So I discovered Fly Fishing.......

The tie flying thing does not even interest me at this point......hell I struggle with normal fishing notes. I have 10 fat thumbs.......
If you've got a kid that's interested in going, I'd reconsider that stance. It's bad enough keeping myself supplied but with my wife gaining interest the dollars are adding up, if my girls get into it I'll have to tie my own. A lot of very productive patterns don't take much finesse to tie

My most used nymphs (right hand side) could easily be described as bug looking stuff put on a hook. My most productive dry flies (left hand side) can be made out of craft store foam, short of the Stimulator and Humpy (2nd and 3rd from the bottom). Unless you're dealing with some highly educated fish, the presentation is is far more important then the flie looking like a specific bug. Ugly flies you tie yourself can be just as effective as the pretty ones you buy, but not quite as painful as when you lose 10+ on a trip with someone learning to cast.
5984e1be5db7020d5f9e64cc9fb03594.jpg

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

It just doesn’t hold a candle to what it was there’s still a couple few guys keeping it going and what not but it’s had it’s heyday. The photo bucket crisis didn’t help. One of the moderators went nuts- it was a wild wild ride as far as the Internet goes. That’s fo sho

Rookie

FNG
I love me some fly fishing too. I can’t stand the elite attitude of some fly fishermen though, just enjoy what it is and have fun.

If you've got a kid that's interested in going, I'd reconsider that stance. It's bad enough keeping myself supplied but with my wife gaining interest the dollars are adding up, if my girls get into it I'll have to tie my own. A lot of very productive patterns don't take much finesse to tie

My most used nymphs (right hand side) could easily be described as bug looking stuff put on a hook. My most productive dry flies (left hand side) can be made out of craft store foam, short of the Stimulator and Humpy (2nd and 3rd from the bottom). Unless you're dealing with some highly educated fish, the presentation is is far more important then the flie looking like a specific bug. Ugly flies you tie yourself can be just as effective as the pretty ones you buy, but not quite as painful as when you lose 10+ on a trip with someone learning to cast.

The one fly I would add to your nymph list is the San Juan Worm. It works 12 months out of the year, on both tailwaters and freestones.

Check out washingtonflyfishing.com. It's pretty good sized forum and there are a lot of people from the eastern WA, ID area. Welcome to a fun sport.

x2 for washingtonflyfishing.com. Lots of guys on there spend plenty of time fishing north Idaho and into Montana, so you can get good regional advice

Moved to northern Idaho 2.5 years ago. Moved from North Dakota.

Never been much of a fisherman. We did not have many good lakes around and never really caught the bug for it.

Got a chance to go on a guided float on the St Joe with some buddies. I borrowed a rod from a coworker and picked up a general selection of flies. Had an amazing time, even though the fishing was pretty slow. Learned a ton, our guide had 25+ years of experience and was super patient with three totally green fisherman. Caught my first Cutthroat that day!!

3611-L.jpg

4027-X3.jpg

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, my wife surprised me for our 25th wedding anniversary. She bought me a complete set up.....rod/ reel, waders, boots and a net. Nothing special for gear....but a great way for me to see if this is something I want to do regularly. After a couple days of exploring the Coeur D Alene River area and fishing, I can say I am severely addicted.

20190823_153804-X3.jpg

20190823_175408-X3.jpg

Any advice on a forum like Rokslide, but geared towards fly fishing?

Welcome to another addicting sport! There is always something to learn, which keeps it interesting. Find good mentors who are experienced, get out with them as much as you can, be observant and ask tons of questions.

So much changes throughout the year as far as water levels, bug hatches, etc. I would take this website below and add it to your favorites. Check it every couple of days for updates. You will learn a ton about your local rivers and how to fish them. Stop by the shop occasionally and buy some gear to say thanks for what you've learned from their reports.

North 40 fly shop in CDA is another good place for flies and advice. Tyler really knows his stuff.

