SO LBO Tarp question

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a Seek Outside LBO Base-Tarp-Base. So I can’t quite figure out what this extra flap of material with the Velcro is about on the tarp. It’s on the eave of the tarp. I thought maybe it wrapped around the guy line when using the tarp solo but the Velcro hook and loop don’t appear to line up for that type of a configuration. What am I missing here? Any help would be appreciated.

That's Seek's sloppily designed system to cover a gap intended for airflow when it's paired with the tarp. They opted to use a flap to cover the airhole, but didn't understand any better ways to incorporate a cover, so they used those two awkwardly placed velcro tabs so it doesn't flap about in the wind. It literally affixes to no other components in the system. Seek has great ideas laced with poor execution.

gfreidy

WKR
Maybe you are right. I do think you will find quite a few in this forum that will disagree with you about SO “sloppily designed” and “poor execution”. Of the outdoor companies I put my trust in, Seek Outside has earned their way to the top on my list.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's Seek's sloppily designed system to cover a gap intended for airflow when it's paired with the tarp. They opted to use a flap to cover the airhole, but didn't understand any better ways to incorporate a cover, so they used those two awkwardly placed velcro tabs so it doesn't flap about in the wind. It literally affixes to no other components in the system. Seek has great ideas laced with poor execution.
I'll chime in here. We are probably our own harshest critic, and we encourage any and all feedback, even if it is harsh. We are always focused on continuous improvement in our products and delivery. If we are not innovating and being our own critics then someone else will.

However, let me explain it's purpose of the piece in question. The tarp, specifically has more than one use case. The first use case in in base - tarp - base. In that case both ends of the tarp are covered under the beak of the base part of the LBO system. However, for many users the flexibility and value shine when going from LBO base - vestibule to LBO base - tarp - vestibule its simply less pieces to buy to go from a smaller and lighter backpacking shelter to a larger hot tent system. The vestibule piece has an open gap , since it resides under the beak of the base. Therefore without the velcro , you would have an opening at the top in the base - tarp - vestibule configuration. Without that , you would either have a hole in the top in one configuration or you would have two different tarp SKU's which would then make customers buy more segments and increase delivery times or raise the prices of the hole system. The LBO is not perfect, its hard to get every configuration of it's kind to be perfectly clean. However, to our knowledge the LBO system was the first of it's kind, and is also very unique in the flexibility it provides before multiple configurations.