So I guess I’m that guy...first elk hunt DIY with 6wks notice.

Sobrbiker

WKR
I’ve been hunting Coues deer a few years here in AZ after “retiring“ from precision rifle shooting. Last year I picked up a bow, and have been obsessively hooked on solo OTC hunting and got my first archery kill on my first truly solo backpack hunt (not too deep-I’m in my 50’s and mediocre shape ie “construction fit”).
All that said, I’ve been putting in for elk to build bonus points but haven’t been scouting or anything. I put in for an area that is pretty popular, but not trophy-and the late (fourth week of November) archery bull hunt, which has only 30 tags.
My point building plan was working fine, as I didn’t get drawn...but today AZGFD called and I was next in line for a surrendered tag!
I’m thoroughly excited, but hardly prepared-been too busy obsessing on deer and haven’t scouted the elk unit at all and now I’ve got an awesome opportunity six weeks away!

My plan is to go, most likely solo, don’t hunt too far, as the weather may allow 4-5 trip pack out and I’m in about “tiny Coues deer shape, hardly “elk shape”. I know I may be burning bonus points for experience, but I’ll have better odds than sitting on the couch-just kind of in shock as I wasn’t planning doing the wapiti this year. Too broke for professional help, but mainly ok on gear and “give em hell” attitude.

Any advice is appreciated..,

Marble

WKR
Hunt from the truck until you find elk thick enough to go out in a camp.

Be realistic about what you can handle.

If at any pint you ask yourself if you should be doing this, stop! This is reference to a safety item.

For killing elk, never hesitate to go into the next drainage and kill one. 6 weeks from now the quarters should last all winter in the mountains. Well almost all winter.

Don't quit early.

Take naps.

Bring enough food water to last until the following day.

Don't cut yourself shirt an time. Take as much vacation as you can.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
What unit? Some of the units/hunts that match your description aren’t strenuous at all and the worst potential unit doesn’t have to be very strenuous if you don’t want it to be.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I only need about 6 hours notice to be packed up and ready to go for an elk hunt. If my knees weren't so bad right now, I'd be willing to drive down to AZ and give you a hand.....never hunted AZ before. Just go and put all your effort into it and have a great time.

DBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Please please please don’t put the unit. You’ll be just fine. Do you have the whole hunt off? You can pm me if you need some help with the area. You will have plenty of opportunities especially if you aren’t looking to kill a monster, however I wouldn’t rule it out, great hunt to have. I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun and learn a lot. Good luck