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
I know it sounds bad right now with a hurricane bearing down on us in Florida, but get yourself to the saltwater for some snook, redfish, tarpon etc on a fly rod. Tarpon on the fly rod is the fishing world equivalent to archery elk hunting!

If you can't catch them on one of those, then they ain't biting. Nice selection.

I was fascinated by fly fishing from an early age, and taught myself at about 14 or so. Started on bluegills and rock bass and eventually figured out trout and largemouth, but I rarely fly fish outside of the mountain streams and lakes. I managed to teach one of my three children - the one with enough patience to learn and enough interest in catching fish that it seemed worth the effort to her. She really enjoys it but only when it's "working" LOL

I've demonstrated to several folks over the years how many more fish you can catch on flies than on hard tackle, if you know what you're doing. I don't know what I'm doing nearly as much as so many fly fishermen I know, but it's good to have that trick up your sleeve when you need it.

And is there really anything else better than watching a fish in gin-clear water come up to take your dry fly? If there is, I haven't found it yet.

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
Don't limit yourself to trout fishing. My early days of fly fishing were all centered around trout but since then I try to catch every species I can. I still use conventional gear when fly fishing isn't practical but when the fish are shallow enough I am usually using the fly rod. Pike, muskies, bass, and my new favorite species to target is carp. You can still find them shallow in 95 degree weather.

netman

WKR
I just got off a stream in Colorado from fly fishing. It’s a lovely little stream that has big and lots of small trout. My friend from the Midwest owns the ranch and it has about four miles of fishable trout stream on it.
I clobbered the trout a few days ago and caught several today.
I really love trout fishing and feel really blessed to be allowed to fish this private section. I fly fished several rivers and streams in Montana this past summer and still have a smile on my face from the trout I caught.
When I get to thinking about it I have been fly fishing my whole life. I have fly fished salt and fresh water and caught everything from crappie to big redfish.
I don’t have anything fancy either. A Scientific Angler two piece 6 weight rod and their #58 reel.
I bought a combo out of cabelas about 25 years ago to replace a combo my grandpa gave me when I was kid.

Attachments

• 8EC3452D-F495-4D99-BBD8-5E1737FA8634.jpeg
    8EC3452D-F495-4D99-BBD8-5E1737FA8634.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 74DA63E7-B523-473A-AD08-125FBD0A6611.jpeg
    74DA63E7-B523-473A-AD08-125FBD0A6611.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 11
  • F7ED05D7-4186-454A-AACF-C9C485EBF9A4.jpeg
    F7ED05D7-4186-454A-AACF-C9C485EBF9A4.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 11
  • F34657D8-2F6D-4AC9-BB32-D54EC70F6D03.jpeg
    F34657D8-2F6D-4AC9-BB32-D54EC70F6D03.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 11
Not sure if this is advice or just general observations:

%90 of trout can be caught using maybe 10 different fly patterns. For a day of fishing in the mountains you really don't need a fly box any larger than the size of your wallet.

The most versatile fly you'll ever cast is a black wolly bugger.

When you buy nymphs, try to buy ones tied on a jig hook, they snag less.

Don't go into the weeds with "serious" fly fishers about what is and isn't fly fishing. Enjoying time on the water is what it's about.

Spending a ton of money on rods and reels doesn't mean you'll see a big difference from cheaper options. Personally I view an expensive reel on a trout rod as more of a status symbol than anything else.

When you go to pick out flies, bug LIKE flies get more hits than bug SPECIFIC flies.
Exception being on highly pressured water where fish will see 100's of flies through out the year, you'll need to match the hatch in those situations.

Have fun. It's relaxing and you're in some beautiful country, enjoy it.
Good advice, in saltwater that 90% fly is the Clouser minnow. Easy to tie and cheap. If your going to get spendy ,spend on your rods. Buy quality but you don't really need a $600 reel. The best thing I ever did was take a class before I ever made my first cast. Learning the basic dynamics of how the fly gets delivered to your target via your line and leader really helped. I never developed bad habits or form. Well, at least not too bad ones.
I went to one local flyfishing club event. It wasn't for me. Too many fuds.