. it's not about the number of casts its about making the right one.. even if you know how to cast I watch a lot of guys rush out and start swinging the line before really trying to understand the seems, runs and lining up the first cast where the water is telling you it should go.

ozyclint

WKR
i got into fly fishing a few years ago and i am hooked. for me and the fishing i do, the single biggest 'epiphany' was the discovery of single hand spey casting and skagit. this technique of casting opened up so many opportunities for me. it allows casting with NO back cast room. that opens up alot of water that was previously unfishable with a fly rod.

bat-cave

WKR
I'm not much ahead and you as my daughter and I picked up fly fishing 2 years ago. Highly addictive and fun. We ended up doing the free casting / 101 class with Orvis and were very pleased. You also get some coupons that make getting an entry-level rod/reel/net etc ... a bit more cost-effective. I was expecting a more elitist attitude and was pleasantly surprised that they have been super welcoming and helpful.

I do agree that spending some time on the water with someone that knows the game well is worth its weight in gold. The case in point with me is that on my own, I've managed to lose ~80% of the fish I hooked before I could get them to the net. We made a trip down to NZ over the holidays and got to fish for a day on a guided trip. Both my daughter and I hooked our first couple of fish and managed to lose them before getting them to the net. I asked the guide about it and he gave us a great tutorial and basically we were doing more wrong than right! We both managed to land some amazing fish shortly thereafter - priceless learning!

My daughter did land the biggest of the day ... not that it broke my heart to see! (She also got her first Deer with her bow this past season!)

Attachments

• IMG_1697.JPG
    IMG_1697.JPG
    460.7 KB · Views: 36

TaylerW

FNG
A Sacramento based fly shop, "Bill Kienes" has about the best forum on the web. Great classifieds that are pretty active as well as categorized sub forums. People answer questions. I've been on it for around 15 years.

Matthew57

FNG
I know this is a few years old but I live in the same area and also caught the fly fishing bug 😂

Yoder

WKR
I just started last year. I haven't even used a dry fly, only nymphs. I have never caught more trout in my entire life.