So many boots! Honest opinion on best!

Mosby

WKR
I don't think there is a "best" boot and if there is, it varies by person and what you're using it for. My Irish Setters I wear bird hunting are just as comfortable as my Lowa Tibet's I wear for elk. My Muck's are comfortable walking on flat ground but I wouldn't want to elk hunt in them. I have a bunch of boots. Different brands, insulation, materials, soles and construction. They all have there time and place and all fit my foot and are comfortable or I would get rid of them,

Hikein

FNG
I have a boot problem! Obsession? I think I’ve tried/owned most too. I have Crispi Nevada on my feet right now, super comfortable and easy break in and ready to go at purchase. Other boots have had fit my foot better like Zamberlan. I wear boots like these everyday in my shop and weekends at farm, on the mountain;
Kenetrek- Very solid boots. Make sure it fits you correctly. Wore Extreme’s 4-5 winters.
HanWag- Alaska GTX. Maybe the toughest boot I’ve ever had. Not the most comfortable however, but top insoles make my feet happier.
Zamberlan- 960 Guide Gtx I haven’t worn much yet. I’m self-employed handcrafting once at a time high end ____. So, when I saw the stitching, and workmanship, careful attention to detail I wanted them. They feel good so far.
Lowa- Super tough. Feel much like HanWag, but maybe a touch more flexible and comfortable.
Schnee, White’s, Asolo and many other, possible some listed above that are made in Italy are coming out of the same factory, just rebadged and tweaked for brand differentiation. I do like best the boot company that has always been a boot company that makes in house their own boots. That said, all of the boots mentioned, and many not are very very good boots. Try them all. Leave them on your feet longer than three minutes. Fully lace them up, both of them and walk around the store. And try on different brands at same time. If you are near Richfield Utah go to Gary’s Shoes. Can’t recommend strong enough. Good luck.

WRM

WKR
Sadly, the last time I was in REI (three different stores) the boot selection had diminished considerably. I found out about Zamberlans there years ago, but no decent boot in sight at any of the ones I went to recently.

OP--have your foot measured with a Brannock device. That is the metal contraption that every real shoe store used to have. May take a couple of stops before you find someone that still has one. The results of a real measurement may surprise you.

I did just see that REI still has a decent online boot selection. Become a member (if you're not)--at least two benefits. First, you get money back for most purchases. Second you get a year on most things to return them. If you pick something that is no bueno, return it and get your money back. And, you can return your initial rejects to a store if you're near one or all at one time by mail (and their return costs usually are pretty reasonable).

September seems like a long time away, but you do need to move on it. Even in "normal" times you'd want to be getting on this soon. If you ruin your feet with poor fitting boots, you'll be on the sidelines.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Lowa Caminos I really like. I think I've had them for 3 years, not sure if they still make that ones. They're still holding up really well, but they're not waterproof anymore. Anyways I wanted to try something different last year and got a pair of Scarpa Ribelles.

I recommended REI if you have it like everyone else, but I have to agree they were super thin on selection last summer. I ended up having them send me 4 pairs and then returned them to the store in person.

BlaserLRH

FNG
When I bought my first Lowa Hunter GTX yhe way I hunt changed dramatically... I even bought the lowa tibet Hi uninsulated for mtn training...
Cabelas use to have the meindl line and hooked me up
I really think we need 2-3 pairs for different terrain; a trully mtn boot, a mild stiff boot and a hiker type
Hikers love the Salomon Quest 4 , which I will have to try soon.

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
The boots I put the most miles on were Raichles. I kick myself often for throwing them away when they finally wore out. I should have taken them to a cobbler and just had them repaired.

After trying a few different kinds I’m now using the Kenetrek Everstep Orthopedics. I have a bunch of metal in my legs and my left leg is slightly paralyzed from nerve damage so the toe rocker in these boots works really well for me. My gimpy leg also means I have really bad balance, and the support braces has saved me from a twisted or sprained ankle more time than I can count.

I am looking to get the 200G Kuiu Scarpas for using with crampons on some mountaineering trips up Mt Baker and St Helens next year, if anyone has used them and has opinions I’d love to hear them.

OP
C
When I bought my first Lowa Hunter GTX yhe way I hunt changed dramatically... I even bought the lowa tibet Hi uninsulated for mtn training...
Cabelas use to have the meindl line and hooked me up
I really think we need 2-3 pairs for different terrain; a trully mtn boot, a mild stiff boot and a hiker type
Hikers love the Salomon Quest 4 , which I will have to try soon.

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk
I love my Salomon’s for hiking, but that is where I know they belong. I didn’t think they were going to be insulated enough for potential bad weather and/or snow on the ground for a hunt. They are great for me as I have a narrow foot though.

505Wapiti

WKR
To the OP, I think the “best” is subjective at best. I share the same angst every time I buy a pair. I have what I consider not normal feet so it’s hard for me. I’ve been a little underwhelmed the majority of past purchases but blame my feet more so than the boot manufacturer. I’ve mostly been in Danner, kenetrek, etc. and to date for myself and my wife, our Zamberlan boots have been the best so far… and ironically, Camofire is where the last 3 pair of Zamberlans came from. So many good ones on the market it’s really hard to say for sure until you put them on your own feet and put some miles on them.

Iceman82

FNG
I purchased a pair of Lathrop and sons a while back. I had the custom fit done, and they fit amazing. I probably only have 20 miles on them for now but they are incredibly comfortable. The only down side is they are a bit heavier than some.

jpmulk

WKR
My favorite boots are my oboz bridgers. More affordable and comfortable. So far they have survived well. Durable. I take care of them though

Ive also used Lowas and enjoyed those. Also very tough.

JHDoritos

FNG
The last couple years I have been wearing the insulated Crispi Briksdal and will definitely be ordering another pair. maybe the non insulated version. they have held up great. Ive used alot of the other big names and they are solid, still wear some of them. The Birksdals are the first ones ive recommended to friends.

I love my Lowa Renegades as well but all boots have a place. My Lowa Renegades I wear most of the year around the hiking, scouting and town but they are not the boot I will ever wear if I’m ever going to be packing a heavy pack while side hilling and over blow down trees. Rolled my ankle with a heavy pack in poor ankle support boots and would never allow that to happen again, Imagine be stuck on the side of a mountain with a wrecked ankle and a heavy pack….and no help. Never again! Buy the boots that fit & offer you the best ankle support and break them in properly. They will be your best support on the hunt. Not noticed when your running around before the shoot but you will be truly thankful when carrying out a heavy load, after a successful hunt, having that amazing ankle support.